Help make a new HDD bootable

Folks,

I need some assistance in getting my new hard drive to be bootable in
XP. Here is the background.

I have a Sony desktop (PCVRX572 purchased in Thanksgiving 2001) that
came with a 60Gb hard drive and XP Home. Over the past few years, I
have accumulated programs and data leading to a close to full drive. I
purchased a new Seagate 200Gb HDD with the intent of replacing the
original.

Installed the new HDD as a slave via an add-on controller card (Promise
UTA100TX2 ) that came bundled with another drive (Western Digital 160Gb
HDD). After a bunch of system updates (BIOS, ATAPI.SYS, etc), the
system recognizes the full capacity of 200 Gb in XP as well as during
the boot sequence. I then installed XP Pro onto the new HDD (atleast
that is what I thought). Did not think much when the system showed a
dual boot option (XP Home and XP Pro) after the installation was
complete. Spent the last few days, installing other applns including
Office 2003, IM, Spyware, AV, etc....

Here is the problem - when I disconnected the original (master drive)
and configured the new drive to be the master, I could not get the
system up. Error of 'NOT A SYSTEM DISK'. Reverted back to the original
config of master and slave. Brought the system up and noticed that
there were no boot files on the new HDD! All boot files were on the
original disk.

Short of having to re-do all of the work, can some one please share a
fix to make the new HDD a boot drive?

NO, I do not want to clone the original drive to the new drive. I have
GHOST 2003 but do not want all the Sony junk and other junk from the
old drive.

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers
Subbarayudu
(x-posted into ms.public.winxp.(hardware); (setup_deployment);
(help_and_support))

bar

Have you tried to connect the 200Gb drive to the Computer as Primary Master
to the on board IDE controller and disconnect the original drive?

It appears that you created a 'dual boot system' having installed a second
version of XP onto a second drive.

The boot.ini files on the first version of XP will point to itself as the
primary XP system and your 200Gb drive as the second.

By removing the Sony disk, you may have a chance at running.

If the system still bellyaches, leave the 200Gb as Primary Master and Boot
off the installation CD and do a repair install.

It will reestablish the 200Gb unit as the ONLY operating system and make it
bootable.

Afterwards connect the original drive as a secondary IDE channel or slave to
the 200Gb unit.

Without the dual boot section in boot.ini of your 200Gb drive, the original
disk will just be regarded as 'data'.