js_bach

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I am using WinXP Pro with Easy CD Creator 5.3 and Direct CD installed. Anyway, the computer crashes when I copy files to a CD-R or CD-RW and I have to reboot. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I have tried using several different brands of CD-Rs on the hunch that I might have gotten a bad batch. Also, Windows says that the drive is working properly under Device Manager.

If anyone can help me solve this problem it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Having a thing is not nearly as pleasing as wanting it. It is illogical but it is often true.

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Have you tried updating roxio. One other thing, do you download the hot fixes for Win XP. You could have downloaded a hot fix that is incompatable with Roxio. One other thing post your system specs, that could help narrow down the problem

<font color=orange>OW</font color=orange> <font color=orange>OR</font color=orange> <font color=green>GW</font color=green> <font color=blue>BL</font color=blue> <font color=blue>BW</font color=blue> <font color=green>GR</font color=green> [brown]BW[/brown] wait... There is no brown markup!! :frown:

js_bach

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I am using the latest updates from the Roxio website. I am using SP1 with all of the applicable hotfixes from the Windows Update site. Here are my system specs.

Athlon (Thunderbird) 1400MHz
Gigabyte GA-7DX Motherboard
768MB PC2100 DDR RAM
Nvidia GeForce3
IBM 60GB Hard Drive
NEC 16x/48x DVD drive
NEC 12x-10x-32x CD-RW
WinXP Pro SP1

Having a thing is not nearly as pleasing as wanting it. It is illogical but it is often true.

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Was it working fine before and then it just quit. If that is the case, I say it is probably a Win XP hot fix update. Especially if you update Win XP on a regular basis.

<font color=orange>OW</font color=orange> <font color=orange>OR</font color=orange> <font color=green>GW</font color=green> <font color=blue>BL</font color=blue> <font color=blue>BW</font color=blue> <font color=green>GR</font color=green> [brown]BW[/brown] wait... There is no brown markup!! :frown:

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try disabling the Imapi CD-Burning COM Service, or setting it to manual, and see if that helps. Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Component Services\Services (Local).

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

js_bach

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I tried that and it still doesn't work. I checked Event Viewer and there are quite a few Service and Win Management errors. At this point I think I'm going to just do a clean re-install and see if that helps.

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't remenber what version of Easy CD creator, but one had problem with XP, there was a version specific for XP.

Personnaly i would recommend you try Nero Burning Rom. Get the demo and try to burn. If it doesn't crash, it's Easy CD the problem

Or upgrade to version 6... a lot of improvements over v5.x and it burns CDs just about as fast as Nero.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>