BIG problems with Windows Upgrade

HI,
I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or something.
It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I have run
Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I ran
Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried to run
Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really need
to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this if
the web page fails?

Thanks!

bar

1. Unplug network / internet connections
2. Boot up into safe mode
3. Run Adaware
4. Run Anti-Virus

Make sure you go into the 'backup' vaults of bnoth and 'delete' all entries.

5. Go to a store and get a free SP2 CD.
6. Reboot the PC and turn off anti-virus autoprotect.
7. Install SP2.

Reboot and connect the network / internet.

"David Langschied" wrote:

> HI,
> I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or something.
> It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I have run
> Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I ran
> Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried to run
> Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
> Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really need
> to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this if
> the web page fails?
>
> Thanks!

David;
You MUST remove ALL viruses BEFORE attempting the upgrade.
You may need to use multiple tools .

When ready, follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist to install SP-2:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F6096F65-E6F6-45CF-B2B3-DF266C69D99A@microsoft.com...
> HI,
> I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or something.
> It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I have
> run
> Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I ran
> Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried to
> run
> Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
> Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really
> need
> to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this if
> the web page fails?
>
> Thanks!

I did not get this e-mail until after I had performed the av scan, the
adaware, and the SP2 update. I am still having issues with IE. It works for
the first few minutes after logging in and then fails. Is there any way that
I can fix this by getting an up-to-date IE installation? Win XP is now
current.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> David;
> You MUST remove ALL viruses BEFORE attempting the upgrade.
> You may need to use multiple tools .
>
> When ready, follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist to install SP-2:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:F6096F65-E6F6-45CF-B2B3-DF266C69D99A@microsoft.com...
> > HI,
> > I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or something.
> > It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I have
> > run
> > Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I ran
> > Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried to
> > run
> > Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
> > Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really
> > need
> > to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this if
> > the web page fails?
> >
> > Thanks!

David;
See if this helps: