Desktop icons highlighted

Today my desktop icons developed backgrounds behind the words. For example
"My Documents" instead of just being words on the screen is now in a
rectangular box. The color of the text box can be changed by changing the
desktop themes but I can't turn it off.

Thanks

Jeff

Try this. Right click My Computer, Click Properties, Click Advanced,
Click Performance Settings, Scroll down and put a checkmark next to Use
drop shadows for incon lables on desktop. Should get rid of the box.

--
wahlroot

Hi Jeff423,

Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, Advanced tab, Settings button
in Performance section, under Visual Effects tab scroll down and click in
the checkbox beside "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" to
check it, then Apply then OK and OK again.

Right-click a blank area of the Desktop, then select Arrange Icons by and
click to uncheck "Lock Web Items on Desktop".

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"" <Jeff423@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Today my desktop icons developed backgrounds behind the words. For
example
> "My Documents" instead of just being words on the screen is now in a
> rectangular box. The color of the text box can be changed by changing the
> desktop themes but I can't turn it off.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

It worked, thanks!

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Jeff423,
>
> Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, Advanced tab, Settings button
> in Performance section, under Visual Effects tab scroll down and click in
> the checkbox beside "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" to
> check it, then Apply then OK and OK again.
>
> Right-click a blank area of the Desktop, then select Arrange Icons by and
> click to uncheck "Lock Web Items on Desktop".
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "" <Jeff423@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Today my desktop icons developed backgrounds behind the words. For
> example
> > "My Documents" instead of just being words on the screen is now in a
> > rectangular box. The color of the text box can be changed by changing the
> > desktop themes but I can't turn it off.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jeff

You're welcome! :)