LAST Q's -lil'o'lady- ALMOSTready 2 reformat/reload

BOY! have i learned a lot in the last 5 weeks!

My computer stats are at the bottom. I have a little black box from Comcast
connected to my computer. It’s fast. I have a warranty with Dell, but it
doesn’t cover this stuff. The tech support guy I was assigned to said he’s
“swamped� and will call me when he has time. That was 2 weeks ago. Dell sent
me the reload-for-dummies set of 4 disks with EVERYTHING [originally loaded]
on it.

I apologize for the length of this, but I’m ready to do this and have a few
questions that must be answered for me to continue and I want to make sure my
list of tasks is accurate.
I’ll start with the OUTLINE of the LONG task list and then the questions.

If you don’t know the background: my computer caught a cold and I couldn’t
get rid of a few nasty files, so I’m going to reformat and reload. I’m ~ not
young ~ and mentally challenged, so this is extremely difficult for me. I’m
intelligent but V E R Y slow.

I changed the order of some things, mainly because I’m totally afraid of the
web now. So please let me know whether the changes don’t work.

Pre-installation:
*Download Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, CWShredder programs onto disk.
*Disconnect peripherals, network/modem cable.
*Go to BIOS and set CDROM as boot device before hard drive.
*Install Windows XP.

Post-installation & pre-internet connection:
*Enable Windows firewall. Run Network Setup Wizard.
*Install Service Pack 2 [from CD].
*Reconnect printer.
*Run Disk Defragmenter.
*Enable Windows Firewall in Windows XP SP2.
*Load Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, CWShredder [from CD] then reboot into safe mode
and run the applications.
*Test hardware devices.
*Set up users.
*Customize the system.
*Defrag system drive.
*Install/ run software.
*Set up Windows Automatic Updates.

[Now’s the scary part] connect to internet:
*Install Windows Updates.
*Update Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, CWShredder.
*Download the Latest BIOS.

QUESTIONS:
*At what point should I load the software for the printer?
*At what point should I load the software for the modem?
*At what point should I reconnect the printer?
*At what point should I reconnect the comcast modem?

When reformatting\reinstalling:
*Must I choose FAT32 or NTFS format? If so, which should I choose?
*In the instructions it says, “In the opening OOBE phase, set up your
network/Internet connection, which is required for activation and
registration.� It seems I must connect to the modem? If so, the computer is
in jeopardy. Can I do this later?

*ANY ADVICE? I can’t find my product key on the disks. Dell loaded
everything originally and I have the disks, but no number located.

*CAN I DO THIS W/O BEING CONNECTED TO THE WEB? HOW? Set up Windows Automatic
Updates.

*To run the Network Setup Wizard do I have to connect to the modem? If so,
wouldn’t the computer be vulnerable at that time?

*An MVP helper said, “Automatic Update of Windows SP2 is not the best. You
are better able to avoid internet issues and other possible issues if you
have SP-2 on CD….�
HOW WILL IT HELP MY COMPUTER IF IT ISN’T INSTALLED? HOW DO I USE IT FROM
THE CD?

*Reading the MVP firewall info, it seems I should I disable the SP2 firewall
and use the Norton firewall only. IS THAT CORRECT? IF NOT, WHAT
SHOULD I DO?

WHERE CAN I FIND SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOW TO DO THESE THINGS IF IT WOULD
TAKE TOO MUCH TIME TO ANSWER HERE?
*Go to BIOS and set CDROM as boot device before hard drive.
*Check to make sure you have all updated drivers.
*Run chkdsk to check file system.
*Perform Disk Cleanup.
*Go to MSCONFIG.
*Login as an Administrator.
*Download the Latest BIOS.

*If I use mozilla instead of IE [suggested by MVP person], will it work with
outlook?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 8300
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 2/23/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
File System NTSF
Size 74.46 GB
13 answers Last reply
More about last lady almostready reformat reload

    Hello ,
    You will need to install you cable modem before you connect to the
    InternetYyou will need your software for it as well. You did not say what
    type you are using but if you are using Mootrolla, I would recomend getting a
    broand band router from Belkin or Linskys to use with it. I have Comcast also
    and since I installed a router I have not had near as much trouble with
    security issues. As far as installing your printer you can do that any time
    after you install XP. You did not say if it is a plug and play printer or
    not. If not, hook up the printer, then run the software. The wizard will
    walk you through the steps to take. If all goes well you, will be prompted to
    run a test page . It might be easier for you to download SP2 from Microsoft
    update site than using the CD
    .. There can be problems no matter which you choose but it seems more people
    have trouble with the CD than the download, although I am not sure why.
    Also if you have disc's from Dell, they will do most of the work for you,
    as far as restoring your system goes. You will still have to install SP2
    unless the OS came with it.
    It sounds like you have done your homework and are pretty well prepared.
    Please post back and let us know how you are doing. You will find lots of
    folks here willing to help you. Best of luck to you.
    Ron J

