TECH: More Dumb Tron Questions : Fuses

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I picked up a Tron upright (pics here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/tron/) that had nearly every fuse
pulled. From looking at the manual I came up with this list of fuses
needed:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/tron-fuses/

Here are my questions and thanks in advance for bearing with me...i'm still
a pup. I made the page above to make answering my questions as easy as
possible, overkill probably.

----------------------

Using the index on the left of the page, items #1, #2, and #3 I think I have
covered.

----------------------

- On #4 and #5 - I was able to find 6 amp and 10 amp fuses but they are all
rated for 250V. No good correct?

----------------------

- On #6 - I cannot seem to locate that fuse for purchase. The manual calls
for "3/8 amp" with no voltage rating.

I am assumming since a milliamp is a 1000th of an amp that 3/8 amp is .375
mA correct?

Is there something implied about the voltage rating that I am missing? i.e.
would a 3/8 amp fuse always be "X" max voltage?

NOTE: This location had a 1amp fuse installed with no apparent voltage
rating, just a pyramid symbol?
----------------------

James

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Where's Rod massman, he built one from scratch! www.kineplex.com is his
website.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

The 250 volts doesn't make a difference. Whether is gets 2 volts or 225
it'll still just pass along however many amps it's rated for. I don't know
the answer to the other questions.

Scott

www.agelessarcade.com

"James" <rotoquad@***NOSPAMTHANKS***earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I picked up a Tron upright (pics here:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/tron/) that had nearly every fuse
> pulled. From looking at the manual I came up with this list of fuses
> needed:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/tron-fuses/
>
> Here are my questions and thanks in advance for bearing with me...i'm
still
> a pup. I made the page above to make answering my questions as easy as
> possible, overkill probably.

> ----------------------
>
> Using the index on the left of the page, items #1, #2, and #3 I think I
have
> covered.

> ----------------------
>
> - On #4 and #5 - I was able to find 6 amp and 10 amp fuses but they are
all
> rated for 250V. No good correct?

> ----------------------
>
> - On #6 - I cannot seem to locate that fuse for purchase. The manual
calls
> for "3/8 amp" with no voltage rating.
>

> I am assumming since a milliamp is a 1000th of an amp that 3/8 amp is .375
> mA correct?
>
> Is there something implied about the voltage rating that I am missing?
i.e.
> would a 3/8 amp fuse always be "X" max voltage?
>
> NOTE: This location had a 1amp fuse installed with no apparent voltage
> rating, just a pyramid symbol?
> ----------------------
>
> James

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Actually, your questions are very good ones, and you are smart enough to
pretty much answer your own questions.
All of your assumptions are correct. The 250 volt rating does not matter,
its just a MAXIMUM rating.
You calculations about the 3/8th amp fuse are also correct, and fuses are
often sold as fractions, instead of decimal points.
I hate to say it, but I would just use a 1/2 amp fuse, as I have those
kicking around...but that's just me.
Be careful that you do not purchase automotive fuses, that look exactly the
same, except that they have a maximum 15volt rating. This is a common
mistake.
Kim..."A Man Of True Frankenstinean Proportions"
"James" <rotoquad@***NOSPAMTHANKS***earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I picked up a Tron upright (pics here:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/tron/) that had nearly every fuse
> pulled. From looking at the manual I came up with this list of fuses
> needed:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/tron-fuses/
>
> Here are my questions and thanks in advance for bearing with me...i'm
> still
> a pup. I made the page above to make answering my questions as easy as
> possible, overkill probably.

> ----------------------
>
> Using the index on the left of the page, items #1, #2, and #3 I think I
> have
> covered.

> ----------------------
>
> - On #4 and #5 - I was able to find 6 amp and 10 amp fuses but they are
> all
> rated for 250V. No good correct?

> ----------------------
>
> - On #6 - I cannot seem to locate that fuse for purchase. The manual
> calls
> for "3/8 amp" with no voltage rating.
>

> I am assumming since a milliamp is a 1000th of an amp that 3/8 amp is .375
> mA correct?
>
> Is there something implied about the voltage rating that I am missing?
> i.e.
> would a 3/8 amp fuse always be "X" max voltage?
>
> NOTE: This location had a 1amp fuse installed with no apparent voltage
> rating, just a pyramid symbol?
> ----------------------
>
> James

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Thanks for the input. I ended up going to Ack Electronics here in Atlanta
and made sure to get the right ones all around. 5 of each to have some
handy.

I don't mind asking the dumb questions when it comes to electronics as I am
still learning and this way I have to replace fewer PCBs etc! :)

Thanks again, now let's see if I can rescue Tron!

"Kim Sleep" <ksleep@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Actually, your questions are very good ones, and you are smart enough to
> pretty much answer your own questions.
> All of your assumptions are correct. The 250 volt rating does not matter,
> its just a MAXIMUM rating.
> You calculations about the 3/8th amp fuse are also correct, and fuses are
> often sold as fractions, instead of decimal points.
> I hate to say it, but I would just use a 1/2 amp fuse, as I have those
> kicking around...but that's just me.
> Be careful that you do not purchase automotive fuses, that look exactly
the
> same, except that they have a maximum 15volt rating. This is a common
> mistake.
> Kim..."A Man Of True Frankenstinean Proportions"
> "James" <rotoquad@***NOSPAMTHANKS***earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >I picked up a Tron upright (pics here:
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/tron/) that had nearly every fuse
> > pulled. From looking at the manual I came up with this list of fuses
> > needed:
> >
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/tron-fuses/
> >
> > Here are my questions and thanks in advance for bearing with me...i'm
> > still
> > a pup. I made the page above to make answering my questions as easy as
> > possible, overkill probably.

> > ----------------------
> >
> > Using the index on the left of the page, items #1, #2, and #3 I think I
> > have
> > covered.

> > ----------------------
> >
> > - On #4 and #5 - I was able to find 6 amp and 10 amp fuses but they are
> > all
> > rated for 250V. No good correct?

> > ----------------------
> >
> > - On #6 - I cannot seem to locate that fuse for purchase. The manual
> > calls
> > for "3/8 amp" with no voltage rating.
> >

> > I am assumming since a milliamp is a 1000th of an amp that 3/8 amp is
..375
> > mA correct?
> >
> > Is there something implied about the voltage rating that I am missing?
> > i.e.
> > would a 3/8 amp fuse always be "X" max voltage?
> >
> > NOTE: This location had a 1amp fuse installed with no apparent voltage
> > rating, just a pyramid symbol?

> > ----------------------
> >
> > James

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Well, fuses in, plugged in. No life. :(

MCP has one this round. Did a little testing, I am at least getting 120V up
to the 1st distribution block, didnt go much further than that though I did
check the voltage being sent to the monitor. When the power is on it is
around 24 mV. Will take a fresh look tommorow after a bit of reading.