TECH: Space Invaders Deluxe. DOA

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

I picked up a not bad Space Invaders Deluxe this weekend. Cabinet is ok, a
few scratches. But it's not working.

A few questions:

1. Cleaning. This thing is dirty. I'm going to use some diluted pinesol to
wipe it down and watch for paint coming off. Anyone recommend anything to
get foot prints off the cabinet? It looks like someone was kicking this one.

2. Getting it going. I'll check the fuses, reseat the boards, power supply,
etc. The guy I bought it off said it worked ok, but died 3 days later. I've
also heard of Cap kits. What exactly are these? Capacitor kits?

3. Black coin door or grey? I have both. The black looks a little better.
Does anyone know which is the standard?

4. Touching up the bezel on the front glass. This is definitely painted on.
A few scratches have scraped away some of the paint. Suggestions? It doesn't
appear to be flaking off.

5. I have the moon plastic insert in the back behind the half silvered
mirror. The cardboard cut out is still there as well, but I've read and seen
some pictures of an orange glowing scenery there. Does anyone have a picture
they can send me of what is supposed to be on the cardboard? I was thinking
of replacing this with some stiffer plastic like cardboard material and
paint it flat black. I would love to see the original star scene that's
supposed to be there.

6. Colour overlay on the monitor. This Midway one I have is supposed to have
a B&W monitor. Did Tatio only have the coloured overlay on the monitor? Does
anyone know the exact colour band sequence? I can always get some light gels
and make my own.

7. Free play. How do I set this up?

8. Sub woofer for the speaker. Has anyone ever installed a sub in one of
these?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Later.

D.E.

Have a better one.

To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Ok, I fired it up after checking the fuses and removing the connectors &
running an eraser over them to clean the contacts. The looked clean. No
noticeable burn marks anywhere or burnt connectors.(there only seems to be 2
on the daughter board and 1 on the motherboard).

I did get a response from the system the monitor came to life slowly after a
few minutes. Wavy lines appeared on the monitor. I snapped a few pics. Here
they are:

http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P1010013.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P1010016.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P1010017.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P1010018.JPG

The change and scroll back and forth. I did check the slam switch (pressed
it a few times) on the coin door and got a buzzing and beeping noise from
the speaker, however, I was unable to reproduce it again.

I replaced the #57 bulbs in the top and noticed that the monitor didn't have
the lines any more, just some sort of random firework type display.

I did some googling and saw someone stated that you need to remove the ROM
chips from the board.

Is it bad RAM on the motherboard? Which chips are the RAM chips? ABC are
missing, the rest seem to be there.

So I know the system is getting power, (the lights work) and the monitor is
coming up.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--

In article <C2QUd.530979$6l.75429@pd7tw2no>,
..D.E. <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote:
>So I know the system is getting power, (the lights work) and the monitor is
>coming up.

You may be getting power, but it may not be the right voltages. First
thing you can do is start here:

http://www.elektronforge.com/TestMdwPS.htm

--
Please see my arcade and pinball items for sale:
http://www.videoracer.com/forsale/

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Hello

I had the exact same screen pattern when I first turned on my cocktail,
first and only thing I did to get it working is re-burn a new set of
roms, then it worked :)

Lisa

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Thanks. I'll give that a shot tonight.

Any other suggestions?

--

"Chris Osborn" <fozztexx@fozztexx.com> wrote in message
> In article <C2QUd.530979$6l.75429@pd7tw2no>,
> .D.E. <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote:
>>So I know the system is getting power, (the lights work) and the monitor
>>is
>>coming up.
>
> You may be getting power, but it may not be the right voltages. First
> thing you can do is start here:
>
> http://www.elektronforge.com/TestMdwPS.htm
>
> --
> Please see my arcade and pinball items for sale:
> http://www.videoracer.com/forsale/
> Or check my repair logs:
> http://blog.videoracer.com/blog/

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

So what EXACTLY did you do. Replace which ROMS? Which ones? Where are they
located? Was the RAM bad? I'm going to check the power supply this week. I
haven't reseated the ROMs yet on the mother board. I can hopefully get these
replaced right?

Thanks.

Suggestions?

