Help with upgrading from XP to 7

tcarty326

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
hi there,
recently my computer crashed and windows xp has a corrupted file. So i decided it was time to upgrade to Windows 7! Anyway, so once i get my copy, i was planning on making another partition on my Hard drive (yes, i have enough space) and installing windows 7 on there. Sorry im digressing....I have never winter nights 2 installed on my HD so i was wondering if I would be able to play it without having to reinstall through windows 7? Thanks....also would this apply to my other games????? Thanks......

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi tcarty326 - Were you able to fix the corrupted file issue in Windows XP? If you didn't, and you are not planning to, I don't see the purpose of keeping XP on a separate partition.

You will need to reinstall any games to Windows 7 if you wish to play them in Windows 7. If you have any questions about specific games working with Windows 7, you can check the Windows 7 Compatibility Center - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Also, if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, you will be able to play your games in XP Mode.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

If thats the only problem, you can find another XP disk. You don't have to buy a new copy. Your old key will work on a new disk. Just have to make sure its the same edition and distribution as your copy.

tcarty326

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
thank you.....but im not planning on fixing it....my problem is is that my xp disc is all scratched up...so the windows etup isn't working properly so i have to get windows 7 so i can go into setup and repartiition my drives....but the reason im not putting windows 7 on C is because i need to backup my documents folder so i don;t lose all my game saves....

tcarty326

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

thanks....i have another question though....i heard something about when you upgrade form xp to 7....some of your files will be saved in a folder called "windows.old"

1. Is this even possible when upgrading from xp?

2. If it is possible, does that folder save everything in my "my documents" folder?

The only reason i'm putting it on seperate partition is that since my pc is crashed i can't retrieve the "my documents" folder.....which has all my game saves on it.....which i want to retrieve

Both Vista and 7 do this I believe.

I have not upgraded an XP machine, but I have upgrade Vista to 7. This didn't happen by default. You could format the drive and delete everything if you wanted.

But it gave an option to save your data and what it did, if I remember correctly, was move your ENTIRE hard drive to Windows.old.