Desktop Background files.

Does anyone know where the list of files, shown when you want to choose a
desktop background, are stored. I have used some photographs that are no
long on the computer, but they still show in the list of available
backgrounds. I would like to clean-up the list that shows in Display
Properties.
3 answers Last reply
More about desktop background files

    Richard, go to C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper
    "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know where the list of files, shown when you want to choose a
    > desktop background, are stored. I have used some photographs that are no
    > long on the computer, but they still show in the list of available
    > backgrounds. I would like to clean-up the list that shows in Display
    > Properties.

    I know that C:\Window\web\Wallpaper is where you store files you want to see
    in the list. But if you "Browse" and pick up a picture from another folder,
    this picture gets listed in the Display Properties list of backgrounds.
    However, if you then delete this picture from the original folder, the list
    still shows it.

    There must be some place in the registry where this list is maintained.
    That is what I am looking for.

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Richard, go to C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper
    > "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know where the list of files, shown when you want to choose a
    >> desktop background, are stored. I have used some photographs that are no
    >> long on the computer, but they still show in the list of available
    >> backgrounds. I would like to clean-up the list that shows in Display
    >> Properties.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    Wallpaper\MRU

    Good luck reading the values in this puppy.

    Double click each item to see what it is. Even though it's REG_BINARY, you
    can read it in English. Sort of.

    You may want to look at this...
    144. Clear Wallpaper Most Frequently Used List

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eVlzdSzLFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Richard Goh <me@mailinator.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I know that C:\Window\web\Wallpaper is where you store files you want
    > to see in the list. But if you "Browse" and pick up a picture from
    > another folder, this picture gets listed in the Display Properties
    > list of backgrounds. However, if you then delete this picture from
    > the original folder, the list still shows it.
    >
    > There must be some place in the registry where this list is
    > maintained. That is what I am looking for.
    >
    > "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Richard, go to C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper
    >> "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone know where the list of files, shown when you want to
    >>> choose a desktop background, are stored. I have used some
    >>> photographs that are no long on the computer, but they still show
    >>> in the list of available backgrounds. I would like to clean-up
    >>> the list that shows in Display Properties.

Support Desktops Microsoft Windows XP