Help with identifying drive format

Can someone please give me information on the following -

I am using a Sony VAIO notebook computer (Model PCG-GR214MP) with XP Pro
(SP2) o/s. I BELIEVE (but do not know for sure) that my drive is formatted
as FAT32 - this is because I tried to run Norton Disk Doctor some months ago
and it said that it could not verify a non-NTFS formatted drive. Hence my
belief that the drive is FAT32. Is there somewhere under 'System
Information' that would provide a definite answer? - I have looked but
cannot find anything.

Also, Sony divides the 20GB hard drive into two drives 'C' which is 9.98GB
and 'D' which is 8.61GB. Can I safely assume that both would be formatted
the same, i.e. FAT32?

I have been trying to network my XP Pro notebook with an iMac running OS X
(10.3.8) via an Ethernet crossover cable but it does not work. When I
checked various Windows KB articles they all seem to refer to NTFS file
system permissions - see
I am thinking that my problem MAY lie in the fact that my drive is not NTFS
formatted.

If anyone can think of another reason why the computers don't see each other
I would be very grateful.

Tricia

Patricia

A link to a FREE program that will give you this info and a whole lot more
too..

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Patricia Henwood" wrote:
> (snip) I am using a Sony VAIO notebook computer
> (Model PCG-GR214MP) with XP Pro (SP2) o/s. I
> BELIEVE (but do not know for sure) that my drive
> is formatted as FAT32 (snip) Is there somewhere
> under 'System Information' that would provide a
> definite answer? - I have looked but cannot find
> anything. (snip)

Have you tried right-clicking on the icon for your hard drive and
selecting "properties?" Perhaps XP Pro is different in this regard, but the
file system used on a drive is clearly reported in XP Home (the second item
on the first tab).

> Also, Sony divides the 20GB hard drive into two
> drives 'C' which is 9.98GB and 'D' which is
> 8.61GB. Can I safely assume that both would be
> formatted the same, i.e. FAT32?

No. It is possible to have two different file systems on different
partitions of the same drive.

> I have been trying to network my XP Pro notebook
> with an iMac running OS X (10.3.8) via an Ethernet
> crossover cable but it does not work. (snip)
> I am thinking that my problem MAY lie in the fact
> that my drive is not NTFS formatted.

Your best bet would be to ask in one of the Mac newsgroups, Tricia. What
you're seeking can be done, but the process is certainly not commonplace for
most PC users. In the past (pre-OS X), one needed special software to make
the Mac networking system then (AppleTalk) compatible with Windows
Networking. That may have changed with OS X, but only another Mac user who
has done what you're seeking would really be able to guide you reliably.
Whatever the case, I seriously doubt your problem has anything to do with
the drive's file system.

Stewart

Mike,

Thank you so much - everyone should know about this product! It's really
excellent.

BTW I've discovered that my drives are indeed FAT32 formatted. I have read
that XP prefers NTFS formatted drives. I have also read the KB article
156560 'Free Space Required to Convert FAT to NTFS' but I only have
approximately 1GB of free space available on my 9.98GB C drive and my mind
'boggled' when I read through the computation that Convert.exe uses to
determine how much free space is required before starting the conversion.

All of this arises because, as I mentioned before, I'm having no luck
trying to connect my XP Pro notebook and my iMac OS X (10.3.8) via an
Ethernet Crossover cable. Should work. Won't work!

Tricia

| Patricia
|
| A link to a FREE program that will give you this info and a whole lot more
| too..
|
| http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
|

| --
| Mike Hall
| MVP - Windows Shell/user
|
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| "Patricia Henwood" <triciahenwood@123nospam.bigpond.com> wrote in message
| > Can someone please give me information on the following -
| >
| > I am using a Sony VAIO notebook computer (Model PCG-GR214MP) with XP Pro
| > (SP2) o/s. I BELIEVE (but do not know for sure) that my drive is
| > formatted
| > as FAT32 - this is because I tried to run Norton Disk Doctor some months
| > ago
| > and it said that it could not verify a non-NTFS formatted drive. Hence
my
| > belief that the drive is FAT32. Is there somewhere under 'System
| > Information' that would provide a definite answer? - I have looked but
| > cannot find anything.
| >
| > Also, Sony divides the 20GB hard drive into two drives 'C' which is
9.98GB
| > and 'D' which is 8.61GB. Can I safely assume that both would be
formatted
| > the same, i.e. FAT32?
| >
| > I have been trying to network my XP Pro notebook with an iMac running OS
| > (10.3.8) via an Ethernet crossover cable but it does not work. When I
| > checked various Windows KB articles they all seem to refer to NTFS file
| > system permissions - see
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
| > I am thinking that my problem MAY lie in the fact that my drive is not
| > NTFS
| > formatted.
| >
| > If anyone can think of another reason why the computers don't see each
| > other
| > I would be very grateful.
| >
| > Tricia

Patricia

You can increase free space.

Try Disk CleanUp to remove Temporary Internet Files and the System
Restore option in the More Option tab of Disk CleanUp.

You may be able to relocate folders / files to the second drive.

To move programmes use Add / Remove Programs in Start, Control Panel,
Add / Remove Programs to uninstall programmes. Create a Programs
Directory on your D drive and reinstall there.

Some other notes you may find useful.
Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move )
the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files
in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use
Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to
change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you
use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents,
click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options,
General and change default file path.

For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.

To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.

http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/files/store.htm

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry