Dimension 8250 Memory

Need some info here, please...

I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)

I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need to
look for?

At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
B. Look for RDRAM

What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
time" to be buying memory?

Thanks in advance!
16 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8250 memory

    i'm no currency exchange expert, but isn't 279 english pounds roughly
    400 dollars american? can't go near a 5000 for that much in the states.
    when the 5000 finally reaches us, that is. how can this be, that you
    have such inexpensive comps in england? damn brits!! daft punters, all
    of ya : )

    For the 8200:

    Memory

    Type
    PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)

    Memory connectors
    four

    Memory capacities
    64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC

    Minimum memory
    128 MB

    Maximum memory
    2 GB for PC800
    1.5 GB for PC1066

    Memory type
    PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
    PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
    clock speed

    Memory speed

    PC800
    40 ns or faster

    PC1066
    32 ns or faster

    "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Need some info here, please...
    >
    > I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
    >
    > I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
    > sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need to
    > look for?
    >
    > At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
    > A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
    > B. Look for RDRAM
    >
    > What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
    > time" to be buying memory?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Thank you....
    How do I know which of these apply to my situation?
    > Memory type
    > PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
    > PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
    > clock speed

    AND

    "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > For the 8200:
    >
    > Memory
    >
    > Type
    > PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)
    >
    > Memory connectors
    > four
    >
    > Memory capacities
    > 64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC
    >
    > Minimum memory
    > 128 MB
    >
    > Maximum memory
    > 2 GB for PC800
    > 1.5 GB for PC1066
    >
    > Memory type
    > PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
    > PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
    > clock speed
    >
    > Memory speed
    >

    > PC800
    > 40 ns or faster
    >
    > PC1066
    > 32 ns or faster
    >

    > "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Need some info here, please...
    >>
    >> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
    >>
    >> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
    >> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need
    >> to look for?
    >>
    >> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
    >> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
    >> B. Look for RDRAM
    >>
    >> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
    >> time" to be buying memory?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Need some info here, please...
    >
    > I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
    >
    > I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
    > sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need to
    > look for?
    >
    > At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
    > A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
    > B. Look for RDRAM
    >
    > What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
    > time" to be buying memory?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Rambus memory in the 8250 is, I'm sure, of the 1066Mhz variety and is
    phenomenally expensive.

    Inel (and Dell) bailed out of Rambus - I'd advise against trying to buy
    more, you'll actually be better off buying a new system.

    Well THAT'S a bit extreme.... I'm perfectly satisfied with my system and
    won't buy a new system just because I want to add more memory.

    But thanks for your input anyway.

    > Well THAT'S a bit extreme.... I'm perfectly satisfied with my system and
    > won't buy a new system just because I want to add more memory.
    >
    > But thanks for your input anyway.

    No problems............bear in mind that for not a great deal more than the
    price of 2 x 512mb sticks of 1066mhz Rambus though, you could probably go to
    Dell's website and configure a Dimension 8300/8400.

    Sell the Rambus on eBay (I did with my 4 x 512mb stricks) and you'll get a
    new system for next no nothing ;-)

    > "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Well THAT'S a bit extreme.... I'm perfectly satisfied with my system and
    >> won't buy a new system just because I want to add more memory.
    >>
    >> But thanks for your input anyway.
    >>

    > No problems............bear in mind that for not a great deal more than
    > the price of 2 x 512mb sticks of 1066mhz Rambus though, you could probably
    > go to Dell's website and configure a Dimension 8300/8400.
    >
    > Sell the Rambus on eBay (I did with my 4 x 512mb stricks) and you'll get a
    > new system for next no nothing ;-)

    Just did a quick search...........here in the UK, the cheapest I can find
    another 512mb of memory for you is £186+ delivery.

    I can get a complete Dimension 5000 delivered for £279 and probably sell the
    Rambus for £140!

    I see what you're saying, but I am still going to buy two 256MB sticks and
    do an upgrade. When I'm finished with this PC, I'll pass it on to one of my
    kids... but not yet.

    > "Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@mrspankys.bigtopnet> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Well THAT'S a bit extreme.... I'm perfectly satisfied with my system
    >>> and won't buy a new system just because I want to add more memory.
    >>>
    >>> But thanks for your input anyway.
    >>>

    >> No problems............bear in mind that for not a great deal more than
    >> the price of 2 x 512mb sticks of 1066mhz Rambus though, you could
    >> probably go to Dell's website and configure a Dimension 8300/8400.
    >>
    >> Sell the Rambus on eBay (I did with my 4 x 512mb stricks) and you'll get
    >> a new system for next no nothing ;-)
    >>

    > Just did a quick search...........here in the UK, the cheapest I can find
    > another 512mb of memory for you is £186+ delivery.
    >
    > I can get a complete Dimension 5000 delivered for £279 and probably sell
    > the Rambus for £140!

    See what the processor speed and front side bus are. Enter your service tag in
    the support section at the Dell web site or go into the BIOS setup menus.

