Windows XP SP2 Recovery disk?

Hi. I was wondering if someone here could help.

Had a strange bootup today. Some desktop icons were gone. From the run
command I did a "sfc /scannow", which told me it needed DLL files. But
it said my original Window XP CD was not the right CD. Fortunately, I
just did a full drive image backup last week, so I restored that.

To avoid a repeat, I'd like to create a Windows XP SP2 recovery CD.
There's a February 8, 2005 PC Magazine article about building a SP2 CD.
Good article, but I'm confused. I have the Service Pack 2 CD. So, do I
still need to download that huge WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU file?

Do I even need to build a recovery disc? That is, if I ran "sfc
/scannow", would any needed DLL files be on the SP2 CD? Any advice
would be greatly appreciated...Dennis
3 answers Last reply
More about windows recovery disk

    Dennis, check here. You can use the SP2 CD to do this.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+to+Slipstream+SP2+and+WinXP+on+CD&btnG=Google+Search

    "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I was wondering if someone here could help.
    >
    > Had a strange bootup today. Some desktop icons were gone. From the run
    > command I did a "sfc /scannow", which told me it needed DLL files. But it
    > said my original Window XP CD was not the right CD. Fortunately, I just
    > did a full drive image backup last week, so I restored that.
    >
    > To avoid a repeat, I'd like to create a Windows XP SP2 recovery CD.
    > There's a February 8, 2005 PC Magazine article about building a SP2 CD.
    > Good article, but I'm confused. I have the Service Pack 2 CD. So, do I
    > still need to download that huge WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU file?
    >
    > Do I even need to build a recovery disc? That is, if I ran "sfc
    > /scannow", would any needed DLL files be on the SP2 CD? Any advice would
    > be greatly appreciated...Dennis

    Thanks.

    That article has a little more explanation then the PCMag article. I'd
    still like to find out more about the SP2 CD. What's on it, does it
    have the WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU files, does it have the DLL files
    needed for the System File Checker?

    If I do build a SP2 Recovery CD, will I be able to use it to restore
    corrupted DLL files in a "sfc /scannow"? For all I know, I might
    corrupted files at this moment...Dennis

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Dennis, check here. You can use the SP2 CD to do this.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+to+Slipstream+SP2+and+WinXP+on+CD&btnG=Google+Search
    >

    > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi. I was wondering if someone here could help.
    >>
    >> Had a strange bootup today. Some desktop icons were gone. From the
    >> run command I did a "sfc /scannow", which told me it needed DLL
    >> files. But it said my original Window XP CD was not the right CD.
    >> Fortunately, I just did a full drive image backup last week, so I
    >> restored that.
    >>
    >> To avoid a repeat, I'd like to create a Windows XP SP2 recovery CD.
    >> There's a February 8, 2005 PC Magazine article about building a SP2
    >> CD. Good article, but I'm confused. I have the Service Pack 2 CD.
    >> So, do I still need to download that huge WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU
    >> file?
    >>
    >> Do I even need to build a recovery disc? That is, if I ran "sfc
    >> /scannow", would any needed DLL files be on the SP2 CD? Any advice
    >> would be greatly appreciated...Dennis

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Dennis, check here. You can use the SP2 CD to do this.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+to+Slipstream+SP2+and+WinXP+on+CD&btnG=Google+Search

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    This article shows how to create a XP SP2 recovery CD with the SP2 CD.
    No need to spend all day downloading. I'll probably create a new
    recovery disc this weekend...Dennis

Recovery Disk CD-Rom Windows XP