System Recovery did not solve problem..any ideas?

Hello,

I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and the folks
at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and earthlink
and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my software for my
printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and dowloaded
adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my computer kept
trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had been a virus
detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee acted as
though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my task bar and
now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M") in my task
bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment, there seems to
several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive recovery
rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would this make?
any help would be appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about system recovery solve problem ideas

    You state that you downloaded Adaware. Did you install it and run it?
    Also downloaded that latest updates to it?

    "Melissa" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and the folks
    > at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and earthlink
    > and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my software for my
    > printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and dowloaded
    > adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my computer kept
    > trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had been a virus
    > detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee acted as
    > though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my task bar and
    > now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M") in my task
    > bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment, there seems to
    > several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
    > about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive recovery
    > rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would this make?
    > any help would be appreciated.

    Yes, I ran the adaware....I have used that program before and was pleased
    with it. I do not believe that this is the root cause of my problem. Do you
    think it sounds like it is?

    "Byte" wrote:

    > You state that you downloaded Adaware. Did you install it and run it?
    > Also downloaded that latest updates to it?
    >
    > "Melissa" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and the folks
    > > at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and earthlink
    > > and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my software for my
    > > printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and dowloaded
    > > adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my computer kept
    > > trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had been a virus
    > > detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee acted as
    > > though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my task bar and
    > > now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M") in my task
    > > bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment, there seems to
    > > several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
    > > about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive recovery
    > > rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would this make?
    > > any help would be appreciated.

    It sounds to me that you did not perform a Restore but in fact used the
    RESTORE [recovery] CD set and reimaged the PC and then added extra software.

    If you performed this task and then worked on the internet without the
    firewall or antivirus and anti spamware installed it is most likely that you
    would be infected one way or another.

    I suggest that you:
    1. bootup in SAFE mode
    2. Run Anti Virus full system scan
    3. Run Anti Spyware Full SYstem Scan
    4. Run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware -
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Once you have performed all these tasks, then you can expect the PC to be
    relatively safe.

    Reboot into normal mode, download or get a CD version and then install SP2
    and make sure you turn on the Firewall.

    "Melissa" wrote:

    > Yes, I ran the adaware....I have used that program before and was pleased
    > with it. I do not believe that this is the root cause of my problem. Do you
    > think it sounds like it is?
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    > > You state that you downloaded Adaware. Did you install it and run it?
    > > Also downloaded that latest updates to it?
    > >
    > > "Melissa" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and the folks
    > > > at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and earthlink
    > > > and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my software for my
    > > > printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and dowloaded
    > > > adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my computer kept
    > > > trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had been a virus
    > > > detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee acted as
    > > > though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my task bar and
    > > > now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M") in my task
    > > > bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment, there seems to
    > > > several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
    > > > about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive recovery
    > > > rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would this make?
    > > > any help would be appreciated.

    Download Mcaffee's stinger and run it.

    Then get rid of Mcaffee and get a real antivirus software and a real
    firewall. Also do not rely totally on Adaware. Get Spybot Search and
    destroy also!

    I prefer Zonealarm Pro for my firewall and Pccillin for my antivirus.
    The two don't coexist very well and more so I went to Zonealarm
    Security Suite.

    Here's a link to thier firewall/antivirus
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/zaav/zaav_details.jsp?lid=ho_zaav.
    Cheaper than the security suite.

    Melissa

    I agree with BAR that you need to confirm you do not have a virus. It
    could be from what you say that the virus has disabled your anti-virus
    programme.

    You can try an online virus scan. Try this link:

    However, I fear the online scan may not work. If this is so try
    downloading Stinger to another computer and load it on to a floppy and
    set the tab to prevent it being written to. Turn System Restore off on
    your computer to eliminate any virus infection in existing restore
    points ( right click My Computer icon on Desktop, select Properties,
    System Restore and check box to turn off ). Then run Stinger in safe
    mode on your computer. Make a note of all viruses it detects. Next
    update the definitions for the anti-virus programme you have and run it.

    If you have found one or more viruses you could also be infected with
    malware. Use Disk CleanUp to remove Temporary Internet Files and then
    run Adaware with updated definitions. Turn System Restore back on.

    Next create a new folder named Sysclean (e.g., C:\Program
    files\Sysclean, or just a desktop folder).
    Download Sysclean.com (http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp) and
    place it in this folder.

    Download the latest Controlled Pattern Release zip
    (http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp, e.g., lpt123.zip) and
    extract its contents to the same folder. See the Readme text file for
    additional instructions.

    Run Sysclean.

    Please let us know how you got on.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, I ran the adaware....I have used that program before and was
    > pleased
    > with it. I do not believe that this is the root cause of my problem.
    > Do you
    > think it sounds like it is?
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    >> You state that you downloaded Adaware. Did you install it and run
    >> it?
    >> Also downloaded that latest updates to it?
    >>
    >> "Melissa" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and
    >> > the folks
    >> > at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and
    >> > earthlink
    >> > and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my
    >> > software for my
    >> > printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and
    >> > dowloaded
    >> > adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my
    >> > computer kept
    >> > trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had
    >> > been a virus
    >> > detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee
    >> > acted as
    >> > though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my
    >> > task bar and
    >> > now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M")
    >> > in my task
    >> > bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment,
    >> > there seems to
    >> > several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas?
    >> > I am
    >> > about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive
    >> > recovery
    >> > rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would
    >> > this make?
    >> > any help would be appreciated.

System Recovery Windows XP