Permissions

I have XP Pro and I took of the simple file sharing for my D drive. Now all
the folders at the root wont let me create anything inside of the. I have
added my user to the root and gave the profile full rights. Premissions are
set to inherent. When I look at the permissions at root I have full control
but below that I dont have full control, I can only read. How can I restore
the premissions on this drive or set them up to allow me to own then data?
5 answers Last reply
More about permissions

    If you created a new folder, it would inherit.

    Default Permissions for Shared Folders Is Read-Only Access for Everyone:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328065

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "NewBie" <NewBie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:914F067F-B3A7-4424-9751-A5F0D1299824@microsoft.com...
    >I have XP Pro and I took of the simple file sharing for my D drive. Now all
    > the folders at the root wont let me create anything inside of the. I have
    > added my user to the root and gave the profile full rights. Premissions are
    > set to inherent. When I look at the permissions at root I have full control
    > but below that I dont have full control, I can only read. How can I restore
    > the premissions on this drive or set them up to allow me to own then data?

    Yes it would. The ones already there would not.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > If you created a new folder, it would inherit.
    >
    > Default Permissions for Shared Folders Is Read-Only Access for Everyone:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328065
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "NewBie" <NewBie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:914F067F-B3A7-4424-9751-A5F0D1299824@microsoft.com...
    > >I have XP Pro and I took of the simple file sharing for my D drive. Now all
    > > the folders at the root wont let me create anything inside of the. I have
    > > added my user to the root and gave the profile full rights. Premissions are
    > > set to inherent. When I look at the permissions at root I have full control
    > > but below that I dont have full control, I can only read. How can I restore
    > > the premissions on this drive or set them up to allow me to own then data?

    How can I get all dir to inherit? Or how can I set the permissions on the
    drive?

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > If you created a new folder, it would inherit.
    >
    > Default Permissions for Shared Folders Is Read-Only Access for Everyone:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328065
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "NewBie" <NewBie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:914F067F-B3A7-4424-9751-A5F0D1299824@microsoft.com...
    > >I have XP Pro and I took of the simple file sharing for my D drive. Now all
    > > the folders at the root wont let me create anything inside of the. I have
    > > added my user to the root and gave the profile full rights. Premissions are
    > > set to inherent. When I look at the permissions at root I have full control
    > > but below that I dont have full control, I can only read. How can I restore
    > > the premissions on this drive or set them up to allow me to own then data?

    Start, Help & Support, type in "file permissions", <ENTER> - all you needed
    to know and more about NTFS file permissions.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "NewBie" <NewBie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have XP Pro and I took of the simple file sharing for my D drive. Now
    all
    > the folders at the root wont let me create anything inside of the. I have
    > added my user to the root and gave the profile full rights. Premissions
    are
    > set to inherent. When I look at the permissions at root I have full
    control
    > but below that I dont have full control, I can only read. How can I
    restore
    > the premissions on this drive or set them up to allow me to own then data?

    P.S. File Permissions in NTFS is not a simple button click here, a box tick
    there - I've seen systems so messed up that in order to fix it we had to
    format and reinstall from scratch - to save important user files, I had to
    put the drive into another system and take full ownership of the drive to
    just navigate to areas where I could save the files. It is not something
    that should be messed with by the novice, unless they wish to spend
    hours/days recovering and/or recreating lost files.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"
    www.google.com

    "NewBie" <NewBie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have XP Pro and I took of the simple file sharing for my D drive. Now
    all
    > the folders at the root wont let me create anything inside of the. I have
    > added my user to the root and gave the profile full rights. Premissions
    are
    > set to inherent. When I look at the permissions at root I have full
    control
    > but below that I dont have full control, I can only read. How can I
    restore
    > the premissions on this drive or set them up to allow me to own then data?

Permissions Windows XP