    "searchless" <searchless1-delete-@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > TAKE TOO MUCH TIME TO ANSWER HERE?
    > *Go to BIOS and set CDROM as boot device before hard drive.
    > *Check to make sure you have all updated drivers.
    > *Run chkdsk to check file system.
    > *Perform Disk Cleanup.
    > *Go to MSCONFIG.
    > *Login as an Administrator.
    > *Download the Latest BIOS.
    >
    > *If I use mozilla instead of IE [suggested by MVP person], will it work
    > with
    > outlook?
    >

    > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    > System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    > System Model Dimension 8300
    > System Type X86-based PC
    > Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 2/23/2004

    You should install some Anti-virus software.

    AVG (free)
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

    --
    William

    When you say you downloaded to "disk", I do hope you mean to a CD. When you
    do a reinstall you "may" lose everything off the hard drive, including what
    you just downloaded to help you in the reinstall.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> [...]
    > *Go to MSCONFIG.
    > *Login as an Administrator.
    > *Download the Latest BIOS.
    >
    > *If I use mozilla instead of IE [suggested by MVP person], will it work
    > with
    > outlook?
    >

    > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    > System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    > System Model Dimension 8300
    > System Type X86-based PC
    > Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 2/23/2004
    > SMBIOS Version 2.3
    > Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    > File System NTSF
    > Size 74.46 GB

    > You should install some Anti-virus software.

    thanks, william,
    oh, so sorry, i forgot to say that i have norton internet security [includes
    anti-virus]
    IS AVG DIFFERENT ~ BETTER?
    love & peace, lorain

    You’re so kind, Ron. Thank you.

    [system stats below]

    ***before i reply to your questions... I just realized that what freaks me
    out the MOST is not having access to you wonderful folks when I'm offline and
    come to a techie word I don’t understand in the middle of one of these
    processes. This happens a lot. I spend a LOT of time looking up words on the
    net techie dictionary site. But I wo’nt have access to it!! IS THERE
    ANYONE OUT THERE WHO WOULD BE WILLING TO BE ON THE PHONE WITH ME DURING THE
    OFFWEB TIME? I know it’s ridiculous in this crazy time to ask this, for
    your “protection� as well as mine. I’m just old enough to come from a place
    in my being where I still assume that people will trust each other. Nieve, I
    guess, but you know what they say about old dogs.

    The little “black box� cable modem is by Scientific Atlanta, DCP2100 series,
    I hava a CD for it. Didn’t see “Mootrolla� on it anywhere. If you don’t
    advise me otherwise, I’ll assume that it is sufficient.

    The printer is HP office jet 4100. Don’t know what “plug & play� is. I
    have a CD for it. If you don’t advise me otherwise, I’ll plug it in after
    installing XP and insert the CD…hopefully it will tell me what to do [in
    language I understand].

    OTHER QUESTIONS:

[...]

    comcast cable modem by Scientific Atlanta, DCP2100 series, I hava a CD for
    it.
    HP office jet 4100 printer. I have a CD for it.

    HEY CRUSTY, wondered when you'd say hi to this lil'o'lady ;)

    "Richard Urban" wrote:
    > When you say you downloaded to "disk", I do hope you mean to a CD.
    YES
    > When you do a reinstall you "may" lose everything off the hard drive....
    I HOPE SO!
    > Regards, Richard Urban
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH! AGE IMPOSES HUMILITY.

    IF I MAY REITTERATE QUESTIONS NOT ANSWERED YET... but first a ~ possibly
    unreasonable ~ request.

    ***I just realized that what freaks me out the MOST is not having access to
    you wonderful folks when I'm offline and come to a techie word I don’t
    understand in the middle of one of these processes. This happens a lot. I
    spend a LOT of time looking up words on the net techie dictionary site. But
    I wo’nt have access to it!! IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO WOULD BE WILLING
    TO BE ON THE PHONE WITH ME DURING THE OFFWEB TIME? I know it’s ridiculous
    in this crazy time to ask this, for your “protection� as well as mine. I’m
    just old enough to come from a place in my being where I still assume that
    people will trust each other. Nieve, I guess, but you know what they say
    about old dogs.