--

"LisaC" <lisac@cyberplex.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I had the exact same screen pattern when I first turned on my cocktail,
> first and only thing I did to get it working is re-burn a new set of
> roms, then it worked :)
>
> Lisa

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Hello

I replaced all of them, the roms on the mother board, they are the
fatter chips along the lower left bottom of the board. They legs were
very weak so pulling one and putting back I couldn't trust them, so I
burned a new set.
The ram wasn't bad in my case, but I did buy a load of ram to repair a
stack of other space inv sets when I get the change.

Lisa

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

I'm going to pull them from the board tonight and have a look.

--

> Hello
>
> I replaced all of them, the roms on the mother board, they are the
> fatter chips along the lower left bottom of the board. They legs were
> very weak so pulling one and putting back I couldn't trust them, so I
> burned a new set.
> The ram wasn't bad in my case, but I did buy a load of ram to repair a
> stack of other space inv sets when I get the change.
>
> Lisa

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

OK, pulled the chips D - H. A, B C are missing. Cleaned the chips. Reseated
them carefully. Pulled the processor out. Cleaned it as well with an eraser.
Assembled, checked power supply. Everything was fine with that. So I'm
pretty sure the power supply is ok.
Are there supposed to be chips in sockets A - C ? I remember reading
somewhere that they are supposed to be blank.

The daughter board does state Space Invaders Deluxe cocktail. I checked the
DIP switch and set that to cocktail, but the same issue. Monitor comes up
after a few minutes, but still has the wavy lines on it. Checked the slam
switch again flipped it back and forth. But nothing.

So I'm pretty sure the power supply is fine, & the monitor, but I'm thinking
that the ROM's are toast. Anyone know where to get a set? Costs?

Suggestions?

BTW, there is a great site for fixing pinball machines called Marvin3. Is
there one for video games?

Thanks.

--

> I'm going to pull them from the board tonight and have a look.
>
> --
> Later.
>
> D.E.
>
> Have a better one.
>
> To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.
> "LisaC" <lisac@cyberplex.com> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> I replaced all of them, the roms on the mother board, they are the
>> fatter chips along the lower left bottom of the board. They legs were
>> very weak so pulling one and putting back I couldn't trust them, so I
>> burned a new set.
>> The ram wasn't bad in my case, but I did buy a load of ram to repair a
>> stack of other space inv sets when I get the change.
>>
>> Lisa

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

I still can't get this thing to boot up. Someone suggested checking the edge
board connector from this site:
http://www.elektronforge.com/testedgeconn.htm

Anything else? What about the slam switch? Is there a way to check that?
Someone suggested that it may have tripped the board or power supply into a
permanent reset. How can I check if the board has done that?

--

> OK, pulled the chips D - H. A, B C are missing. Cleaned the chips.
> Reseated them carefully. Pulled the processor out. Cleaned it as well with
> an eraser. Assembled, checked power supply. Everything was fine with that.
> So I'm pretty sure the power supply is ok.
> Are there supposed to be chips in sockets A - C ? I remember reading
> somewhere that they are supposed to be blank.
>
> The daughter board does state Space Invaders Deluxe cocktail. I checked
> the DIP switch and set that to cocktail, but the same issue. Monitor comes
> up after a few minutes, but still has the wavy lines on it. Checked the
> slam switch again flipped it back and forth. But nothing.
>
> So I'm pretty sure the power supply is fine, & the monitor, but I'm
> thinking that the ROM's are toast. Anyone know where to get a set? Costs?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> BTW, there is a great site for fixing pinball machines called Marvin3. Is
> there one for video games?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Later.
>
> D.E.
>
> Have a better one.
>
> To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.
> ".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm going to pull them from the board tonight and have a look.
>>
>> --
>> Later.
>>
>> D.E.
>>
>> Have a better one.
>>
>> To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.
>> "LisaC" <lisac@cyberplex.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I replaced all of them, the roms on the mother board, they are the
>>> fatter chips along the lower left bottom of the board. They legs were
>>> very weak so pulling one and putting back I couldn't trust them, so I
>>> burned a new set.
>>> The ram wasn't bad in my case, but I did buy a load of ram to repair a
>>> stack of other space inv sets when I get the change.
>>>
>>> Lisa

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Hey .D.E. I am guessing you are in Canada. What area?