BIG problems with Windows Upgrade

HI,
I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or something.
It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I have run
Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I ran
Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried to run
Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really need
to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this if
the web page fails?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about problems windows upgrade

    1. Unplug network / internet connections
    2. Boot up into safe mode
    3. Run Adaware
    4. Run Anti-Virus

    Make sure you go into the 'backup' vaults of bnoth and 'delete' all entries.

    5. Go to a store and get a free SP2 CD.
    6. Reboot the PC and turn off anti-virus autoprotect.
    7. Install SP2.

    Reboot and connect the network / internet.

    "David Langschied" wrote:

    > HI,
    > I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or something.
    > It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I have run
    > Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I ran
    > Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried to run
    > Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
    > Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really need
    > to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this if
    > the web page fails?
    >
    > Thanks!

    David;
    You MUST remove ALL viruses BEFORE attempting the upgrade.
    You may need to use multiple tools .

    When ready, follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist to install SP-2:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:F6096F65-E6F6-45CF-B2B3-DF266C69D99A@microsoft.com...
    > HI,
    > I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or something.
    > It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I have
    > run
    > Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I ran
    > Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried to
    > run
    > Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
    > Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really
    > need
    > to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this if
    > the web page fails?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I did not get this e-mail until after I had performed the av scan, the
    adaware, and the SP2 update. I am still having issues with IE. It works for
    the first few minutes after logging in and then fails. Is there any way that
    I can fix this by getting an up-to-date IE installation? Win XP is now
    current.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > David;
    > You MUST remove ALL viruses BEFORE attempting the upgrade.
    > You may need to use multiple tools .
    >
    > When ready, follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist to install SP-2:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:F6096F65-E6F6-45CF-B2B3-DF266C69D99A@microsoft.com...
    > > HI,
    > > I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or something.
    > > It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I have
    > > run
    > > Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I ran
    > > Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried to
    > > run
    > > Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
    > > Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really
    > > need
    > > to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this if
    > > the web page fails?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    David;
    See if this helps:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm

    --

    message news:339F83FE-98DA-4A21-880A-9D0F6FEECC81@microsoft.com...
    >I did not get this e-mail until after I had performed the av scan, the
    > adaware, and the SP2 update. I am still having issues with IE. It works
    > for
    > the first few minutes after logging in and then fails. Is there any way
    > that
    > I can fix this by getting an up-to-date IE installation? Win XP is now
    > current.
    >

    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> David;
    >> You MUST remove ALL viruses BEFORE attempting the upgrade.
    >> You may need to use multiple tools .
    >>
    >> When ready, follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist to install
    >> SP-2:
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:F6096F65-E6F6-45CF-B2B3-DF266C69D99A@microsoft.com...
    >> > HI,
    >> > I have a very big problem. I have a laptop that has a virus or
    >> > something.
    >> > It slows down the network as soon as it is plugged into the LAN. I
    >> > have
    >> > run
    >> > Norton Anti-Virus on it (8 viruses found, all have been removed). I
    >> > ran
    >> > Adaware on it (and removed some 150 suspected spyware). I then tried
    >> > run
    >> > Windows Upgrade (the OS is currently at SP 1 for Xp Home Edition). The
    >> > Windows Update page fails to load (a error finding "curSite). I really
    >> > need
    >> > to get the lastest version of Windows XP on this PC! How can I do this
    >> > if
    >> > the web page fails?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

Windows XP