    [system stats @ bottom]
    QUESTIONS:

    searchless wrote:

    > I changed the order of some things, mainly because I’m totally afraid of the
    > web now. So please let me know whether the changes don’t work.
    >
    > Pre-installation:
    > *Download Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, CWShredder programs onto disk.

    These products are purely re-active and remedial in nature, and
    therefore are of use only *after* you've been hit by adware and spyware;
    there's no need for them yet. Even more importantly, have an antivirus
    application and decent firewall application available on CD for
    immediate installation. I'd suggest the free version of GriSoft's AVG
    (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the free version of
    Sygate's Personal Firewall (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ).
    Both have proven to be easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective.

    > *Disconnect peripherals, network/modem cable.

    Fine.

    > *Go to BIOS and set CDROM as boot device before hard drive.

    It may already be the default setting, but make it so, if necessary.

    > *Install Windows XP.
    >
    > Post-installation & pre-internet connection:

    *(1)* Install antivirus and firewall applications of choice.

    > *Enable Windows firewall.

    Only if you haven't already installed and enabled a superior product.
    WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks, and
    hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP's firewall does not do, is
    protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone else using
    your computer) might download and install inadvertently. It doesn't
    monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for IP-spoofing,
    much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the questionable
    out-going signals. It assumes that any application you have on your
    hard drive is there because you want it there, and therefore has your
    "permission" to access the Internet. Further, because the Windows
    Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume that any incoming
    traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or spyware's out-going
    signal is also authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    > Run Network Setup Wizard.
    > *Install Service Pack 2 [from CD].
    > *Reconnect printer.

    Hold off on the printer until after the OS is fully patched/updated.

    > *Run Disk Defragmenter.

    There's no need to defragment the hard drive at this, or any other
    intermediate point. Wait until after you've installed all of your
    applications and defrag just once, at the end.

    > *Enable Windows Firewall in Windows XP SP2.

    It's enabled automatically. If you've installed a superior firewall
    already, you'll want to disable SP's firewall to preclude the
    possibility of conflicts.

    > *Load Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, CWShredder [from CD] then reboot into safe mode
    > and run the applications.

    Why? Have you become infected? Remember, these applications, while
    quite useful *after* an infestation of malware, but won't really do
    anything for you at this point.

    > *Test hardware devices.
    > *Set up users.
    > *Customize the system.
    > *Defrag system drive.

    Again, there's no need to defragment the hard drive at this, or any
    other intermediate point. Wait until after you've installed all of your
    applications and defrag just once, at the end.

    > *Install/ run software.
    > *Set up Windows Automatic Updates.

    I really don't like to see people use the Automatic Updates, unless
    they take precautions to ensure that no patches get installed without
    the user's express permission, given only after he/she has researched
    each individual patch to ensure that it applies and is necessary. Due
    to the nearly infinite number of possible combinations of hardware,
    device drivers, and applications on any given PC, it's impossible to
    guarantee that all patches will be 100% harmless. In a very small
    number of cases, patches and hotfixes can cause conflicts or other
    problems. So, as with all changes to an OS, caution is advised.

    All "Critical" updates should be installed. These address serious
    issues that can affect a large number of computers. There will be
    only rare occasions when a Critical update will not apply. Of special
    importance are those that address security vulnerabilities. If people
    had installed the available critical updates in July, the Blaster and
    Welchia worms would not have spread throughout the Internet the
    following month. In the unlikely event that problems do develop, you
    can always use the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet or a
    System Restore Point to uninstall the troublesome hotfix.

    For the "Recommended" updates, simply study the information
    provided to see if these updates apply in your specific situation. If
    they don't apply, or you're not experiencing the problem(s) addressed,
    you needn't install them. For instance, I have no use for WinXP's
    MovieMaker, so I ignore any updates to it. Again, in the unlikely
    event that problems do develop, you can always use the Control Panel's
    Add/Remove Programs applet or a System Restore Point to uninstall the
    troublesome hotfix.

    In general, though, I've found it best not to download the
    "Driver" updates from Windows Update, unless they're for a hardware
    device originally manufactured by Microsoft. Device drivers provided
    by each component's manufacturer's web site are likely to perform
    better and offer more features than will the watered-down, "generic"
    drivers that those manufacturers provide to Microsoft for distribution
    via Windows Update.

    > [Now’s the scary part] connect to internet:

    Only after having enabled a firewall.

    > *Install Windows Updates.

