Ti4600-8X detecting as Ti4800??

draxsath

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
I've just installed a ti4600-8x (MSI) to replace my ti4600 that overheated and died (the fan stoppped running and i didnt notice).

A) my proformance went down by 1000 points (3dmark2001)
B) the card detects in nvidia's drivers as a ti4800, when i check the clock speeds they are 300mhz/650mhz (concurrent with ti4600 speeds)
C) changing from 8x AGP to 4x AGP only lowers my benchmark by like 20 points!

I feel sorta cheated. though i had to replace my old ti4600 anyway since it broke, i was hoping this one woudl be at least a tiny bit faster with 8x agp and so forth...

well i'm probobly just being nitpicky, but i was wondering what was up with this. My guess is that there is no such thing as a ti4600-8x, that its just an overclocked ti4800. (the ti4800 runs at 275mhz/600mhz)

i'm just wondering if i'm the only one to notice this really.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by draxsath on 10/08/03 07:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

draxsath

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
just a quick note, i only got a GF4 again because the FX's are a waste of money in my opinion. the FX 5900 ultra is the only one thats any good and again, its really expinsive.

G

Captain Obvious says read his first post!
The previous card burnt up and died due to a failed fan!

And the Captain surmises that he doesn't have the money for a really significant upgrade!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
8x does nothing for performance. Some nVidia 8x cards come with faster memory than their 4x counterparts, which adds performance on it's own, and using the card at 8x still provides no gains.

I have no idea why your benchmark performance decreased. Did you do anything to the software or simply replace the card?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>