PC with XP Slowest I ever saw...

I have a pc with a PC Chips motherboard M810LR, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
processor, and 120 mg ram. If there are three widows open it locks
up and has to be rebooted. It has to be the slowest pc in the world.
It is basically not useable. The hard drive checks out and was zero
written. This is a clean first install of Windows XP Professional.

Under "System Information" at the bottom is this:

Total Physical Memory 128.00 mb
Available physical memory 31.79 mb
Total Virtual Memory 406.71
Available Virtual Memory 245.90
Page File Space 287.39
Page file C:\pagefile sys

What is causing this and how do I fix it.

Any help greatly appreciated...
9 answers Last reply
More about slowest

    "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
    >I have a pc with a PC Chips motherboard M810LR, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
    > processor, and 120 mg ram. If there are three widows open it locks
    > up and has to be rebooted. It has to be the slowest pc in the world.
    > It is basically not useable. The hard drive checks out and was zero
    > written. This is a clean first install of Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > Under "System Information" at the bottom is this:
    >
    > Total Physical Memory 128.00 mb
    > Available physical memory 31.79 mb
    > Total Virtual Memory 406.71
    > Available Virtual Memory 245.90
    > Page File Space 287.39
    > Page file C:\pagefile sys
    >
    > What is causing this and how do I fix it.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated...

    That thing is running on virtual memory 10 seconds after it boots up.
    Virtual memory is slow. XP takes more ram then you have there. At least 256
    and if you can 512 or more.

    It had (2)128 mb in it and I thought there might be a conflict between
    them causing it to be slow. I took one out and it made no difference.
    I'll put it back in but it will likely still not be enough...

    bud wrote:
    > "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a pc with a PC Chips motherboard M810LR, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
    >>processor, and 120 mg ram. If there are three widows open it locks
    >>up and has to be rebooted. It has to be the slowest pc in the world.
    >>It is basically not useable. The hard drive checks out and was zero
    >>written. This is a clean first install of Windows XP Professional.
    >>
    >>Under "System Information" at the bottom is this:
    >>
    >>Total Physical Memory 128.00 mb
    >>Available physical memory 31.79 mb
    >>Total Virtual Memory 406.71
    >>Available Virtual Memory 245.90
    >>Page File Space 287.39
    >>Page file C:\pagefile sys
    >>
    >>What is causing this and how do I fix it.
    >>
    >>Any help greatly appreciated...
    >

    > That thing is running on virtual memory 10 seconds after it boots up.
    > Virtual memory is slow. XP takes more ram then you have there. At least 256
    > and if you can 512 or more.

    looks like your PC is running with an on-board Display Adapter. Go to BIOS
    and give it more than the 8Mb that it would appear to have given:

    Total Physical Memory 128.00 mb and that you also report:
    1.3 gig AMD Athlon processor, and 120 mg ram

    You can adjust this in BIOS.

    Also you should review the Display Adapter Properties and set the colour
    depth back down to 16bit from 24bit as it will speed up Window 'drawing' and
    'refresh'.

    Check also in Device Manager for any other devices that may have a Yellow
    Exclamation Mark next to them which would indicate an error, usually an
    incorrect driver. Also check there to see if Xp has installed a generic
    display adapter driver or the specific one for your PC [review the Manual to
    identify the model and type of your adapter].

    Another item to consider, is IF you have a separate Display Adapter [plug-in
    card], then diable the on-board card in BIOS and plug the Monitor into the
    plug-in adapter.

    "Dennis" wrote:

    > It had (2)128 mb in it and I thought there might be a conflict between
    > them causing it to be slow. I took one out and it made no difference.
    > I'll put it back in but it will likely still not be enough...
    >
    > bud wrote:
    > > "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I have a pc with a PC Chips motherboard M810LR, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
    > >>processor, and 120 mg ram. If there are three widows open it locks
    > >>up and has to be rebooted. It has to be the slowest pc in the world.
    > >>It is basically not useable. The hard drive checks out and was zero
    > >>written. This is a clean first install of Windows XP Professional.
    > >>
    > >>Under "System Information" at the bottom is this:
    > >>
    > >>Total Physical Memory 128.00 mb
    > >>Available physical memory 31.79 mb
    > >>Total Virtual Memory 406.71
    > >>Available Virtual Memory 245.90
    > >>Page File Space 287.39
    > >>Page file C:\pagefile sys
    > >>
    > >>What is causing this and how do I fix it.
    > >>
    > >>Any help greatly appreciated...
    > >

    > > That thing is running on virtual memory 10 seconds after it boots up.
    > > Virtual memory is slow. XP takes more ram then you have there. At least 256
    > > and if you can 512 or more.

    Added 128 mg memory and it is still as slow as STP in the winter.
    It now says:

    Total Physical Memory 256.00 mb
    Available physical memory 160.29 mb
    Total Virtual Memory 660.64
    Available Virtual Memory 499.60
    Page File Space 413.28
    Page file C:\pagefile sys

    bud wrote:
    > "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a pc with a PC Chips motherboard M810LR, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
    >>processor, and 120 mg ram. If there are three widows open it locks
    >>up and has to be rebooted. It has to be the slowest pc in the world.
    >>It is basically not useable. The hard drive checks out and was zero
    >>written. This is a clean first install of Windows XP Professional.
    >>
    >>Under "System Information" at the bottom is this:
    >>
    >>Total Physical Memory 128.00 mb
    >>Available physical memory 31.79 mb
    >>Total Virtual Memory 406.71
    >>Available Virtual Memory 245.90
    >>Page File Space 287.39
    >>Page file C:\pagefile sys
    >>
    >>What is causing this and how do I fix it.
    >>
    >>Any help greatly appreciated...
    >

    > That thing is running on virtual memory 10 seconds after it boots up.
    > Virtual memory is slow. XP takes more ram then you have there. At least 256
    > and if you can 512 or more.

    NEED RAM!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > Added 128 mg memory and it is still as slow as STP in the winter.
    So, your are now up to a whole 256 mb.
    You need more than that.
    Jim

    I know of two PCs running Windows XP professional for several years
    now with no problem on 1 stick of 256 mb memory. Never one problem
    like this...

    Jim wrote:

    > "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Added 128 mg memory and it is still as slow as STP in the winter.
    >
    > So, your are now up to a whole 256 mb.
    > You need more than that.
    > Jim

    Try 1 Gig man thats SWEEEEEEEEEEET.

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:39:31 -0500, "Richard Urban"
    <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >NEED RAM!

    I put this memory and processor on a different board in a new case
    and it runs great. Apparently memory amount was not the problem.
    I'm using all the same drives.

    Dennis wrote:

    > I have a pc with a PC Chips motherboard M810LR, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
    > processor, and 120 mg ram. If there are three widows open it locks
    > up and has to be rebooted. It has to be the slowest pc in the world.
    > It is basically not useable. The hard drive checks out and was zero
    > written. This is a clean first install of Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > Under "System Information" at the bottom is this:
    >
    > Total Physical Memory 128.00 mb
    > Available physical memory 31.79 mb
    > Total Virtual Memory 406.71
    > Available Virtual Memory 245.90
    > Page File Space 287.39
    > Page file C:\pagefile sys
    >
    > What is causing this and how do I fix it.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated...

Windows XP