    But only those that are necessary for your specific system.

    > *Update Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, CWShredder.

    And, much more importantly, don't forget your antivirus and firewall
    applications.

    > *Download the Latest BIOS.

    Why? Are you now experiencing a specific problem whose resolution
    requires a BIOS update? If you are not experiencing a problem that the
    newer BIOS revision is designed to fix, then all you'll be doing is
    running the risk of rendering your computer useless, for absolutely no
    purpose.

    > QUESTIONS:
    > *At what point should I load the software for the printer?

    After the OS is installed and updated.

    > *At what point should I load the software for the modem?

    If you have a broadband connection, as evidenced by the presence of a
    ComCast modem, will you even to using the old telephonic modem? Will a
    phone line be connected to the PC, along with the broadband connection?
    If not, simply disable the telephonic modem in Device Manager and
    forget about it. If you will be using it, WinXP has probably already
    detected and installed drivers for it. If the OS needs the drivers, it
    will prompt you for the files.

    > *At what point should I reconnect the printer?

    After the OS is installed and updated.

    > *At what point should I reconnect the comcast modem?

    Prior to connecting to the Internet, but after you've installed
    antivirus and firewall applications.

    > When reformatting\reinstalling:
    > *Must I choose FAT32 or NTFS format?

    Yes, you'll have to select one or the other, unless your primary
    partition is larger than 32 Gb, in which case NTFS will be your only
    option. By design, WinXP cannot create and format a new partition
    greater than 32 Gb. This is because NTFS is the superior file system,
    and not nearly as wasteful of drive space. (If you make a FAT32
    partition larger than 8 Gb, you're "throwing away" significant amounts
    of storage capacity.)

    > If so, which should I choose?

    Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
    option. FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
    capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
    on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size. But your computing needs may
    vary, and there is no hard and fast answer.

    To answer your questions without getting too technical is
    difficult, but has been handled quite well by Alex Nichol in the
    article here:

    FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm

    Somewhat more technical information is here:

    Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314463

    Choosing Between File Systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/techrep/filesyst.asp

    NTFS file system
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

    > *In the instructions it says, “In the opening OOBE phase, set up your
    > network/Internet connection, which is required for activation and
    > registration.” It seems I must connect to the modem? If so, the computer is
    > in jeopardy. Can I do this later?

    Yes, you can do this later. You'll have 30 days before you actually
    have to activate. Registration is, as always, entirely optional.

    > *ANY ADVICE? I can’t find my product key on the disks. Dell loaded
    > everything originally and I have the disks, but no number located.

    If it was an OEM (factory installed)license, such as yours seems to
    have been, the Product Key is stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.
    If the label has been removed or damaged, get another Product Key from
    the computer's manufacturer *before* proceeding; you won't be able to
    re-install WinXP without it.

    > *An MVP helper said, “Automatic Update of Windows SP2 is not the best. You
    > are better able to avoid internet issues and other possible issues if you
    > have SP-2 on CD….”
    > HOW WILL IT HELP MY COMPUTER IF IT ISN’T INSTALLED? HOW DO I USE IT FROM
    > THE CD?

    There will be an executable file (probably Setup.exe) on the CD.
    Simply double-click it, and follow the on-screen instructions.

    > *Reading the MVP firewall info, it seems I should I disable the SP2 firewall
    > and use the Norton firewall only. IS THAT CORRECT? IF NOT, WHAT
    > SHOULD I DO?

    I'm not a big fan of Symantec's Personal Firewall, but it would
    certainly be a better choice than relying upon WinXP's rudimentary
    built-in firewall.

    > WHERE CAN I FIND SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOW TO DO THESE THINGS IF IT WOULD
    > TAKE TOO MUCH TIME TO ANSWER HERE?
    > *Go to BIOS and set CDROM as boot device before hard drive.

    In the extremely unlikely event that your PC's manual or the
    motherboard manufacturer's web site doesn't contain the needed
    information, try one or more of the following:

    How do I access my computer's setup (BIOS)
    http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/2157.html

    Wim's BIOS Page
    http://www.wimsbios.com/

    Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    > *Check to make sure you have all updated drivers.

    The computer manufacturer's web page will have this information. The
    driver disks that came with the computer will do, for the moment,
    though, unless you've replaced hardware components.

    > *Run chkdsk to check file system.

    Why? What specific problems with the file system do you anticipate?
    Unless you are actually experiencing a specific problem related to your
    hard drive's file system, there's no real need to run Chkdsk. Anyway,
    double-click My Computer > right-click the desired hard drive >
    Properties > Tools > Error-checking/Check Now. This will run Chkdsk,
    normally on the next reboot.

