Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dimension 8250 Memory

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 2:22:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Need some info here, please...

I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)

I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need to
look for?

At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
B. Look for RDRAM

What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
time" to be buying memory?

Thanks in advance!

More about : dimension 8250 memory

January 16, 2005 2:22:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

i'm no currency exchange expert, but isn't 279 english pounds roughly
400 dollars american? can't go near a 5000 for that much in the states.
when the 5000 finally reaches us, that is. how can this be, that you
have such inexpensive comps in england? damn brits!! daft punters, all
of ya : )
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 2:50:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

For the 8200:

Memory

Type
PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)

Memory connectors
four

Memory capacities
64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC

Minimum memory
128 MB

Maximum memory
2 GB for PC800
1.5 GB for PC1066

Memory type
PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
clock speed

Memory speed


PC800
40 ns or faster

PC1066
32 ns or faster



"Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:_wwGd.17502$B95.4641@lakeread02...
> Need some info here, please...
>
> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
>
> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need to
> look for?
>
> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
> B. Look for RDRAM
>
> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
> time" to be buying memory?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 3:00:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thank you....
How do I know which of these apply to my situation?
> Memory type
> PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
> PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
> clock speed

AND

> PC800
> 40 ns or faster
>
> PC1066
> 32 ns or faster





"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:10ul6qps639fobb@corp.supernews.com...
> For the 8200:
>
> Memory
>
> Type
> PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)
>
> Memory connectors
> four
>
> Memory capacities
> 64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC
>
> Minimum memory
> 128 MB
>
> Maximum memory
> 2 GB for PC800
> 1.5 GB for PC1066
>
> Memory type
> PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
> PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
> clock speed
>
> Memory speed
>
>
> PC800
> 40 ns or faster
>
> PC1066
> 32 ns or faster
>
>
>
> "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:_wwGd.17502$B95.4641@lakeread02...
>> Need some info here, please...
>>
>> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
>>
>> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
>> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need
>> to look for?
>>
>> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
>> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
>> B. Look for RDRAM
>>
>> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
>> time" to be buying memory?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 7:31:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:_wwGd.17502$B95.4641@lakeread02...
> Need some info here, please...
>
> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
>
> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need to
> look for?
>
> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
> B. Look for RDRAM
>
> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
> time" to be buying memory?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Rambus memory in the 8250 is, I'm sure, of the 1066Mhz variety and is
phenomenally expensive.

Inel (and Dell) bailed out of Rambus - I'd advise against trying to buy
more, you'll actually be better off buying a new system.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 7:31:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Well THAT'S a bit extreme.... I'm perfectly satisfied with my system and
won't buy a new system just because I want to add more memory.

But thanks for your input anyway.


"Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@mrspankys.bigtopnet> wrote in message
news:vFwGd.159784$Z7.102505@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:_wwGd.17502$B95.4641@lakeread02...
>> Need some info here, please...
>>
>> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
>>
>> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
>> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need
>> to look for?
>>
>> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
>> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
>> B. Look for RDRAM
>>
>> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
>> time" to be buying memory?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rambus memory in the 8250 is, I'm sure, of the 1066Mhz variety and is
> phenomenally expensive.
>
> Inel (and Dell) bailed out of Rambus - I'd advise against trying to buy
> more, you'll actually be better off buying a new system.
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 8:00:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:iYwGd.17509$B95.7435@lakeread02...
> Well THAT'S a bit extreme.... I'm perfectly satisfied with my system and
> won't buy a new system just because I want to add more memory.
>
> But thanks for your input anyway.
>

No problems............bear in mind that for not a great deal more than the
price of 2 x 512mb sticks of 1066mhz Rambus though, you could probably go to
Dell's website and configure a Dimension 8300/8400.

