I recently added a new hard SATA hard drive to my PC and after much
hassle managed to eventually install XP Home on the PC and get the
machine to boot ok. However, something is strange about the system
after the rebuild.

All of my previously saved EXE files now are identified as DOS programs
and wont run if I double click on them. I have checked the file
assiations in the registry and all looks OK - "%1" %*.

How can I convert these EXE programs back to being recognised as valid
windows programs? How does windows 'identify' these programs as
requiring DOS execution?

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

--
kc3

bar

And can you be more spoecific in any way whatever?

How was Windows installed? Upgrade, Clean, Dual Boot?

What are the .exe files? If they are applications such as Word, Acrobat
etc, then they will need to be reinstalled.

"kc3" wrote:

> I recently added a new hard SATA hard drive to my PC and after much
> hassle managed to eventually install XP Home on the PC and get the
> machine to boot ok. However, something is strange about the system
> after the rebuild.
>
> All of my previously saved EXE files now are identified as DOS programs
> and wont run if I double click on them. I have checked the file
> assiations in the registry and all looks OK - "%1" %*.
>
> How can I convert these EXE programs back to being recognised as valid
> windows programs? How does windows 'identify' these programs as
> requiring DOS execution?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA
>

> --
> kc3

Thanks for the reply. In the end I decided to blow away all of my old
exe's and re-download most of them and accept the loss of the rest :-(

I did a compete new reinstall of windows XP. Repartitioned disk, insert
CD etc.

In hindsight I believe that I corrupted the files when I copied them
from one disk to the other - not sure how but perhaps my previous
install of XP SP1 had difficulties with the large disk - couldn't find
any way to check that out though - and having wasted 2 days of my life
on trying to recover the files decided to get the computer back to work
again and start the downloading/recovery process.

Unfortunately the time between your post and my intial post means that
I'll have problems recreating any issues. The exe files I'm talking
about were the self extracting exe files of other programs I'd
downloading ie things like TreeSizeSetup.exe would produce an error of
'Program too big to fit in memory'.

I had been hoping that there would be a quick response of just tweak
this and all will be alright - obviously that was not the case.

--
kc3