Sign in with
Your question

Bitlocker Windows 7 Ultimate - Unable to boot laptop - lost key

Last response: in Windows 7
June 19, 2010 5:44:58 AM

Hello,

I have windows 7 ultimate and for what ever reason when starting my laptop (HP DV62114tx) Im being requested to enter in the bitlocker key.
Now here is the issue, the bitlocker key is on the desktop. (silly me)

Im wanting to know if there is any way to either retrieve the key or is there an over ride code for bitlocker so I can log in to my laptop.

I think moving forward, I will not use Bitlocker or look for an alternate solution, that is once I get the Laptop running again.

Assistance would be much appreciated...

Cheers Jo
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 19, 2010 6:42:51 AM

You're screwed. Next time save the key somewhere that's a bit more accessible in case something like this happens.

Personally, I encrypt sensitive data with TrueCrypt rather than BitLocker.
m
l
June 19, 2010 7:17:56 AM

Thanks for your reply, Yes I pretty much am aware of that....

But it would be helpful if I knew where to go from here,
has Microsoft got a solution for this?
Do i remove the drive and replace it and reload windows 7 Ultimate?
Can I retrieve data by removing it and putting it in a external case?

This has not happened to me before, so Im feeling a little blind on the matter...I have searched for 2 days now for a resolution...

Any ideas?

Regards Jo
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 19, 2010 9:00:28 AM

I'll answer 2 questions with:

You can replace the drive if you want, but since the data on your existing drive will be irretrievable as it is currently encrypted, you might as well wipe it out anyway when you reinstall Windows.

...And the first question with this rather blunt response:

Microsoft does have a solution for this. It's called not saving the sole copy your BitLocker key to your desktop on the drive that's being encrypted.
m
l
June 19, 2010 5:39:48 PM

Yes it's hard to hear but if Microsoft were to have a solution for your problem it would defeat the purpose of Bitlocker as anything protected by it could easily be unprotected.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 19, 2010 6:20:59 PM

PsyKhiqZero said:
Yes it's hard to hear but if Microsoft were to have a solution for your problem it would defeat the purpose of Bitlocker as anything protected by it could easily be unprotected.

Exactly. If a failsafe is put in place for encryption, it opens up a way to to be exploited.
m
l
June 19, 2010 10:00:44 PM

Thanks for your feedback...

I'll need to get the windows 7 disc off HP to be able to rebuild, as the software came with the laptop. Bummer! that's anther issue in itself.

I do however have back ups on my network drive, so all is not lost. I thought I had the key stored on my external portable drive but realised it was on the desktop as i only did it last week.

Oh well what's done is done! and it is what it is. Just have to play the waiting game now.

Just lucky I have work laptop for the mean time.....

Thanks Again

Jo

:) 
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 19, 2010 10:09:42 PM

Ahh... glad to hear you have some stuff backed up elsewhere. Good luck!
m
l
June 20, 2010 3:04:17 AM

Actually Passware says they can recover Bitlocker keys, I have had great success with it for Quickbooks, Word and others. It is a little pricey but worth it.

m
l
June 21, 2010 6:00:04 AM

Thanks I have read the web page and it appears not to pertain to Bitlocker.

I have ended up calling HP and having to pay a 3rd party supplier for a disc to rebuild...

Cross your fingers that it will allow me to rebuild.....

Jo :) 
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2010 6:56:42 AM

jojojojo said:
Thanks I have read the web page and it appears not to pertain to Bitlocker.

I have ended up calling HP and having to pay a 3rd party supplier for a disc to rebuild...

Cross your fingers that it will allow me to rebuild.....

Jo :) 

[#0005ff]If you can get your hands on a Linux LiveCD - some magazine covers have them taped on or you could download and burn your own - you might find that Operating System is far less bothered about Windows based defences and may allow you to copy your data out to flash drives. If that happens, you could run a factory default reset and start afresh. This certainly works where Windows paswords have been set or something like Norton has run amok but I haven't tried it in Bitlocker so it's just a suggestion. PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com is a nice one. [/#000ff]
m
l
October 10, 2012 5:54:06 AM

Case : Hard disk has a critical logical error, I have lost my bit locker key but remember the password, am I able to recover my data because hard disk is not detecting and service engineer has gave up kindly help me. sandeep.sharma059@gmail.com (Please put some effort to write me with ur knowledge)
m
l
October 10, 2012 6:00:57 AM

Case : Hard disk has a critical logical error, I have lost my bit locker key but remember the password, am I able to recover my data because hard disk is not detecting and service engineer has gave up kindly help me. Please write me on sandeep.sharma059@gmail.com please put some effort to deliver your expert knowledge I will appreciate from bottom of my heart.
Regards,
Sandeep
m
l
!