Sell the Rambus on eBay (I did with my 4 x 512mb stricks) and you'll get a
new system for next no nothing ;-)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 8:04:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@mrspankys.bigtopnet> wrote in message
news:M4xGd.145707$48.58996@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:iYwGd.17509$B95.7435@lakeread02...
>> Well THAT'S a bit extreme.... I'm perfectly satisfied with my system and
>> won't buy a new system just because I want to add more memory.
>>
>> But thanks for your input anyway.
>>
>
> No problems............bear in mind that for not a great deal more than
> the price of 2 x 512mb sticks of 1066mhz Rambus though, you could probably
> go to Dell's website and configure a Dimension 8300/8400.
>
> Sell the Rambus on eBay (I did with my 4 x 512mb stricks) and you'll get a
> new system for next no nothing ;-)
>

Just did a quick search...........here in the UK, the cheapest I can find
another 512mb of memory for you is £186+ delivery.

I can get a complete Dimension 5000 delivered for £279 and probably sell the
Rambus for £140!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 8:04:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I see what you're saying, but I am still going to buy two 256MB sticks and
do an upgrade. When I'm finished with this PC, I'll pass it on to one of my
kids... but not yet.


"Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@mrspankys.bigtopnet> wrote in message
news:v8xGd.120235$C8.25179@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@mrspankys.bigtopnet> wrote in message
> news:M4xGd.145707$48.58996@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>
>> "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:iYwGd.17509$B95.7435@lakeread02...
>>> Well THAT'S a bit extreme.... I'm perfectly satisfied with my system
>>> and won't buy a new system just because I want to add more memory.
>>>
>>> But thanks for your input anyway.
>>>
>>
>> No problems............bear in mind that for not a great deal more than
>> the price of 2 x 512mb sticks of 1066mhz Rambus though, you could
>> probably go to Dell's website and configure a Dimension 8300/8400.
>>
>> Sell the Rambus on eBay (I did with my 4 x 512mb stricks) and you'll get
>> a new system for next no nothing ;-)
>>
>
> Just did a quick search...........here in the UK, the cheapest I can find
> another 512mb of memory for you is £186+ delivery.
>
> I can get a complete Dimension 5000 delivered for £279 and probably sell
> the Rambus for £140!
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 9:54:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

See what the processor speed and front side bus are. Enter your service tag in
the support section at the Dell web site or go into the BIOS setup menus.

FWIW, I paid a little less than $200 for 512MB of PC1066 recently from an eBay
seller. I plan to install the memory in my client's 8250 this week.

PC800 is less expensive than PC1066 by a bit. PC1066 effectively came at the
end of the line for RAMBUS in a quasi mainstream top end computer, so it was
never manufactured in the quantities that the slower PC600, PC711 and PC800
were... Ben Myers

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:00:16 -0500, "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thank you....
>How do I know which of these apply to my situation?
>> Memory type
>> PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
>> PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
>> clock speed
>
>AND
>
> > PC800
>> 40 ns or faster
>>
>> PC1066
>> 32 ns or faster
>
>
>
>
>
>"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>news:10ul6qps639fobb@corp.supernews.com...
>> For the 8200:
>>
>> Memory
>>
>> Type
>> PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)
>>
>> Memory connectors
>> four
>>
>> Memory capacities
>> 64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC
>>
>> Minimum memory
>> 128 MB
>>
>> Maximum memory
>> 2 GB for PC800
>> 1.5 GB for PC1066
>>
>> Memory type
>> PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed
>> PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
>> clock speed
>>
>> Memory speed
>>
>>
>> PC800
>> 40 ns or faster
>>
>> PC1066
>> 32 ns or faster
>>
>>
>>
>> "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:_wwGd.17502$B95.4641@lakeread02...
>>> Need some info here, please...
>>>
>>> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
>>>
>>> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
>>> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need
>>> to look for?
>>>
>>> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
>>> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
>>> B. Look for RDRAM
>>>
>>> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
>>> time" to be buying memory?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 10:24:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I understand your point about upgrading, but let me add my two cents.

When I wanted to upgrade my 8100 (P4-1.7), I sold the memory, sold the XP
upgrade, sold the machine.

Bought a brand-new (at the time) 4550, well-equipped, P4-2.66

Made a $25 profit on the whole deal.

