Windows XP SP2 Recovery disk?

Hi. I was wondering if someone here could help.

Had a strange bootup today. Some desktop icons were gone. From the run
command I did a "sfc /scannow", which told me it needed DLL files. But
it said my original Window XP CD was not the right CD. Fortunately, I
just did a full drive image backup last week, so I restored that.

To avoid a repeat, I'd like to create a Windows XP SP2 recovery CD.
There's a February 8, 2005 PC Magazine article about building a SP2 CD.
Good article, but I'm confused. I have the Service Pack 2 CD. So, do I
still need to download that huge WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU file?

Do I even need to build a recovery disc? That is, if I ran "sfc
/scannow", would any needed DLL files be on the SP2 CD? Any advice
would be greatly appreciated...Dennis

Dennis, check here. You can use the SP2 CD to do this.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+to+Slipstream+SP2+and+WinXP+on+CD&btnG=Google+Search

"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I was wondering if someone here could help.
>
> Had a strange bootup today. Some desktop icons were gone. From the run
> command I did a "sfc /scannow", which told me it needed DLL files. But it
> said my original Window XP CD was not the right CD. Fortunately, I just
> did a full drive image backup last week, so I restored that.
>
> To avoid a repeat, I'd like to create a Windows XP SP2 recovery CD.
> There's a February 8, 2005 PC Magazine article about building a SP2 CD.
> Good article, but I'm confused. I have the Service Pack 2 CD. So, do I
> still need to download that huge WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU file?
>
> Do I even need to build a recovery disc? That is, if I ran "sfc
> /scannow", would any needed DLL files be on the SP2 CD? Any advice would
> be greatly appreciated...Dennis

Thanks.

That article has a little more explanation then the PCMag article. I'd
still like to find out more about the SP2 CD. What's on it, does it
have the WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU files, does it have the DLL files
needed for the System File Checker?

If I do build a SP2 Recovery CD, will I be able to use it to restore
corrupted DLL files in a "sfc /scannow"? For all I know, I might
corrupted files at this moment...Dennis

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Dennis, check here. You can use the SP2 CD to do this.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+to+Slipstream+SP2+and+WinXP+on+CD&btnG=Google+Search
>

> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
>> Hi. I was wondering if someone here could help.
>>
>> Had a strange bootup today. Some desktop icons were gone. From the
>> run command I did a "sfc /scannow", which told me it needed DLL
>> files. But it said my original Window XP CD was not the right CD.
>> Fortunately, I just did a full drive image backup last week, so I
>> restored that.
>>
>> To avoid a repeat, I'd like to create a Windows XP SP2 recovery CD.
>> There's a February 8, 2005 PC Magazine article about building a SP2
>> CD. Good article, but I'm confused. I have the Service Pack 2 CD.
>> So, do I still need to download that huge WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU
>> file?
>>
>> Do I even need to build a recovery disc? That is, if I ran "sfc
>> /scannow", would any needed DLL files be on the SP2 CD? Any advice
>> would be greatly appreciated...Dennis

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Dennis, check here. You can use the SP2 CD to do this.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+to+Slipstream+SP2+and+WinXP+on+CD&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

This article shows how to create a XP SP2 recovery CD with the SP2 CD.
No need to spend all day downloading. I'll probably create a new
recovery disc this weekend...Dennis