    > *Perform Disk Cleanup.

    Double-click My Computer > right-click the desired hard drive >
    Properties > Disk Cleanup.

    > *Go to MSCONFIG.

    Click Start > Run > type Msconfig, press <Enter>. But why? Are you
    anticipating a need to troubleshoot a startup problem already?

    > *Login as an Administrator.

    By design, the only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP
    Home is to reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL
    twice at the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.
    Remember, WinXP Pro asks the installer to set the Administrator's
    password during installation, but WinXP Home doesn't.

    The built-in Administrator account isn't intended to be used for
    day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to set a
    strong password on it and use it only to create another account for
    regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
    case something corrupts your regular account(s).

    > *Download the Latest BIOS.

    Again, why? What specific problem do you anticipate? Anyway, if you
    must do so, very carefully follow the specific instructions provided by
    the computer's manufacturer.

    > *If I use mozilla instead of IE [suggested by MVP person], will it work with
    > outlook?

    This shouldn't be a problem.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hello again ,
    The first thing you should do is change your screen name. Anyone who
    puts this much research into doing a proper install is anything but
    "searchless" .
    I am sorry bout the Mootorola it should be "Motorola". I can't believe
    I proof read that ans till typed it so crazy. Maybr after the your install
    you can give me" type tips ". lol. You have been given some really good
    advice and I don't see any ned to add anything at his point. If you stll feel
    you need to talk to someone during the install you can e-mail me here:
    toofargone@comcast.net. It is easier to help over the phone because you are
    getting and recieving facts in real time. As long as I don't have a service
    calls it will not be a problem. Best of luck to you.
    Ron J PS I haven't
    seen a S. Atlanta box in a very long time. I didn't even know they could be
    used for a Broadband Internet connection. Havr you double checked that this
    is the correct modem for you to use?

> [...]
    > Remember, WinXP Pro asks the installer to set the Administrator's
    > password during installation, but WinXP Home doesn't.
    >
    > The built-in Administrator account isn't intended to be used for
    > day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to set a
    > strong password on it and use it only to create another account for
    > regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
    > case something corrupts your regular account(s).
    >

    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >

    > > *Download the Latest BIOS.
    > >

    > Again, why? What specific problem do you anticipate? Anyway, if you
    > must do so, very carefully follow the specific instructions provided by
    > the computer's manufacturer.
    >

    > > *If I use mozilla instead of IE [suggested by MVP person], will it work with

    WOW! Thanks bruce & ron!

    i'm getting confused about this way of communicating, so i'm replying to
    both of you at once ... in this thread... in this message.

    Please…a few more questions... below the social chatter... [It really seems
    that the questions will never end and I will never actually do this.] BUT
    there's hope, I JUST READ RON'S REPLY!!! :))) THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!

    "Ron J" wrote:
    > The first thing you should do is change your screen name. Anyone who
    > puts this much research into doing a proper install is anything but "searchless" .
    I'M NOTICING THAT I'M A LITTLE ON THE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE SIDE WITH
    THIS SITUATION. PROBABLY HAS TO DO WITH BEING FREAKED OUT ABOUT THE WEB NOW.
    IT DOESN'T FEEL SAFE ANYMORE.
    ANYWAY, "SEARCHLESS" IS MORE TO DO WITH MY SPIRITUAL PRACTICE.
    THANKS FOR THE THUMBS UP...BOY!! AM I LEARNING STUFF. I JUST WISH I
    COULD REMEMBER IT FROM ONE MINUTE TO THE NEXT! I HAVE REEMS OF NOTES I'M NOW
    TRYING TO COLATE SO I CAN DO THIS USING ALL THE GOOD ADVICE I GOT... .
    If you stll feel you need to talk to someone during the install you can
    e-mail me.
    OH YES LPEASE. I'LL SEND YOU A NOTE. THIS MEANS I MIGHT ACTUALLY DO
    THIS!! YOU GUYS ARE SOOOO AWESOME!!!!

    Maybr after the your install you can give me" type tips ". lol.
    MY PLEASURE!
    > Ron J
    PS I haven't seen a S. Atlanta box in a very long time. I didn't even know
    they could be used for a Broadband Internet connection. Havr you double
    checked that this is the correct modem for you to use?
    COMCAST BROUGHT IT IN IN NOVEMBER.