Tom
"Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:_wwGd.17502$B95.4641@lakeread02...
> Need some info here, please...
>
> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
>
> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need to
> look for?
>
> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
> B. Look for RDRAM
>
> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
> time" to be buying memory?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 10:47:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1105898067.280391.302500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> i'm no currency exchange expert, but isn't 279 english pounds roughly
> 400 dollars american? can't go near a 5000 for that much in the states.
> when the 5000 finally reaches us, that is. how can this be, that you
> have such inexpensive comps in england? damn brits!! daft punters, all
> of ya : )
>

:-))

Don't be under any illusions, the deal's a very-bottom-of-the-range spec but
there's bags of room for upgrade as and when the need arises

If I were the OP, that's where I'd be looking to spend my Euros rather than
splash out on obsolete technology.

Just my 2 cents worth as Kent Brockman would say :-)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 11:04:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Gotcha', Tom... sounds like it worked out well for you too.



"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:mwDGd.19834$BP1.9340@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>I understand your point about upgrading, but let me add my two cents.
>
> When I wanted to upgrade my 8100 (P4-1.7), I sold the memory, sold the XP
> upgrade, sold the machine.
>
> Bought a brand-new (at the time) 4550, well-equipped, P4-2.66
>
> Made a $25 profit on the whole deal.
>
> Tom
> "Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:_wwGd.17502$B95.4641@lakeread02...
>> Need some info here, please...
>>
>> I own a Dimension 8250 desktop with 512MB of RAM. (Two 256MB sticks)
>>
>> I would like to add an additional 512MB of RAM (Two additional 256MB
>> sticks). When I start shopping around, what "specifications" do I need
>> to look for?
>>
>> At this point what I believe (not KNOW) is ...
>> A. RAM must be installed in paired sticks
>> B. Look for RDRAM
>>
>> What else do I need to look for when making a purchase and is now a "good
>> time" to be buying memory?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 16, 2005 11:52:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mister Duke" <Mr_Duke76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ZaEGd.17546$B95.4218@lakeread02...
> Gotcha', Tom... sounds like it worked out well for you too.
>
>
>

Duke,

Here's your upgrade:

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.m...

$250 bucks.

Not to be a smart arse, but there IS no good time to buy RDRAM. It's always
been expensive, and it probably always will be. Some of the specs for your
system memory are listed on the linked page.

To counter Tom's very reasonable argument, I'll add mine just for a
point-counter-point.

Depending on your 8250's current configuration and what you use it for, this
upgrade may not be a loser. If the machine has been trouble-free and you
really enjoy it - and if your uses for the machine aren't top-of-the-scale
demanding (and won't be for 2-3 years), then your machine is plenty viable
for some time.

I honestly don't know if you could parse the components out as Tom did and
come up with a (top of the line, like your 8250) Dim 8400 with money in your
pocket.

Good luck, whichever you choose.


Stew
May 22, 2009 5:34:56 PM

The Memory for the 8200 and 8250 are RDRAM insteps of 64-128-256-512 MB and you can use either ECC or NON-ECC ... DO NOT MIX ECC and NON ECC! The 8200 and 8250 can hold up to 2MB of PC-800 RDRAM. It cost around $110 x 2 = $220 USD for a pair.

Also, it is PC-800 and must be installed in pairs! I have 1GB in my systems (Dell Dimension 8200 and 8250 H/T) and will upgrade both systems as well myself. Though the systems are old, they run quite well with memory and video upgrades. (The AGP video cards are backwards compatable... so a 8x AGP card will work in the 4x slot. ATI offers a nice 128mb video card [which runs great] and made a huge difference to the nVidea 64MB card I replaced in the 8200. I will 'try' a ATI 256 MB card in my 8250 and replace the 128 AGP card. Nevertheless, I have a Dell XPS-710 as my main PC but still desire to keep these old computers going for as long as possible.

System Info for the 8200:

Intel 850 / 400-MHz FSB

January 3, 2013 9:10:54 PM

i have a dell dimension 8250 what happens if i use original Dell memory pair 256 mb x 8 nns non-ecc with adding a pair of 512 mb x 16 nns ecc? Currently i have the 256 mb in banks 1 & 2 and 512 mb in banks 3 & 4.
!