System Recovery did not solve problem..any ideas?

Tags:
  • System Recovery
  • Windows XP
March 21, 2005 3:41:02 PM

Hello,

I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and the folks
at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and earthlink
and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my software for my
printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and dowloaded
adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my computer kept
trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had been a virus
detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee acted as
though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my task bar and
now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M") in my task
bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment, there seems to
several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive recovery
rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would this make?
any help would be appreciated.

More about : system recovery solve problem ideas

March 21, 2005 3:57:03 PM

You state that you downloaded Adaware. Did you install it and run it?
Also downloaded that latest updates to it?

"Melissa" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and the folks
> at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and earthlink
> and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my software for my
> printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and dowloaded
> adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my computer kept
> trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had been a virus
> detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee acted as
> though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my task bar and
> now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M") in my task
> bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment, there seems to
> several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
> about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive recovery
> rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would this make?
> any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 4:25:02 PM

Yes, I ran the adaware....I have used that program before and was pleased
with it. I do not believe that this is the root cause of my problem. Do you
think it sounds like it is?

"Byte" wrote:

> You state that you downloaded Adaware. Did you install it and run it?
> Also downloaded that latest updates to it?
>
> "Melissa" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and the folks
> > at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and earthlink
> > and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my software for my
> > printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and dowloaded
> > adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my computer kept
> > trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had been a virus
> > detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee acted as
> > though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my task bar and
> > now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M") in my task
> > bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment, there seems to
> > several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
> > about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive recovery
> > rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would this make?
> > any help would be appreciated.
Related resources
March 21, 2005 5:31:05 PM

It sounds to me that you did not perform a Restore but in fact used the
RESTORE [recovery] CD set and reimaged the PC and then added extra software.

If you performed this task and then worked on the internet without the
firewall or antivirus and anti spamware installed it is most likely that you
would be infected one way or another.

I suggest that you:
1. bootup in SAFE mode
2. Run Anti Virus full system scan
3. Run Anti Spyware Full SYstem Scan
4. Run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware -

Once you have performed all these tasks, then you can expect the PC to be
relatively safe.

Reboot into normal mode, download or get a CD version and then install SP2
and make sure you turn on the Firewall.

"Melissa" wrote:

> Yes, I ran the adaware....I have used that program before and was pleased
> with it. I do not believe that this is the root cause of my problem. Do you
> think it sounds like it is?
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > You state that you downloaded Adaware. Did you install it and run it?
> > Also downloaded that latest updates to it?
> >
> > "Melissa" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I did a system recovery on my computer after numerous problems and the folks
> > > at HP helped me as much as possible. I reinstalled my Mcafee and earthlink
> > > and seeminglingly everything was fine. I then reinstalled my software for my
> > > printer, scanner, etc. So, far so good. Then I got online and dowloaded
> > > adaware and still everything seemed good. All of the sudden my computer kept
> > > trying to kick me offline and then I got a notice that there had been a virus
> > > detected, did I want to run a scan? When I answered yes, Mcafee acted as
> > > though it would start and then flashed and disapeared out of my task bar and
> > > now everytime I try to click on it, it duplicates its symbol ("M") in my task
> > > bar and will not operate. Also, when I attempt to defragment, there seems to
> > > several things it "can't" defragment. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
> > > about at whit's end. I will note that I did a non-desstructive recovery
> > > rather than a destructive one....how much of a difference would this make?
> > > any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:38:57 PM

Download Mcaffee's stinger and run it.

Then get rid of Mcaffee and get a real antivirus software and a real
firewall. Also do not rely totally on Adaware. Get Spybot Search and
destroy also!

I prefer Zonealarm Pro for my firewall and Pccillin for my antivirus.
The two don't coexist very well and more so I went to Zonealarm
Security Suite.

Here's a link to thier firewall/antivirus
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/....
Cheaper than the security suite.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:47:42 AM

Melissa

I agree with BAR that you need to confirm you do not have a virus. It
could be from what you say that the virus has disabled your anti-virus
programme.

You can try an online virus scan. Try this link:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...

However, I fear the online scan may not work. If this is so try
downloading Stinger to another computer and load it on to a floppy and
set the tab to prevent it being written to. Turn System Restore off on
your computer to eliminate any virus infection in existing restore
points ( right click My Computer icon on Desktop, select Properties,
System Restore and check box to turn off ). Then run Stinger in safe
mode on your computer. Make a note of all viruses it detects. Next
update the definitions for the anti-virus programme you have and run it.

If you have found one or more viruses you could also be infected with
malware. Use Disk CleanUp to remove Temporary Internet Files and then
run Adaware with updated definitions. Turn System Restore back on.

Next create a new folder named Sysclean (e.g., C:\Program
files\Sysclean, or just a desktop folder).
Download Sysclean.com (http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp) and
place it in this folder.

Download the latest Controlled Pattern Release zip
(http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp, e.g., lpt123.zip) and
extract its contents to the same folder. See the Readme text file for
additional instructions.

Run Sysclean.

Please let us know how you got on.

--