can I convert a DKong cocktail to Hat Trick?

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Hi there,
I picked up my very first cocktail machine on the weekend and it is in
need of some work.
My question out to the group is actually about changing the game. It's
a Donkey Kong Jr. right now and although that game is fun enough, I
was thinking of converting it to another game that has more enjoyable
"head-to-head" action. I was thinking of Hat Trick.
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=H&game_id=8083

Anyone got any advice on what is involved in doing this? I can see the
circuitboard with all its connectors and, assuming I could locate a
Hat Trick board, would it be a simple matter of unhooking the
connectors and switching boards?
Both games are 4-way joystick plus one button games so there shouldn't
be any hassle with controls, should there?
Anyone even seen a Hat Trick circuitboard?
If I took one out of a standup cab of Hat Trick, would that work? As I
say I've never dealt with a cocktail machine before. Luckily Hat Trick
works very nicely since the game is bird's eye view even on the
standup cab.
Do I need one of these "Jamma Boards" I keep hearing about? Not sure
what that is.
If I can't locate Hat Trick, anyone got any suggestions of another
good cocktail game for two players? I was thinking of maybe Armor
Attack http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=A&game_id=6925 but
that one has a special gel overlay I might not be able to locate.
Besides, the CRT in this machine I bought is color, why waste a good
color monitor on a Black & White game?

computerspacefan@hotmail.com
http://www.computerspacefan.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Hi,

You need to read up on:

Bally Sente SAC system
Nintendo boardsets and monitors
What JAMMA is
What VECTOR monitors and arcade machines are

There is alot of info on these subjects on the net - read them till you
understand what they all are. Once you have done that you'll have answered
99% of your questions here.

If the Donkey Kong cocktail is original it would be a shame to convert it
for this game. Also I remember the SAC boardsets being huge so you may not
actually physically be able to fit this board in.

Seeing a nice original DK cocktail is probably worth something you may want
to sell it or trade it for this Hat Trick game you are looking for.

Good luck,

/o

"ComputerSpaceFan" <computerspacefan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I picked up my very first cocktail machine on the weekend and it is in
> need of some work.
> My question out to the group is actually about changing the game. It's
> a Donkey Kong Jr. right now and although that game is fun enough, I
> was thinking of converting it to another game that has more enjoyable
> "head-to-head" action. I was thinking of Hat Trick.
> http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=H&game_id=8083
>
> Anyone got any advice on what is involved in doing this? I can see the
> circuitboard with all its connectors and, assuming I could locate a
> Hat Trick board, would it be a simple matter of unhooking the
> connectors and switching boards?
> Both games are 4-way joystick plus one button games so there shouldn't
> be any hassle with controls, should there?
> Anyone even seen a Hat Trick circuitboard?
> If I took one out of a standup cab of Hat Trick, would that work? As I
> say I've never dealt with a cocktail machine before. Luckily Hat Trick
> works very nicely since the game is bird's eye view even on the
> standup cab.
> Do I need one of these "Jamma Boards" I keep hearing about? Not sure
> what that is.
> If I can't locate Hat Trick, anyone got any suggestions of another
> good cocktail game for two players? I was thinking of maybe Armor
> Attack http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=A&game_id=6925 but
> that one has a special gel overlay I might not be able to locate.
> Besides, the CRT in this machine I bought is color, why waste a good
> color monitor on a Black & White game?
>
> computerspacefan@hotmail.com
> http://www.computerspacefan.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Or...to put it in a nut-shell..

