Installshield Engine has encountered a Problem

I know something like this has been asked and I have searched thru them all..
but nothing seem to pertain to my problem. I am trying to install a software
that I need for my job and it goes all the way thru the install, which takes
about 10 minutes (on cable modem) and then I get this error:
INSTALLSHIELD ENGINE HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE.
Then I send the error report and close it, and thats it.. nothing was
installed or anything. I have XP with the service pak 2.
I went into windows install under services.msc and startup type is set at
Manual.
I can't find anything on the Microsoft Knowledgebase search page about this
problem..
Here is what I get when I look at the details:
Error Signature
AppName: _ins5176_mp
AppVer: 5.10.130.0
I get this under details too:
C:\Windows\Temp\94da_appcompat.txt
Thanks for any help.. I need this software for my job and there doesn't seem
to be a CD for it.. you have to d/l it from the site.
Thanks..
Barb

Error 1719. The Windows Installer service could not be accessed error message when you try to add or remove a program:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315346&Product=win2000

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509