Trouble deleting Old Profiel Folders from Documents and se..

In the documents and settings there are a few old User profiles that are
taking up space. when i try to delete them this message comes up:
cannot delete NTUSER.DAT is being used by another person or program.

If anyone can help me figure out away to delete these old profile folders,
please do.

Thanks so much
8 answers Last reply
More about trouble deleting profiel folders documents

    LBS,

    You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In the documents and settings there are a few old User profiles that are
    > taking up space. when i try to delete them this message comes up:
    > cannot delete NTUSER.DAT is being used by another person or program.
    >
    > If anyone can help me figure out away to delete these old profile folders,
    > please do.
    >
    > Thanks so much

    Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > LBS,
    >
    > You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In the documents and settings there are a few old User profiles that are
    > > taking up space. when i try to delete them this message comes up:
    > > cannot delete NTUSER.DAT is being used by another person or program.
    > >
    > > If anyone can help me figure out away to delete these old profile folders,
    > > please do.
    > >
    > > Thanks so much

    Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
    Click Advanced tab
    Under "User profiles", click Settings button
    Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.

    --

    > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> LBS,
    >>
    >> You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > In the documents and settings there are a few old User profiles that
    >> > are
    >> > taking up space. when i try to delete them this message comes up:
    >> > cannot delete NTUSER.DAT is being used by another person or program.
    >> >
    >> > If anyone can help me figure out away to delete these old profile
    >> > folders,
    >> > please do.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks so much

    when i type that in it says it cannot find that. Any other ideas? Thanks.
    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
    > Click Advanced tab
    > Under "User profiles", click Settings button
    > Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> LBS,
    > >>
    > >> You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I figured out where u wanted me to go. And it says unknown account for the
    ones i wanna delete. And it won't give me the option of deleting them, the
    button stays unclickable. Any other ideas? Thanks.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
    > Click Advanced tab
    > Under "User profiles", click Settings button
    > Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> LBS,
    > >>
    > >> You delete the user account via Control Panel, User Accounts applet.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    He meant: sysdm.cpl

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > when i type that in it says it cannot find that. Any other ideas? Thanks.
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
    >> Click Advanced tab
    >> Under "User profiles", click Settings button
    >> Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.

    Are you trying that procedure from built-in Administrator account? Apart
    from that, check the folder permissions.

    --

    >I figured out where u wanted me to go. And it says unknown account for the
    > ones i wanna delete. And it won't give me the option of deleting them,
    > the
    > button stays unclickable. Any other ideas? Thanks.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Click Start/Run and type SYMDM.CPL
    >> Click Advanced tab
    >> Under "User profiles", click Settings button
    >> Delete the corresponding entry in the resulting dialog.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "LBS" <LBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thats what i did in the first place, but those files remained.

    I am having the exact same problem. Has anyone come up with any other leads
    or ideas to fix this?

Support Microsoft Windows XP