Control Panel/Add & Remove Problem

Hi. We have Windows XP Home Edition, IE 6.0 SP2.

If I go into Control Panel and then into Add and Remove, it seems when I
populate the list of programs installed the list starts alphabetically by "A"
and then goes to "F". Then I have to scroll down to the remaining programs
beginning with "G" and ending at "Z".

This would not be a problem but I only have to scroll because there is a
huge black area that has formed between the F programs until the screen turns
back to listing the remaining programs. The dialogue box starts out all
black and then goes into black and white stripes. Very strange.

I don't know when this happened...when we downloaded SP2? I don't know but
I would really like to get rid of all the black and white in the add and
remove dialogue box.

Any ideas how to do this?

Thank you very much.
2 answers Last reply
More about control panel remove problem

    Hi Jillian,

    Download the fix from line 226 in the right column here:

    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://dts-l.org/

    jillian wrote:
    > Hi. We have Windows XP Home Edition, IE 6.0 SP2.
    >
    > If I go into Control Panel and then into Add and Remove,
    > it seems when I populate the list of programs installed
    > the list starts alphabetically by "A" and then goes to
    > "F". Then I have to scroll down to the remaining
    > programs beginning with "G" and ending at "Z".
    >
    > This would not be a problem but I only have to scroll
    > because there is a huge black area that has formed
    > between the F programs until the screen turns back to
    > listing the remaining programs. The dialogue box starts
    > out all black and then goes into black and white stripes.
    > Very strange.
    >
    > I don't know when this happened...when we downloaded SP2?
    > I don't know but I would really like to get rid of all
    > the black and white in the add and remove dialogue box.
    >
    > Any ideas how to do this?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    > Download the fix from line 226 in the right column here:

    I have the IDENTICAL Add/Remove display window problem, right down to the
    large black/white region beginning after the "F" entires. I launched Resedit
    and went to the strings listed, but the instructions thereafter are very,
    very vague about what exactly gets edited. There's no negative numbers in
    strings I can see, "removing the last entry" means the last application
    listed, the last "F" application, the last string inside a folder? It's not
    very clear about what to actually edit out. I know enough to not proceed
    further editing anything at this junction.

    Any more specific directions would be greatly appreciated and a learning
    experience.

    Thanks!

Control Panel Internet Explorer Windows XP