Closed

Primary Drive 1 Not Found message on boot????

My wife's 4600 displays this message now upon boot up, after an
unsuccessful attempt to install a SATA drive. "Primary Drive 1 not found.
Press F1 to continue, Press F2 to enter setup utility."
It now requires one to physically press the F1 key to continue the boot
sequence, which certainly wasn't required before the failed installation.
Any idea on how to clear this up and return the computer to booting up
without operator intervention????

Mahalo,
Dave
7 answers Last reply
More about primary drive found message boot

    "Dave Cobb" <dpcprsto@ilhawaii.net> wrote in message
    > My wife's 4600 displays this message now upon boot up, after an
    > unsuccessful attempt to install a SATA drive. "Primary Drive 1 not found.
    > Press F1 to continue, Press F2 to enter setup utility."
    > It now requires one to physically press the F1 key to continue the
    > boot sequence, which certainly wasn't required before the failed
    > installation. Any idea on how to clear this up and return the computer to
    > booting up without operator intervention????
    >
    > Mahalo,
    > Dave

    Yep. F2 into BIOS.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/syssetup.htm#1138127

    Arrow down to SATA Primary Drive 1 and press enter. Turn the drive off by
    using the spacebar (If I remember right).

    You said "unsuccessful attempt". Is the SATA drive still in the machine and
    connected?

    Stew

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:22:41 GMT, "Dave Cobb" <dpcprsto@ilhawaii.net>
    wrote:

    > My wife's 4600 displays this message now upon boot up, after an
    >unsuccessful attempt to install a SATA drive. "Primary Drive 1 not found.
    >Press F1 to continue, Press F2 to enter setup utility."
    > It now requires one to physically press the F1 key to continue the boot
    >sequence, which certainly wasn't required before the failed installation.
    >Any idea on how to clear this up and return the computer to booting up
    >without operator intervention????
    >
    >Mahalo,
    >Dave

    Just curious: why was installing the SATA drive "unsuccessful"? I
    recently installed one, but found it would not play nice with the
    original IDE drive. So I took out the original and bought a USB case
    to run it from. Had to reinstall XP of course. My point is, you
    oughtn't to give up on SATA, you'll love the faster speed.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    "Paul Knudsen" <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:22:41 GMT, "Dave Cobb" <dpcprsto@ilhawaii.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My wife's 4600 displays this message now upon boot up, after an
    >>unsuccessful attempt to install a SATA drive. "Primary Drive 1 not found.
    >>Press F1 to continue, Press F2 to enter setup utility."
    >> It now requires one to physically press the F1 key to continue the
    >> boot
    >>sequence, which certainly wasn't required before the failed installation.
    >>Any idea on how to clear this up and return the computer to booting up
    >>without operator intervention????
    >>
    >>Mahalo,
    >>Dave
    >>
    > Just curious: why was installing the SATA drive "unsuccessful"? I
    > recently installed one, but found it would not play nice with the
    > original IDE drive. So I took out the original and bought a USB case
    > to run it from. Had to reinstall XP of course. My point is, you
    > oughtn't to give up on SATA, you'll love the faster speed.
    > --
    > Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
    > http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

    Turn off the SATA 1 drive in BIOS. It is apparently on from the failed
    drive install....

    Stew

    the BIOS go into the bios and then make sure cap lock scroll lock and
    number lock are all ON then press in this order Alt and E keys, Alt and F
    keys and finally Alt and B keys holding down the alt B Keys untill the
    system reboots its self , it will then do an automatic IDE configuration and
    your message should dissapear
    "Paul Knudsen" <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:22:41 GMT, "Dave Cobb" <dpcprsto@ilhawaii.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My wife's 4600 displays this message now upon boot up, after an
    >>unsuccessful attempt to install a SATA drive. "Primary Drive 1 not found.
    >>Press F1 to continue, Press F2 to enter setup utility."
    >> It now requires one to physically press the F1 key to continue the
    >> boot
    >>sequence, which certainly wasn't required before the failed installation.
    >>Any idea on how to clear this up and return the computer to booting up
    >>without operator intervention????
    >>
    >>Mahalo,
    >>Dave
    >>
    > Just curious: why was installing the SATA drive "unsuccessful"? I
    > recently installed one, but found it would not play nice with the
    > original IDE drive. So I took out the original and bought a USB case
    > to run it from. Had to reinstall XP of course. My point is, you
    > oughtn't to give up on SATA, you'll love the faster speed.
    > --
    > Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
    > http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

  5. To all who may still be having this problem I just wanted to let you know that I found the answer. After having my computer run just fine for years I had this same problem begin and was extremely upset. I went to the manufactor of my computer and typed in what the problem was (DELL) and they had the answer right there. I went into the setup utility and found that it was looking for another drive that wasn't there. I disabled those drives and now my computer started up without any problems at all. I have found so many people saying all the worse when actually it was a simple problem to fix. My computer was looking for a floppy drive and a slave when it never came with a floppy and the slave has been out of it for years. I don't know how a floppy became enabled but I am not worrying myself over it. I will admit some of the responses I read had me in such fear as my husband bought this for me for xmas in 2004 and he has passed several months ago and I didn't want to loose my computer because it meant so much to me when he surprised me. I didn't need to buy a bunch of stuff all I needed to do was go to the maker of my PC and ask the forum there and now it's running GREAT !!!!
  6. Quote:
[...]

    I was working on a Dell 2400 Desktop for a customer. Same problem once I used acronis to do a disc clone because the original hard drive was full & starting to fail.
    First is "Boot time from turning it on till I got into Windows Desktop: 1:28 second's. Once I figured it out I was able to
    go from starting system till entering Windows Desktop: 00:47:57 second's [Or 41 second's shorter boot up time]

    First of all, the Dell came with a 1 [one] hard drive ribbon cable. Since I had to use a regular 2 [two] hard drive ribbon cable to clone, I just left that cable in & put the old hard drive in the second hard drive spot. Note: You can put another hard drive in like for data storage.
    No more "Can't find disk drive 1" & no more "press F1 to continue or hit F2 to enter/run setup" Oh & cut shut down time by 50-60%.

    I guess you can check forums & all that but it was a snap doing it this way. maybe it will prompt the customer to ask for one more new hard drive so he can double his storage.... Hope this helped someone out.
  7. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Dell Boot Computers