Geforce 310M not detected after BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sle94

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I crashed my laptop when I was trying to run Minecraft in Chrome. After my laptop restarted, it switched to use Intel HD Graphics instead of Geforce 310M. In Device Manager I couldn't find Geforce 310M. I tried to install the Geforce 300 series for notebooks but it couldn't detect the hardware. Anybody know how to fix this? :(

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Does the BIOS see both cards? I'd say it's unlikely that you killed your GPU but it's certainly possible, especially if it was exposed to prolonged temperatures near or exceeding it's maximum operating temperature (due to dust, a conservative fan profile, or more likely, both).

sle94

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I checked the BIOS but didn't know where to look for graphic cards. In CPU-Z it only showed the Intel HD. I'm sure it was because of the BSOD because before it happened the Geforce 310M was still working well. Could the crash kill the card?

Install the nVidia drivers from the website of brandname of your laptop. So if you have a Dell, go to Dell's website to download the drivers.

If that does not work, then you need to do a complete re-install of Windows. Backup and important data on the C: drive before do so otherwise it will be wiped out.

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Maybe a power surge caused the graphics card to go out. Do you happen to have a spare? Or borrow one from somebody? Do you think the card was not properly seated? Is this card new? Maybe you can RMA it?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

It's a built-in notebook GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.