Rreinstall

Hello,

I would like to reinstall my computer's original OS (winME) with the
install discs that came with it. They are bootable CDs, but when I boot
with it (or any other bootable disk), I can't see the C: drive. How can I
work around this to format the drive and reinstall winME?

Thanks,
Andrew
3 answers Last reply
More about rreinstall

    How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
    Repartition a Hard Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;25586

    1. Delete the existing Windows XP partition.
    2. Create a new partition.
    3. Format the new partition FAT32.
    4. Install your desired Operating System

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in

    > How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
    > Repartition a Hard Disk
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;25586
    >
    > 1. Delete the existing Windows XP partition.
    > 2. Create a new partition.
    > 3. Format the new partition FAT32.
    > 4. Install your desired Operating System

    But I run into a problem when I boot up with the CD or a disk and I can't
    find the C: drive. Isn't that some sort of XP "protection" against boot
    disks?

    Andrew

    "Andrew Clark" <lark047@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
    >> Repartition a Hard Disk
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;25586
    >>
    >> 1. Delete the existing Windows XP partition.
    >> 2. Create a new partition.
    >> 3. Format the new partition FAT32.
    >> 4. Install your desired Operating System
    >>

    > But I run into a problem when I boot up with the CD or a disk and I can't
    > find the C: drive. Isn't that some sort of XP "protection" against boot
    > disks?
    >
    > Andrew

    Andrew,

    If the Drive was formatted as NTFS, you will not be able to access it. You
    have to delete the drive partitions. Type fdisk in the prompt. From there
    you will be able to delete the partition then re-create a partition. After
    this is accomplished, you can now format. Refer to Carey's Post About "How
    to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard
    Disk". This is very self-explanatory. If you cannot do this, find a
    qualified person that can.

    --
    William

Windows XP