Cant get ebooks on Zire 72

July 25, 2005 12:27:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I bought and downloaded a ebook for my Zire 72 from ebooks.com and cant
get it on my Zire 72. I am using Mac OSX, so I had to avoid all the
download instructions. The ebook was downloaded in the Adobe reader
format (only one that seems to work with the Mac). The file opens on my
Mac, but its a pdf file! I thought ebooks were their own format? Well
I tried to install the file over to my Zire using the Palm Pdf program,
but it keeps on telling me that the file is damaged or something. I use
Adobe Acrobat reader for the Palm os to copy pdf files over to my Palm.

All this is odd, because I thought that Palm Reader opened ebooks.
Maybe I should request a refund from ebooks.com, unless someone here can
help.

Thanks,

John

--
CERM- Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
season and out of season; correct, rebuke
and encourage ‹ with great patience and careful instruction.

AIM: Crucifyself03

More about : ebooks zire

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:05:38 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:27:14 -0700, Bible John wrote:

> I bought and downloaded a ebook for my Zire 72 from ebooks.com and cant
> get it on my Zire 72. I am using Mac OSX, so I had to avoid all the
> download instructions. The ebook was downloaded in the Adobe reader
> format (only one that seems to work with the Mac). The file opens on my
> Mac, but its a pdf file! I thought ebooks were their own format? Well
> I tried to install the file over to my Zire using the Palm Pdf program,
> but it keeps on telling me that the file is damaged or something. I use
> Adobe Acrobat reader for the Palm os to copy pdf files over to my Palm.
>
> All this is odd, because I thought that Palm Reader opened ebooks.
> Maybe I should request a refund from ebooks.com, unless someone here can
> help.

You need to get the converter from Adobe. This converts pdf's to a smaller
format, suitable for your palm. Just install onto your mac and feed it the
..pdf,s then sync.

grC!
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:05:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <pan.2005.07.25.16.05.38.347471@monster.hornstra.com>,
Cathelijne Hornstra <lijnRemoveThisSillyPhrase@monster.hornstra.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:27:14 -0700, Bible John wrote:
>
> > I bought and downloaded a ebook for my Zire 72 from ebooks.com and cant
> > get it on my Zire 72. I am using Mac OSX, so I had to avoid all the
> > download instructions. The ebook was downloaded in the Adobe reader
> > format (only one that seems to work with the Mac). The file opens on my
> > Mac, but its a pdf file! I thought ebooks were their own format? Well
> > I tried to install the file over to my Zire using the Palm Pdf program,
> > but it keeps on telling me that the file is damaged or something. I use
> > Adobe Acrobat reader for the Palm os to copy pdf files over to my Palm.
> >
> > All this is odd, because I thought that Palm Reader opened ebooks.
> > Maybe I should request a refund from ebooks.com, unless someone here can
> > help.
>
> You need to get the converter from Adobe. This converts pdf's to a smaller
> format, suitable for your palm. Just install onto your mac and feed it the
> .pdf,s then sync.
>
> grC!

Fixed the problem by upgrading to using ereader.com instead. I'll never
use ebooks.com again.

John

--
CERM- Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
season and out of season; correct, rebuke
and encourage — with great patience and careful instruction.

AIM: Crucifyself03
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 11:27:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Bible John wrote...

> I bought and downloaded a ebook for my Zire 72 from
> ebooks.com and cant get it on my Zire 72. I am using Mac
> OSX, so I had to avoid all the download instructions. The
> ebook was downloaded in the Adobe reader format (only one
> that seems to work with the Mac). The file opens on my
> Mac, but its a pdf file! I thought ebooks were their own
> format? Well I tried to install the file over to my Zire
> using the Palm Pdf program, but it keeps on telling me that
> the file is damaged or something. I use Adobe Acrobat
> reader for the Palm os to copy pdf files over to my Palm.
>
> All this is odd, because I thought that Palm Reader opened
> ebooks. Maybe I should request a refund from ebooks.com,
> unless someone here can help.
>

> Thanks,
>

> John

What reader are you using to read the book? The Palm eReader
won't open pdf files, only its own pdf's and text files.

-lisa
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:22:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <john.doggett-B22B7D.08271425072005@news.supernews.com>,
Bible John <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:

> I bought and downloaded a ebook for my Zire 72 from ebooks.com and cant
> get it on my Zire 72. I am using Mac OSX, so I had to avoid all the
> download instructions. The ebook was downloaded in the Adobe reader
> format (only one that seems to work with the Mac). The file opens on my
> Mac, but its a pdf file! I thought ebooks were their own format? Well
> I tried to install the file over to my Zire using the Palm Pdf program,
> but it keeps on telling me that the file is damaged or something. I use
> Adobe Acrobat reader for the Palm os to copy pdf files over to my Palm.
>
> All this is odd, because I thought that Palm Reader opened ebooks.
> Maybe I should request a refund from ebooks.com, unless someone here can
> help.
>

> Thanks,
>

> John

I've just looked at the ebooks.com web site, and from what I can see,
you wanted to download the

Mobipocket

format for your PDA. The file will either arrive as a .pdb file or as a
..zip file which expands via Stuffit Expander into a .pdb file. It is
the .pdb file you transfer to your Zire.

It looks like ebooks.com has a pointer to where to get the MobiPocket
reader http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/DownLoadReade...
You can download a version of the reader that can be transferred via the
Mac to your Zire.

I use MobiPocket reader with lots of books from baen.com on my Palm
based PDA downloading files via my Mac.

I do not know of a Mac based MobiPocket format reader. So when I can, I
download a MobiPocket .pdb file and a format that can be read on my Mac
(HTML, PDF, etc...). If I can only get a Palm readable format, then so
be it.

I also download eReader format .pdb files as well. For eReader there is
a Mac version of the reader so you can read those files on either your
Mac or your Zire.

As for transferring PDF file to your Zire. You can get the Mac OS X
Adobe Reader for Palm OS utility for your Mac and the necessary Adobe
Reader for Palm, but unless you really REALY have no choice, I would
avoid it for general ebook reading. It is great if you have to read a
doc from work that was provided in only PDF while on the train, or in
the car pool, but for the most part, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Bob Harris
!