Adam

Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run Windows
files unless I am in that directory. For example, if I typed 'ipconfig' in
the c:\ directory it says it can't recognise it, but it will work if I go to
\windows\system32. This is the same with any windows commands ('expand',
etc). Can anyone help? When I type 'path' I get the (correct):

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

....and also if I go to Environment Variables (Control Panel\System\Advanced)
there are no User Variables that could conflict (just the two Documents and
Settings ones)... can anyone help? If the only resort is re-installing Win
XP then I think I'll leave it, as there doesn't seem to be any other
problems, and this is just more annoying than anything...

The only reason I wanted it fixed is because I have that other problem of
command.com not finding autoexec.nt (a problem that can occur if you update
Windows - read it here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) and I cannot
fix it without going to cmd.exe and expanding things from the Win XP disc.

Aaaargh!

Adam

I read that the path should actually come up as:
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

or something like that, and that it IS incorrect because it's coming up as:
PATH=C:\%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

Can anyone tell me in a nice, simple, easy way (as I am not a tech head!)
how to fix this? Thanks!!!

"Adam" wrote:

> Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run Windows
> files unless I am in that directory. For example, if I typed 'ipconfig' in
> the c:\ directory it says it can't recognise it, but it will work if I go to
> \windows\system32. This is the same with any windows commands ('expand',
> etc). Can anyone help? When I type 'path' I get the (correct):
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
>
> ...and also if I go to Environment Variables (Control Panel\System\Advanced)
> there are no User Variables that could conflict (just the two Documents and
> Settings ones)... can anyone help? If the only resort is re-installing Win
> XP then I think I'll leave it, as there doesn't seem to be any other
> problems, and this is just more annoying than anything...
>
> The only reason I wanted it fixed is because I have that other problem of
> command.com not finding autoexec.nt (a problem that can occur if you update
> Windows - read it here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) and I cannot
> fix it without going to cmd.exe and expanding things from the Win XP disc.
>
> Aaaargh!

Seems to be an epidemic lately....

This can be caused by a trojan.

Get rid of the trojan.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

Read-only
[[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
changed or accidentally deleted.]]

1. Right click the file.
2. Properties.
3. Select: ? Read-only.
4. Click: Apply.
5. Click: OK.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:148B5659-0E80-4DF3-A73C-C919FF98F92D@microsoft.com,
Adam <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run
> Windows files unless I am in that directory. For example, if I typed
> 'ipconfig' in the c:\ directory it says it can't recognise it, but it
> will work if I go to \windows\system32. This is the same with any
> windows commands ('expand', etc). Can anyone help? When I type
> 'path' I get the (correct):
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
>
> ...and also if I go to Environment Variables (Control
> Panel\System\Advanced) there are no User Variables that could
> conflict (just the two Documents and Settings ones)... can anyone
> help? If the only resort is re-installing Win XP then I think I'll
> leave it, as there doesn't seem to be any other problems, and this is
> just more annoying than anything...
>
> The only reason I wanted it fixed is because I have that other
> problem of command.com not finding autoexec.nt (a problem that can
> occur if you update Windows - read it here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) and I
> cannot fix it without going to cmd.exe and expanding things from the
> Win XP disc.
>
> Aaaargh!

I hope that C:\%SystemRoot%\system32 is a typo.

%SystemDrive% Shows the drive containing the Windows XP root directory (for
example: C:).

%SystemRoot% Shows the location of the Windows XP root directory (for
example: C:\WINDOWS). Normally %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS

Open a command prompt
Type:
set
Hit your Enter key

Look at SystemRoot & SystemDrive does this show?

SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS

Paste: %SystemRoot% in the Start | Run box and click OK.

What opens?

%ComSpec% Shows the path to the command shell executable (for example:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe)

Also look at ComSpec, does this show?

ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CE8AED7B-911E-4826-853D-E2BF6711CDAD@microsoft.com,
Adam <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I read that the path should actually come up as:
> PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>
> or something like that, and that it IS incorrect because it's coming
> up as:
> PATH=C:\%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
>
> Can anyone tell me in a nice, simple, easy way (as I am not a tech
> head!) how to fix this? Thanks!!!
>

> "Adam" wrote:
>
>> Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run
>> Windows files unless I am in that directory. For example, if I
>> typed 'ipconfig' in the c:\ directory it says it can't recognise it,
>> but it will work if I go to \windows\system32. This is the same
>> with any windows commands ('expand', etc). Can anyone help? When I
>> type 'path' I get the (correct):
>>
>> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
>>
>> ...and also if I go to Environment Variables (Control
>> Panel\System\Advanced) there are no User Variables that could
>> conflict (just the two Documents and Settings ones)... can anyone
>> help? If the only resort is re-installing Win XP then I think I'll
>> leave it, as there doesn't seem to be any other problems, and this
>> is just more annoying than anything...
>>
>> The only reason I wanted it fixed is because I have that other
>> problem of command.com not finding autoexec.nt (a problem that can
>> occur if you update Windows - read it here
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767) and
>> I cannot fix it without going to cmd.exe and expanding things from
>> the Win XP disc.
>>
>> Aaaargh!

"=?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=" wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>Hiya, when I use cmd.exe I have discovered that I can't seem to run Windows
>files unless I am in that directory.

Please don't post duplicate articles. It just wastes everyone's
time including yours. Thanks.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/