Command Path Woe

Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run Windows
files unless I am in that directory. For example, if I typed 'ipconfig' in
the c:\ directory it says it can't recognise it, but it will work if I go to
\windows\system32. This is the same with any windows commands ('expand',
etc). Can anyone help? When I type 'path' I get the (correct):

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

....and also if I go to Environment Variables (Control Panel\System\Advanced)
there are no User Variables that could conflict (just the two Documents and
Settings ones)... can anyone help? If the only resort is re-installing Win
XP then I think I'll leave it, as there doesn't seem to be any other
problems, and this is just more annoying than anything...

The only reason I wanted it fixed is because I have that other problem of
command.com not finding autoexec.nt (a problem that can occur if you update
Windows - read it here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) and I cannot
fix it without going to cmd.exe and expanding things from the Win XP disc.

Aaaargh!
4 answers Last reply
More about command path

    I read that the path should actually come up as:
    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

    or something like that, and that it IS incorrect because it's coming up as:
    PATH=C:\%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

    Can anyone tell me in a nice, simple, easy way (as I am not a tech head!)
    how to fix this? Thanks!!!

    "Adam" wrote:

    > Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run Windows
    > files unless I am in that directory. For example, if I typed 'ipconfig' in
    > the c:\ directory it says it can't recognise it, but it will work if I go to
    > \windows\system32. This is the same with any windows commands ('expand',
    > etc). Can anyone help? When I type 'path' I get the (correct):
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
    >
    > ...and also if I go to Environment Variables (Control Panel\System\Advanced)
    > there are no User Variables that could conflict (just the two Documents and
    > Settings ones)... can anyone help? If the only resort is re-installing Win
    > XP then I think I'll leave it, as there doesn't seem to be any other
    > problems, and this is just more annoying than anything...
    >
    > The only reason I wanted it fixed is because I have that other problem of
    > command.com not finding autoexec.nt (a problem that can occur if you update
    > Windows - read it here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) and I cannot
    > fix it without going to cmd.exe and expanding things from the Win XP disc.
    >
    > Aaaargh!

    Seems to be an epidemic lately....

    This can be caused by a trojan.

    Get rid of the trojan.

    Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

    Read-only
    [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    changed or accidentally deleted.]]

    1. Right click the file.
    2. Properties.
    3. Select: ? Read-only.
    4. Click: Apply.
    5. Click: OK.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:148B5659-0E80-4DF3-A73C-C919FF98F92D@microsoft.com,
    Adam <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run
    > Windows files unless I am in that directory. For example, if I typed
    > 'ipconfig' in the c:\ directory it says it can't recognise it, but it
    > will work if I go to \windows\system32. This is the same with any
    > windows commands ('expand', etc). Can anyone help? When I type
    > 'path' I get the (correct):
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
    >
    > ...and also if I go to Environment Variables (Control
    > Panel\System\Advanced) there are no User Variables that could
    > conflict (just the two Documents and Settings ones)... can anyone
    > help? If the only resort is re-installing Win XP then I think I'll
    > leave it, as there doesn't seem to be any other problems, and this is
    > just more annoying than anything...
    >
    > The only reason I wanted it fixed is because I have that other
    > problem of command.com not finding autoexec.nt (a problem that can
    > occur if you update Windows - read it here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) and I
    > cannot fix it without going to cmd.exe and expanding things from the
    > Win XP disc.
    >
    > Aaaargh!

    I hope that C:\%SystemRoot%\system32 is a typo.

    %SystemDrive% Shows the drive containing the Windows XP root directory (for
    example: C:).

    %SystemRoot% Shows the location of the Windows XP root directory (for
    example: C:\WINDOWS). Normally %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS

    Open a command prompt
    Type:
    set
    Hit your Enter key

    Look at SystemRoot & SystemDrive does this show?

    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS

    Paste: %SystemRoot% in the Start | Run box and click OK.

    What opens?

    %ComSpec% Shows the path to the command shell executable (for example:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe)

    Also look at ComSpec, does this show?

    ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:CE8AED7B-911E-4826-853D-E2BF6711CDAD@microsoft.com,
    Adam <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I read that the path should actually come up as:
    > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    >
    > or something like that, and that it IS incorrect because it's coming
    > up as:
    > PATH=C:\%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
    >
    > Can anyone tell me in a nice, simple, easy way (as I am not a tech
    > head!) how to fix this? Thanks!!!
    >

    > "Adam" wrote:
    >
    >> Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run
    >> Windows files unless I am in that directory. For example, if I
    >> typed 'ipconfig' in the c:\ directory it says it can't recognise it,
    >> but it will work if I go to \windows\system32. This is the same
    >> with any windows commands ('expand', etc). Can anyone help? When I
    >> type 'path' I get the (correct):
    >>
    >> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
    >>
    >> ...and also if I go to Environment Variables (Control
    >> Panel\System\Advanced) there are no User Variables that could
    >> conflict (just the two Documents and Settings ones)... can anyone
    >> help? If the only resort is re-installing Win XP then I think I'll
    >> leave it, as there doesn't seem to be any other problems, and this
    >> is just more annoying than anything...
    >>
    >> The only reason I wanted it fixed is because I have that other
    >> problem of command.com not finding autoexec.nt (a problem that can
    >> occur if you update Windows - read it here
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) and
    >> I cannot fix it without going to cmd.exe and expanding things from
    >> the Win XP disc.
    >>
    >> Aaaargh!

    "=?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=" wrote in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
    >Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run Windows
    >files unless I am in that directory.

    Please don't post duplicate articles. It just wastes everyone's
    time including yours. Thanks.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Environment Variables System32 Command Prompt Windows XP