Impossible....NO

A pain in the butt....YES

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:45:58 GMT, "oll" <oll@NOSPAM.arcadeoll.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>You need to read up on:
>
>Bally Sente SAC system
>Nintendo boardsets and monitors
>What JAMMA is
>What VECTOR monitors and arcade machines are
>
>There is alot of info on these subjects on the net - read them till you
>understand what they all are. Once you have done that you'll have answered
>99% of your questions here.
>
>If the Donkey Kong cocktail is original it would be a shame to convert it
>for this game. Also I remember the SAC boardsets being huge so you may not
>actually physically be able to fit this board in.
>
>Seeing a nice original DK cocktail is probably worth something you may want
>to sell it or trade it for this Hat Trick game you are looking for.
>
>Good luck,
>
>/o
>
>"ComputerSpaceFan" <computerspacefan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>> I picked up my very first cocktail machine on the weekend and it is in
>> need of some work.
>> My question out to the group is actually about changing the game. It's
>> a Donkey Kong Jr. right now and although that game is fun enough, I
>> was thinking of converting it to another game that has more enjoyable
>> "head-to-head" action. I was thinking of Hat Trick.
>> http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=H&game_id=8083
>>
>> Anyone got any advice on what is involved in doing this? I can see the
>> circuitboard with all its connectors and, assuming I could locate a
>> Hat Trick board, would it be a simple matter of unhooking the
>> connectors and switching boards?
>> Both games are 4-way joystick plus one button games so there shouldn't
>> be any hassle with controls, should there?
>> Anyone even seen a Hat Trick circuitboard?
>> If I took one out of a standup cab of Hat Trick, would that work? As I
>> say I've never dealt with a cocktail machine before. Luckily Hat Trick
>> works very nicely since the game is bird's eye view even on the
>> standup cab.
>> Do I need one of these "Jamma Boards" I keep hearing about? Not sure
>> what that is.
>> If I can't locate Hat Trick, anyone got any suggestions of another
>> good cocktail game for two players? I was thinking of maybe Armor
>> Attack http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=A&game_id=6925 but
>> that one has a special gel overlay I might not be able to locate.
>> Besides, the CRT in this machine I bought is color, why waste a good
>> color monitor on a Black & White game?
>>
>> computerspacefan@hotmail.com
>> http://www.computerspacefan.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

It would be a shame to convert a dedicated Donkey Kong. If you are close to
me (North FL) I can sell you an inexpensive decent cocktail cabinet to put
Hat Trick in. For most games, you need a board that is capable of flipping
the screen between player one and player two. However, it looks like hat
trick doesn't need that. The main thing you would need to sort out is the
pinout so you can connect it into the cabinet.

Mark Hooks

"ComputerSpaceFan" <computerspacefan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I picked up my very first cocktail machine on the weekend and it is in
> need of some work.
> My question out to the group is actually about changing the game. It's
> a Donkey Kong Jr. right now and although that game is fun enough, I
> was thinking of converting it to another game that has more enjoyable
> "head-to-head" action. I was thinking of Hat Trick.
> http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=H&game_id=8083
>
> Anyone got any advice on what is involved in doing this? I can see the
> circuitboard with all its connectors and, assuming I could locate a
> Hat Trick board, would it be a simple matter of unhooking the
> connectors and switching boards?
> Both games are 4-way joystick plus one button games so there shouldn't
> be any hassle with controls, should there?
> Anyone even seen a Hat Trick circuitboard?
> If I took one out of a standup cab of Hat Trick, would that work? As I
> say I've never dealt with a cocktail machine before. Luckily Hat Trick
> works very nicely since the game is bird's eye view even on the
> standup cab.
> Do I need one of these "Jamma Boards" I keep hearing about? Not sure
> what that is.
> If I can't locate Hat Trick, anyone got any suggestions of another
> good cocktail game for two players? I was thinking of maybe Armor
> Attack http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=A&game_id=6925 but
> that one has a special gel overlay I might not be able to locate.
> Besides, the CRT in this machine I bought is color, why waste a good
> color monitor on a Black & White game?
>
> computerspacefan@hotmail.com
> http://www.computerspacefan.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Thanks to all for the responses and advice. I managed to fire up the
machine the other day and had a look at the board inside it.
This cocktail machine is no longer a Donkey Kong Jr but has been
modified to a Perfect Billiard.
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=P&game_id=8995
And, having said that, it looks like the board is stuck in reset mode
as all I get on the screen is garbled graphics that don't change (like
the image is frozen).
So, I'm not even interested in trying to get this board working
really, since Perfect Billiard looks only marginally interesting to
me. What I'd like to do is put in a Hat Trick board and I have heard
from someone willing to sell me one.
Now I want to know if I can just swap out the board and will it work?
I heard from another person who said Donkey Kong Jr had a different
set of controllers but since this machine has already been converted
once to Perfect Billiard, the controllers must have already been
swapped out. Same with the power supply.
So, when this Hat Trick board arrives, can I just swap the board and
play the game? Something tells me it won't be that easy.
The good thing about Hat Trick is I don't need to worry about screen
flipping for cocktail mode as it is a birds-eye-view style of game.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace ComputerSpaceFan <computerspacefan@hotmail.com> wrote:

There's no way a hat trick boardset will physically fit into a nintendo
cocktail cab...

