Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Trouble deleting Old Profiel Folders from Documents and se..

Tags:
  • Support
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
March 22, 2005 11:31:02 PM

In the documents and settings there are a few old User profiles that are
taking up space. when i try to delete them this message comes up:
cannot delete NTUSER.DAT is being used by another person or program.

If anyone can help me figure out away to delete these old profile folders,
please do.

Thanks so much

More about : trouble deleting profiel folders documents

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:06:05 PM

LBS,

You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the documents and settings there are a few old User profiles that are
> taking up space. when i try to delete them this message comes up:
> cannot delete NTUSER.DAT is being used by another person or program.
>
> If anyone can help me figure out away to delete these old profile folders,
> please do.
>
> Thanks so much
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:06:06 PM

Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> LBS,
>
> You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the documents and settings there are a few old User profiles that are
> > taking up space. when i try to delete them this message comes up:
> > cannot delete NTUSER.DAT is being used by another person or program.
> >
> > If anyone can help me figure out away to delete these old profile folders,
> > please do.
> >
> > Thanks so much

March 23, 2005 1:26:45 PM

Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
Click Advanced tab
Under "User profiles", click Settings button
Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.

--

> Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> LBS,
>>
>> You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In the documents and settings there are a few old User profiles that
>> > are
>> > taking up space. when i try to delete them this message comes up:
>> > cannot delete NTUSER.DAT is being used by another person or program.
>> >
>> > If anyone can help me figure out away to delete these old profile
>> > folders,
>> > please do.
>> >
>> > Thanks so much

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:26:46 PM

when i type that in it says it cannot find that. Any other ideas? Thanks.
"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
> Click Advanced tab
> Under "User profiles", click Settings button
> Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> LBS,
> >>
> >> You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:26:46 PM

I figured out where u wanted me to go. And it says unknown account for the
ones i wanna delete. And it won't give me the option of deleting them, the
button stays unclickable. Any other ideas? Thanks.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
> Click Advanced tab
> Under "User profiles", click Settings button
> Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> LBS,
> >>
> >> You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

March 23, 2005 1:26:47 PM

He meant: sysdm.cpl

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> when i type that in it says it cannot find that. Any other ideas? Thanks.
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
>> Click Advanced tab
>> Under "User profiles", click Settings button
>> Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:39:29 PM

Are you trying that procedure from built-in Administrator account? Apart
from that, check the folder permissions.

--

news:D C8991D9-2DAB-4CFA-9F42-79E6FAC2548A@microsoft.com...
>I figured out where u wanted me to go. And it says unknown account for the
> ones i wanna delete. And it won't give me the option of deleting them,
> the
> button stays unclickable. Any other ideas? Thanks.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
>> Click Advanced tab
>> Under "User profiles", click Settings button
>> Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:11:02 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Has anyone come up with any other leads
or ideas to fix this?