windows won't stay open

I recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP and from dial-up to DSL. When
some some windows open win XP, they disappear in 2-3 seconds. For example, if
I go to RUN and type in REGEDIT, the registry window appears for a few
seconds and then vanishes. I read one response on this website to do a
scannow, but my computer says I don't have scannow.
I'm trying to open REGEDIT because my McAfee software vanished when I
upgraded, and I'm trying to uninstall it. Any fixes?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows stay open

    Anita L Casey wrote:
    > I recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP and from dial-up to DSL. When
    > some some windows open win XP, they disappear in 2-3 seconds. For example, if
    > I go to RUN and type in REGEDIT, the registry window appears for a few
    > seconds and then vanishes. I read one response on this website to do a
    > scannow, but my computer says I don't have scannow.
    > I'm trying to open REGEDIT because my McAfee software vanished when I
    > upgraded, and I'm trying to uninstall it. Any fixes?

    The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
    one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

    W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the Spybot
    mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose definitions
    aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free on-line
    scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

    Computer Associates:

    DialogueScience:
    http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    BitDefender
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Freedom Online scanner
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Anita,

    This symptom is caused by viruses. Some viruses terminate Regedit, MSConfig
    processes, and some delete the executables. Run these malware cleaners:

    1. Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    2. SpyBot S&D
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    3. CWShredder

    Update 1 & 2 before running a scan.

    Clean-up Windows Startup:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

    Then, run a full system virus scan with fully updated definitions. Try Trend
    Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers,
    trojans etc.

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Anita L Casey" <Anita L Casey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP and from dial-up to DSL. When
    > some some windows open win XP, they disappear in 2-3 seconds. For example,
    > if
    > I go to RUN and type in REGEDIT, the registry window appears for a few
    > seconds and then vanishes. I read one response on this website to do a
    > scannow, but my computer says I don't have scannow.
    > I'm trying to open REGEDIT because my McAfee software vanished when I
    > upgraded, and I'm trying to uninstall it. Any fixes?

Windows XP