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

On 02 Mar 2005 16:19:47 GMT, "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu>
wrote:

>In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace ComputerSpaceFan <computerspacefan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>There's no way a hat trick boardset will physically fit into a nintendo
>cocktail cab...
That's the Sente sac1 boardset with daughtercard, right? heheh...let him
try..:)

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in

> In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace ComputerSpaceFan
> <computerspacefan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> There's no way a hat trick boardset will physically fit into a
> nintendo cocktail cab...

Bah. Cut the board in half, solder a few wires, you're sound as a pound.
8*)

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Now why won't another board fit into this cocktail? I ask because it
already has a non-Nintendo board in there, Perfect Billiard.
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=P&game_id=8995

Admittedly it was a bit of a hack job, whoever did the modification.
Since the Perfect Billiard board is too small for the slots in the
cabinet, the previous owner just mounted Perfect Billiard onto a sheet
of plexiglass and sat it loosely in the space provided.
Here's a pic of the cabinet. If you look left of the badly burned in
screen, you'll see the board sitting loosely inside there.
http://www.computerspacefan.com/P2280816.JPG

Is Hat Trick also likely to be the same size? Maybe I can just mount
it the same way?

On 2 Mar 2005 15:02:51 -0800, computerspacefan@hotmail.com (ComputerSpaceFan)
wrote:

>Now why won't another board fit into this cocktail? I ask because it
>already has a non-Nintendo board in there, Perfect Billiard.
>http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=P&game_id=8995
>
>Admittedly it was a bit of a hack job, whoever did the modification.
>Since the Perfect Billiard board is too small for the slots in the
>cabinet, the previous owner just mounted Perfect Billiard onto a sheet
>of plexiglass and sat it loosely in the space provided.
>Here's a pic of the cabinet. If you look left of the badly burned in
>screen, you'll see the board sitting loosely inside there.
>http://www.computerspacefan.com/P2280816.JPG
>
>Is Hat Trick also likely to be the same size? Maybe I can just mount
>it the same way?

here is the size of the daughtercard (about 8 inches square):

>http://www.ggdb.com/GGDB/DetailsZoom.asp?Cat=All.Coin-Op.NP&VID=1928&PID=3926&NID=1&TID=PCB

this daughtercard plugs into a much larger mainboard (14 inches square? ) and
the length of those 2 together is probably close to 20 or 24 inches long ..
it is not JAMMA, and there is no way you will get it to work in that cabinet
(without much, much difficulty..you'd have more luck with a caseless miniATX
computer, a decased computer monitor and just mame the cocktail - or build
your own and put whatever you want in it. )

try http://arcadecontrols.com/
specifically:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/arcade_cabinet_plans.shtml

good luck..

..

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Ok so I found a picture of what a Hat Trick circuitboard looks like.
The daughter board is going to add to the overall length but maybe I
can make a ribbon cable and swing it up out of the way?
Can anyone who has a Hat Trick look at this picture of the board and
tell me what length A,B,C and D are?

http://www.computerspacefan.com/HatTrickpcb.jpg

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Are you sure the game board is Perfect Billiards? The reason I ask is
my first cocktail game was also a Donkey Kong Jr. that was converted
into a pool game called 8 Ball Action. When I took a close look at the
board I found out it still had the original DK Jr. board and 8 Ball
Action was a simple ROM swap. I sent the board out and had it converted
into a Double Donkey Kong.
http://hometown.aol.com/sverlander/double_donkey_kong_cocktail.html
I once had a Bally Sente cabinet which had Hat Trick, the big cabinet
with the white plastic sides and metal cabinet, The thing was big and
heavy. I never got it working so don't know anything about the game but
the board set was big and will never fit in the Nintendo DK Jr.
cocktail cabinet. Best bet would be to restore it back to DK Jr. or DDK
and if you don't like it sell or trade it for what you really want.
Just my 2 cents.
What ever you do, have fun doing it.
Sam
In Virginia

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

<courtesy email sent>
On 6 Mar 2005 17:53:41 -0800, computerspacefan@hotmail.com (ComputerSpaceFan)
wrote:

>Ok so I found a picture of what a Hat Trick circuitboard looks like.
>The daughter board is going to add to the overall length but maybe I
>can make a ribbon cable and swing it up out of the way?
>Can anyone who has a Hat Trick look at this picture of the board and
>tell me what length A,B,C and D are?
>
>http://www.computerspacefan.com/HatTrickpcb.jpg

a:16+"
b:16+"
c:8"
d:8"

all approximations from memory of my sente cab. but read my other post about
it not working in a DKj cocktail .:)