Question regarding the 9000 series on 8x....

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
I have a 9700 Pro and I must say I am thoroughly unimpressed with it considering all of the good reviews floating out there about it.

It suffers from numerous compatibility issues as well as visual artifacts. And please do not tell me to get an RMA on it as this is the 2nd one I've gotten.

I remember back in the days of 4x and 2x AGP, there were some issues with cards, specifically those that could run at 4x, they would only run at 1.5 voltage. And some AGP slots that were 2x, would only support 3.3V If you ran into a situation with a card that would only function at 1.5V, and put it in a 3.3 slot, you could experience screen corruption of various sorts...

The cards that would only run at 1.5V required an AGP 2.0 slot

My question is.... do any of the Radeon 9000 cards require a motherboard with an with 8X AGP/3.0 slot Because the new voltage for 8X is 0.5 It has been said forever more that 8X AGP is backwards compatible with 4X AGP.

Does anyone know the answer to this? If the Radeon 9000 cards at 8X do not require a motherboard with AGP 3.0, I am going to trade my 9700 Pro for a GeForceFX card.... as I can think of no other reason why I am experiencing these visual artifacts and compatiblity issues

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
No, that's not the problem. Framerate has nothing to do with being unable to run any games that use the Unreal engine under Direct3D, flickering in Battlefield 1942, choppy windows animations, the duplicating machinegun fire artifact I get in Operation Flashpoint, or any of the other problems I have been having - things I did not experience with my 4200 on 4X.

Performance is not the issue that is bothering me at the moment.

cleeve

Illustrious
Did you try forcing 4x AGP?

SHouldn't be a performance difference, but it might help diagnose if it's an AGP instability.

Try turning fast writes off, too...

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055

cleeve

Illustrious
I'm running a 9500 PRO on a sis735 with no problems.

You should look into the forums for those specific games and see if what you're experiencing isn't simply driver related.

It could be that, unluckily, you happen to be running the worst possible suite of games with that card... meaning by some act of god, your favorite titles happen to have issues and show artifacts with the catalyst drivers you're using.

I'm curious, can you run Unreal based games under opengl? And if so, why do you want to use Direct3d?

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
I can run Deus Ex under OpenGL, but not The Wheel of Time (I can't run Wheel of Time period now :-(.

Yes some of the games I like to play are older, and I would take it ATI hasn't geared the 9000 series towards that.

I am using 3.7 of course. I just uh, I just don't know what to do. Maybe it is bad luck. But I thought the 9700 Pro was simply the perfect card

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I have wierd problems with Max Payne with my modded 9500--flickering artifacts everywhere. My ATI 7500 used to run it just fine. But all my other games work fine with the modded 9500... and each ATI driver over the last year has gotten better. NWN is not as fast as I like, but it is beautiful... and the drivers have slowly gotten better with that game... it is now as better than it has even been. I would like to complete Max Payne some day... before MP2 comes out.

BTW, how does 3DMark03 look on your card? Does it have artifacts?

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, you're DEAD WRONG. EVERY AGP4x card worked perfectly on the BX chipset, which was AGP2x (AGP1.0). Some BOARDS had problems providing ENOUGH POWER to the AGP slot, but that wasn't a card issue. When Intel released the i850 chipset it only supported 1.5v signals, and THAT'S when the problems started. The i850 isn't AGP 1.0 compliant, all AGP4x cards were.

A Radeon 9000 will work on a 5 year old Pentium II system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Framerate has nothing to do with being unable to run any games that use the Unreal engine under Direct3D

well that sounds like a driver problem more than anything

if you had a TI4200 on the same windows install, i would try a complete reformatt. nVidia's Detonator drivers are notorious for NOT uninstalling even if you do

www.guru3d.com

look for Detonator Destroyer
-------

................<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phial on 10/16/03 03:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Detonator Destroyer doesnt work on WinXP. You have to use Detonator R.I.P. <A HREF="http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/" target="_new">http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/</A>

<b>I help because you suck</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
was i asking yoU!?!?!?!?!?

go, shoo mind your own business mr.smartypants

=)

juuuust kidding. sup GW, i still love you in case you were wondering

-------