    BRUCE, I'VE BEEN DIGESTING WHAT YOU SAID SINCE 8AM [7 HOURS] WOW, THANKS.

    Please remember you’re talking to someone who doesn’t understand the tech
    lingo and would find it easier to take apart and reassemble a sewing machine
    than do this [because it is visual and tactile as opposed to this mind-form
    work].

    Sorry, I forgot to say I have Norton internet securtity [includes antivirus]
    IS THAT SUFFICIENT? OR IS GriSoft's AVG BETTER?

    “If you've installed a superior firewall already, you'll want to disable
    SP's firewall to preclude the possibility of conflicts.� I will follow
    your advice and get ZoneAlarm or Sygate, so
    HOW DO I DISABLE SP’S FIREWALL?

    > *Set up Windows Automatic Updates.
    “I really don't like to see people use the Automatic Updates, … given only
    after he/she has researched each individual patch to ensure that it applies
    and is necessary.� … “For the ‘Recommended’ updates, simply study the
    information provided to see if these updates apply in your specific
    situation.�
    I HAVE LOOKED AT THESE AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! I
    WOULD SPEND ALL MY COMPUTER TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT ALL THOSE TERMS
    MEANT, LET ALONE WHETHER I SHOULD DOWNOLAD THEM. HOW CAN SOMEONE LIKE ME
    KNOW WHAT TO DO?

    RE: non-Microsoft drivers -- I don’t know what that is but DO THEY NEED
    UPDATING? THEREFORE GOING TO WEBSITES PERIODICALLY TO FIND THEM?

    > *Download the Latest BIOS.
    “Why?
    I DON’T KNOW. MAYBE IT WAS IN THE “CLEAN INSTALL� INSTRUCTIONS I GOT FROM
    THE MVP SITE.
    “Are you now experiencing a specific problem whose resolution requires a
    BIOS update?
    I DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT IS.
    “If you are not experiencing a problem that the newer BIOS revision is
    designed to fix, then all you'll be doing is running the risk of rendering
    your computer useless, for absolutely no purpose.
    NO CLUE… . SHOULD I?

    > *At what point should I load the software for the modem?
    “If you have a broadband connection, as evidenced by the presence of a
    ComCast modem, will you even to using the old telephonic modem? Will a phone
    line be connected to the PC, along with the broadband connection?�
    I USE THE FAX IN MY PRINTER TO SEND THINGS FROM MY COMPUTER TO PEOPLE. IS
    THAT WHAT YOU MEAN?

    > When reformatting\reinstalling:
    > *Must I choose FAT32 or NTFS format?
    I READ IN ONE OF THE RESPONSES THAT I SHOULD SKIP THIS PART BECAUSE I’M
    WIPING OUT MY HD AND WON’T WANT TO PARTITION. CAN I PARTITION LATER WITH MY
    WINDOWS SOFTWARE OR DO I HAVE TO BUY SOME?

    > *Go to MSCONFIG.
    “But why? Are you anticipating a need to troubleshoot a startup problem
    already?�
    IT WAS IN THE MVP INSTRUCTIONS TO CLEAN INSTALL. I’M JUST FOLLOWING THE
    DOTS, LIKE AN ACTOR SAYING LINES SHE DOESN’T UNDERTAND.

    > *Download the Latest BIOS.
    “Again, why? What specific problem do you anticipate? Anyway, if you must
    do so, very carefully follow the specific instructions provided by the
    computer's manufacturer.
    IT WAS IN THE MVP INSTRUCTIONS … .

    > *Load Ad-Aware, … .
    “Why? Have you become infected?�
    YES, THAT’S WHY I’VE SPENT THE PAST MONTH+ AT MY COMPUTER. OK, I UNDERSTAND
    NOW THEY ARE NOT PREVENTIVE, AND SINCE I WILL BE WIPING OUT MY HD BECAUSE OF
    THOSE NASTY LITTLE HD EATERS, I WON’T NEED THEM…. EVER AGAIN, BECAUSE I’M
    GOING TO LOAD ALL THIS PREVENTIVE STUFF.

    YOU’RE AWESOME, BRUCE & RON & JUPITER ~ WHEREVER YOU ARE ~ AND …EVERYBODY!!

    Love & peace, lorain

    searchless wrote:

    > BRUCE, I'VE BEEN DIGESTING WHAT YOU SAID SINCE 8AM [7 HOURS] WOW, THANKS.

    You're welcome.

    > Sorry, I forgot to say I have Norton internet securtity [includes antivirus]
    > IS THAT SUFFICIENT? OR IS GriSoft's AVG BETTER?

