perfdisk error message in event log

i am getting this error in my event log, i try to enable these counters and
can not find were to enable this in the device manager for any drives on any
property pages.

Unable to read the disk performance information from the system. Disk
performance counters must be enabled for at least one physical disk or
logical volume in order for these counters to appear. Disk performance
counters can be enabled by using the Hardware Device Manager property pages.
Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

thanks in advance

rich

start/run, type: %SystemRoot%\system32\perfmon.msc /s

look for log files or alerts to cancel.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"news.optonline.net" <rjsnews@mybyteshop.com> wrote in message news:Rq40e.5311$SU5.4684@fe10.lga...
>i am getting this error in my event log, i try to enable these counters and can not find were to enable this in the device manager
>for any drives on any property pages.
>

> Unable to read the disk performance information from the system. Disk performance counters must be enabled for at least one
> physical disk or logical volume in order for these counters to appear. Disk performance counters can be enabled by using the
> Hardware Device Manager property pages. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.
>

> thanks in advance
>
> rich

thanks mark, i checked there only thing i have in there is the sample files
no alerts
but what about the "Disk performance counters" that need to be enabled

rich

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> start/run, type: %SystemRoot%\system32\perfmon.msc /s
>
> look for log files or alerts to cancel.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "news.optonline.net" <rjsnews@mybyteshop.com> wrote in message
>>i am getting this error in my event log, i try to enable these counters
>>and can not find were to enable this in the device manager for any drives
>>on any property pages.
>>

>> Unable to read the disk performance information from the system. Disk
>> performance counters must be enabled for at least one physical disk or
>> logical volume in order for these counters to appear. Disk performance
>> counters can be enabled by using the Hardware Device Manager property
>> pages. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.
>>

>> thanks in advance
>>
>> rich

You probably have some driver for your hard drive that needs upgrading.

--

"news.optonline.net" <rjsnews@mybyteshop.com> wrote in message news:n6z0e.1822$ys2.264@fe12.lga...
> thanks mark, i checked there only thing i have in there is the sample files no alerts
> but what about the "Disk performance counters" that need to be enabled
>
> rich
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uXYYa08LFHA.2464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> start/run, type: %SystemRoot%\system32\perfmon.msc /s
>>
>> look for log files or alerts to cancel.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "news.optonline.net" <rjsnews@mybyteshop.com> wrote in message news:Rq40e.5311$SU5.4684@fe10.lga...
>>>i am getting this error in my event log, i try to enable these counters and can not find were to enable this in the device
>>>manager for any drives on any property pages.
>>>

>>> Unable to read the disk performance information from the system. Disk performance counters must be enabled for at least one
>>> physical disk or logical volume in order for these counters to appear. Disk performance counters can be enabled by using the
>>> Hardware Device Manager property pages. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.
>>>

>>> thanks in advance
>>>
>>> rich

frodo

at command line type:

diskperf -n

to turn disk performance counters off; this is an oft-reccomended tweak,
as most users do not need these counters and they do slow disk performance
slightly. In W2K these perf counters were on by default. Conversly,

diskperf -y

turns them on.

must reboot to have either change take effect.

----

as mark said, you may have an old (W2K) disk driver that depends upon
them, try updating the driver (for a raid card perhaps, or perhaps the old
(non-raid version) of the intel app accelerator, which you do not need
anymore in XP).

David Taber

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I just discovered this same problem on one of my Windows XP-SP3 systems (I have a pair of them: one works right, the other doesn't).

Symptoms are:
- on reboot, the Disable Performance Counters flags in the registry are set for the
disk object only; the system error logs show error code 2001 for PerfDisk
- any time I start perfmon.msc, the logical and physical disk counters are disabled
(as seen by exctrlst check-box on the perfdisk.dll service)
- any program that tries to read the logical or physical disk counters always gets "0"

Here's what I've tried doing:
- make sure that the services running on the failing system are the same as
the ones on the systems that work properly.
- use lodctr to make sure the exctrlst counter list is the same on all systems
- uninstalled/reinstalled the disk driver
- made sure that the perfdisk.dll is the same on all systems
- diskperf (which is supposed to do nothing on XP...)
- winmgmt /clearadap and /resycperf
- rebooting countless times
- trolling countless forums
- googling countless terms

Nothing has worked. Am I missing something? Is there some sort of a diagnostic I can run to narrow down the issue? The underlying problem is that the perfdisk service is instantly failing as soon as its run.

System config:
- Intel WinXP SP3 32 bit SP3
- commodity disk controller and drive (Fujitsu is not original equipment, but this
is just a single laptop drive)
- disk config is single disk with two partitions, NTFS on both of them