Interesting problem with wireless

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have a notebook I'm trying to add to my network.
Currently, the network consists of 3 PCs, connected via
ethernet. I'm using a MS Broadband Networking Wireless
Base Station (MN-500) to do this.
My notebook has been struggling to connect to this
network, though. It's used 2 products: 1 Linksys Wireless
B WPC11 v.4, and 1 MS Broadband Networking Wireless USB
Adapter (MN-510).
Using both products has resulted in the following
situation.

My notebook claims to detect the base station. It's
unable to actively connect to anything, though.
Meanwhile, the computer I'm typing this on CAN detect the
notebook in the Broadband Network Utility. More than
that: it can access the notebook's shared folders. This
one problem might merely be fat32 vs ntfs, since the
notebook's running Win98SE, but my notebook is also unable
to detect the internet. It's not the internet's fault,
because it works fine on my other machines. It's not a
weak signal, b/c the adapters were within 5 feet of the
base station. I've checked that the notebook's within the
proper IP range, which it manages to acquire from the base
station. Drivers are up to date, but win98se is straight
from the CD, due to its inability to reach the internet,
and my lack of time to manually download each *.exe and
transfer them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have both devices enabled at the same time, don't. They either
Bridge or fight for the connection. You can easily right-click one of them
and select Disable. It doesn't uninstall the device or anything, just
doesn't let it get into the equation.
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a notebook I'm trying to add to my network.
> Currently, the network consists of 3 PCs, connected via
> ethernet. I'm using a MS Broadband Networking Wireless
> Base Station (MN-500) to do this.
> My notebook has been struggling to connect to this
> network, though. It's used 2 products: 1 Linksys Wireless
> B WPC11 v.4, and 1 MS Broadband Networking Wireless USB
> Adapter (MN-510).
> Using both products has resulted in the following
> situation.
>
> My notebook claims to detect the base station. It's
> unable to actively connect to anything, though.
> Meanwhile, the computer I'm typing this on CAN detect the
> notebook in the Broadband Network Utility. More than
> that: it can access the notebook's shared folders. This
> one problem might merely be fat32 vs ntfs, since the
> notebook's running Win98SE, but my notebook is also unable
> to detect the internet. It's not the internet's fault,
> because it works fine on my other machines. It's not a
> weak signal, b/c the adapters were within 5 feet of the
> base station. I've checked that the notebook's within the
> proper IP range, which it manages to acquire from the base
> station. Drivers are up to date, but win98se is straight
> from the CD, due to its inability to reach the internet,
> and my lack of time to manually download each *.exe and
> transfer them.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I already disabled the usb adapter, but It didn't help.
Likewise, I had the usb adapter installed and tested before
the card adapter was installed, so it wouldn't seem that
the 2 are conflicting.