    You'll get many differing opinions on this topic. ;-}

    I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
    Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all without
    any significant problems.

    However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
    Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
    higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
    expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
    GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the free
    version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
    (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
    easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I was
    pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable improvement in
    my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec product.

    In the end, it'll boil down to what works best for *you*. As you've
    already paid for the Symantec product, go ahead and use it.

    > “If you've installed a superior firewall already, you'll want to disable
    > SP's firewall to preclude the possibility of conflicts.” I will follow
    > your advice and get ZoneAlarm or Sygate, so
    > HOW DO I DISABLE SP’S FIREWALL?

    Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Off.

    > I HAVE LOOKED AT THESE AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! I
    > WOULD SPEND ALL MY COMPUTER TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT ALL THOSE TERMS
    > MEANT, LET ALONE WHETHER I SHOULD DOWNOLAD THEM. HOW CAN SOMEONE LIKE ME
    > KNOW WHAT TO DO?

    It's not really as hard as it seems initially, but I do understand your
    concerns. When in doubt, it's best to play it safe and install the
    updates. What I would suggest you do is allow Windows Update to notify
    you when new updates are available, but don't allow the updates to be
    installed automatically. When notified of the new updates, make note of
    their specific name (particularly the KB Article number - something like
    KB891781, for example) before allowing the installation. If something
    should then go wrong, you can reboot into Safe Mode to remove the most
    recent hotfix(es), to restore your system. You might also want to
    consider creating a System Restore Point before installing the updates,
    just in case something does go awry.

    > RE: non-Microsoft drivers -- I don’t know what that is but DO THEY NEED
    > UPDATING? THEREFORE GOING TO WEBSITES PERIODICALLY TO FIND THEM?

    Device drivers do sometimes need to be updated, usually after the
    device manufacturer has learned that a particular driver malfunctions or
    causes problems under certain circumstances. The manufacturer of your
    computer should have this information readily available on its support
    web site.

    >>*Download the Latest BIOS.
    >
    > “Why?
    > I DON’T KNOW. MAYBE IT WAS IN THE “CLEAN INSTALL” INSTRUCTIONS I GOT FROM
    > THE MVP SITE.

    Updating the BIOS prior to installing WinXP would only be necessary for
    older computers. My understanding is that your computer was originally
    designed for WinXP, so a BIOS upgrade would be necessary only to address
    a specific problem.

    > “Are you now experiencing a specific problem whose resolution requires a
    > BIOS update?
    > I DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT IS.
    > “If you are not experiencing a problem that the newer BIOS revision is
    > designed to fix, then all you'll be doing is running the risk of rendering
    > your computer useless, for absolutely no purpose.
    > NO CLUE… . SHOULD I?

    I'm going to over-simplify this explanation; for greater detail, look
    here: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm The BIOS is the "Basic
    Input-Output System" of your computer. Basically, it handles how the
    computer starts up and then turns control over to the operating system
    (WinXP.) This is something so fundamental and essential to the
    computer's operation that you really don't want to mess with it unless
    you *know* that there is something wrong, and that an update will fix
    the problem.

    >>*At what point should I load the software for the modem?
    >
    > “If you have a broadband connection, as evidenced by the presence of a
    > ComCast modem, will you even to using the old telephonic modem? Will a phone
    > line be connected to the PC, along with the broadband connection?”
    > I USE THE FAX IN MY PRINTER TO SEND THINGS FROM MY COMPUTER TO PEOPLE. IS
    > THAT WHAT YOU MEAN?

    That's one thing I wasn't clear on. So, you will need your telephonic
    fax/modem working. As I said, fax/modem will probably be detected by
    WinXP during the installation, or shortly thereafter, and you'll be
    prompted to insert the CD with the drivers, if necessary.

    >>When reformatting\reinstalling:
    >>*Must I choose FAT32 or NTFS format?
    >
    > I READ IN ONE OF THE RESPONSES THAT I SHOULD SKIP THIS PART BECAUSE I’M
    > WIPING OUT MY HD AND WON’T WANT TO PARTITION. CAN I PARTITION LATER WITH MY
    > WINDOWS SOFTWARE OR DO I HAVE TO BUY SOME?

    Windows allows you to create and format partitions during installation,
    but cannot repartition a hard drive that has been fully utilized. And
    the term "partition" is a bit confusing to the "uninitiated." You're
    probably thinking of a partitioning as dividing a hard drive into two or
    more smaller logical drives. This isn't quite the way it works, though.
    All hard drives, to be usable to Windows, must contain at least one
    partition, even if that partition consumes *all* of the hard drives
    capacity.

