windows won't stay open

March 22, 2005 9:31:01 PM

I recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP and from dial-up to DSL. When
some some windows open win XP, they disappear in 2-3 seconds. For example, if
I go to RUN and type in REGEDIT, the registry window appears for a few
seconds and then vanishes. I read one response on this website to do a
scannow, but my computer says I don't have scannow.
I'm trying to open REGEDIT because my McAfee software vanished when I
upgraded, and I'm trying to uninstall it. Any fixes?

More about : windows stay open

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:57:32 AM

Anita L Casey wrote:
> I recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP and from dial-up to DSL. When
> some some windows open win XP, they disappear in 2-3 seconds. For example, if
> I go to RUN and type in REGEDIT, the registry window appears for a few
> seconds and then vanishes. I read one response on this website to do a
> scannow, but my computer says I don't have scannow.
> I'm trying to open REGEDIT because my McAfee software vanished when I
> upgraded, and I'm trying to uninstall it. Any fixes?

The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

W32.Klez
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

W32.Yaha
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

W32.Spybot.Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the Spybot
mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose definitions
aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free on-line
scanners to double-check your system.

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_...

Computer Associates:

DialogueScience:
http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/

F-Secure:
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

BitDefender
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

Freedom Online scanner
http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:51:41 PM

Anita,

This symptom is caused by viruses. Some viruses terminate Regedit, MSConfig
processes, and some delete the executables. Run these malware cleaners:

1. Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

2. SpyBot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org

3. CWShredder
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

Update 1 & 2 before running a scan.

Clean-up Windows Startup:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

Then, run a full system virus scan with fully updated definitions. Try Trend
Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers,
trojans etc.

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

!