    FWIW, I paid a little less than $200 for 512MB of PC1066 recently from an eBay
    seller. I plan to install the memory in my client's 8250 this week.

    PC800 is less expensive than PC1066 by a bit. PC1066 effectively came at the
    end of the line for RAMBUS in a quasi mainstream top end computer, so it was
    never manufactured in the quantities that the slower PC600, PC711 and PC800
    were... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:00:16 -0500, "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Thank you....
    >How do I know which of these apply to my situation?
    >> Memory type
    >> PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
    >> PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
    >> clock speed
    >
    >AND
    >
    > > PC800
    >> 40 ns or faster
    >>
    >> PC1066
    >> 32 ns or faster
    >

    >"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> For the 8200:
    >>
    >> Memory
    >>
    >> Type
    >> PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)
    >>
    >> Memory connectors
    >> four
    >>
    >> Memory capacities
    >> 64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC
    >>
    >> Minimum memory
    >> 128 MB
    >>
    >> Maximum memory
    >> 2 GB for PC800
    >> 1.5 GB for PC1066
    >>
    >> Memory type
    >> PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
    >> PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
    >> clock speed
    >>
    >> Memory speed
    >>

    >> PC800
    >> 40 ns or faster
    >>
    >> PC1066
    >> 32 ns or faster
    >>

    >> "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Need some info here, please...
    >>>
    >>> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
    >>>
    >>> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
    >>> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need
    >>> to look for?
    >>>
    >>> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
    >>> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
    >>> B. Look for RDRAM
    >>>
    >>> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
    >>> time" to be buying memory?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance!

    I understand your point about upgrading, but let me add my two cents.

    When I wanted to upgrade my 8100 (P4-1.7), I sold the memory, sold the XP
    upgrade, sold the machine.

    Bought a brand-new (at the time) 4550, well-equipped, P4-2.66

    Made a $25 profit on the whole deal.

    Tom

    "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
    > i'm no currency exchange expert, but isn't 279 english pounds roughly
    > 400 dollars american? can't go near a 5000 for that much in the states.
    > when the 5000 finally reaches us, that is. how can this be, that you
    > have such inexpensive comps in england? damn brits!! daft punters, all
    > of ya : )

    :-))

    Don't be under any illusions, the deal's a very-bottom-of-the-range spec but
    there's bags of room for upgrade as and when the need arises

    If I were the OP, that's where I'd be looking to spend my Euros rather than
    splash out on obsolete technology.

    Just my 2 cents worth as Kent Brockman would say :-)

    Gotcha', Tom... sounds like it worked out well for you too.

    > Gotcha', Tom... sounds like it worked out well for you too.

    Duke,

    Here's your upgrade:

    http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&model_id=-71

    $250 bucks.

    Not to be a smart arse, but there IS no good time to buy RDRAM. It's always
    been expensive, and it probably always will be. Some of the specs for your
    system memory are listed on the linked page.

    To counter Tom's very reasonable argument, I'll add mine just for a
    point-counter-point.

    Depending on your 8250's current configuration and what you use it for, this
    upgrade may not be a loser. If the machine has been trouble-free and you
    really enjoy it - and if your uses for the machine aren't top-of-the-scale
    demanding (and won't be for 2-3 years), then your machine is plenty viable
    for some time.

    I honestly don't know if you could parse the components out as Tom did and
    come up with a (top of the line, like your 8250) Dim 8400 with money in your
    pocket.

    Good luck, whichever you choose.

    Stew
  14. The Memory for the 8200 and 8250 are RDRAM insteps of 64-128-256-512 MB and you can use either ECC or NON-ECC ... DO NOT MIX ECC and NON ECC! The 8200 and 8250 can hold up to 2MB of PC-800 RDRAM. It cost around $110 x 2 = $220 USD for a pair.

    Also, it is PC-800 and must be installed in pairs! I have 1GB in my systems (Dell Dimension 8200 and 8250 H/T) and will upgrade both systems as well myself. Though the systems are old, they run quite well with memory and video upgrades. (The AGP video cards are backwards compatable... so a 8x AGP card will work in the 4x slot. ATI offers a nice 128mb video card [which runs great] and made a huge difference to the nVidea 64MB card I replaced in the 8200. I will 'try' a ATI 256 MB card in my 8250 and replace the 128 AGP card. Nevertheless, I have a Dell XPS-710 as my main PC but still desire to keep these old computers going for as long as possible.

    System Info for the 8200:

    Intel 850 / 400-MHz FSB
  15. i have a dell dimension 8250 what happens if i use original Dell memory pair 256 mb x 8 nns non-ecc with adding a pair of 512 mb x 16 nns ecc? Currently i have the 256 mb in banks 1 & 2 and 512 mb in banks 3 & 4.
  16. It is not recommended to mix ECC and Non-ECC memory, but if you do then the ECC memory will function just like Non-ECC memory...

    Also this system supports the highest speed of 1066MHz PC1066 RAMBUS Memory...

    http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellDimension8250.html

Dell RAM Dimension Memory Computers