    >>*Go to MSCONFIG.
    >
    > “But why? Are you anticipating a need to troubleshoot a startup problem
    > already?”
    > IT WAS IN THE MVP INSTRUCTIONS TO CLEAN INSTALL. I’M JUST FOLLOWING THE
    > DOTS, LIKE AN ACTOR SAYING LINES SHE DOESN’T UNDERTAND.

    And I don't know which specific "MVP Instructions" you're following, so
    I don't know why you'd need to use MSConfig, at this point. MSConfig is
    a troubleshooting tool designed to help isolate and solve problems that
    occur during the Windows startup. I can't see how it would be of any
    use on a fresh installation, as you shouldn't have any problems to
    troubleshoot, yet.

    >>*Download the Latest BIOS.
    >
    > “Again, why? What specific problem do you anticipate? Anyway, if you must
    > do so, very carefully follow the specific instructions provided by the
    > computer's manufacturer.
    > IT WAS IN THE MVP INSTRUCTIONS … .

    Again, I don't know which specific "MVP Instructions" you're following,
    so I don't know why you'd need to update the BIOS of a machine that is
    not malfunctioning. It's certainly nothing that should be done just on
    "general principles," and I can't think of an MVP irresponsible enough
    to make a blanket recommendation of updating the BIOS.

    >>*Load Ad-Aware, … .
    >
    > “Why? Have you become infected?”
    > YES, THAT’S WHY I’VE SPENT THE PAST MONTH+ AT MY COMPUTER. OK, I UNDERSTAND
    > NOW THEY ARE NOT PREVENTIVE, AND SINCE I WILL BE WIPING OUT MY HD BECAUSE OF
    > THOSE NASTY LITTLE HD EATERS, I WON’T NEED THEM…. EVER AGAIN, BECAUSE I’M
    > GOING TO LOAD ALL THIS PREVENTIVE STUFF.

    That's not necessarily the case, I'm afraid. Even though you'll be
    taking better precautions in the future, don't make the mistake of
    thinking that your system is "bullet-proof." The bad guys who write and
    distribute malware are still out there, and they'll always be looking
    for new ways to infest your computer. Every once in a while, they may
    be able to get around your defenses, so you may need remedial products
    on occasion. (I regularly scan my systems with Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D,
    and Microsoft's AntiSpyware, just in case something slips through.)

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You may e-mail me. Take out "REMOVETHIS" from the e-mail address.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> [...]
    >
    > *If I use mozilla instead of IE [suggested by MVP person], will it work
    > with
    > outlook?
    >

    > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    > System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    > System Model Dimension 8300
    > System Type X86-based PC
    > Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 2/23/2004
    > SMBIOS Version 2.3
    > Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    > File System NTSF
    > Size 74.46 GB
    > comcast cable modem by Scientific Atlanta, DCP2100 series, I hava a CD for
    > it.
    > HP office jet 4100 printer. I have a CD for it.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    searchless wrote:

> [...]
    > *Download the Latest BIOS.
    >
    > *If I use mozilla instead of IE [suggested by MVP person], will it work with
    > outlook?
    >

    > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    > System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    > System Model Dimension 8300
    > System Type X86-based PC
    > Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 2/23/2004
    > SMBIOS Version 2.3
    > Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    > File System NTSF
    > Size 74.46 GB
    > comcast cable modem by Scientific Atlanta, DCP2100 series, I hava a CD for
    > it.
    > HP office jet 4100 printer. I have a CD for it.

    Don't forget to have the information required to connect to your
    Internet Service Provider (ISP) on hand. When you reformat that
    information will go away. ;) You will need DNS numbers, your login
    name(s) and password(s) to connect to the internet. If unsure what is
    needed by all means call Comcast! Make them earn that hefty bill they
    send you every month. With any luck the Cable modem may be configured by
    XP and you won't need the Comcast software but you still need the ISP
    info. If your computer has an internal (phone) modem be sure to have a
    telephone line plugged into it when you install. You will need to
    activate XP at some point and if you have any problems getting on line
    XP can still dial out on the internal modem to activate without using
    the internet. Then the 30 days become 'as long as needed'.

    John
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I have two computers,one with win98,the other with xp which is the host
    computer in my home network--the printers are attached to it as well.why
    does't the printer work when activated by the other computer?Can anyone help
    me about this?Thanks in advance.

Windows XP