Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Xp home premium to Win 7 upgrade dual boot questions

Last response: in Windows 7
August 26, 2009 2:42:18 AM

I have xp home OEM with win 7 home premium upgrade coming as soon as released. OK so here is my sticky question I want to set up a dual boot option with the 2 OS. Will I still be able to use my OEM xp home that I upgrade from on the same PC (not installing on another system) to do my dual boot system?

Anyone else going this way, or going to have the same issues. I understand not be able to use the OEM xp on another system, but on the same one dual booting I am hopeful that it will work.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2009 1:37:58 PM

A_Real_Overclocker said:
I have xp home OEM with win 7 home premium upgrade coming as soon as released. OK so here is my sticky question I want to set up a dual boot option with the 2 OS. Will I still be able to use my OEM xp home that I upgrade from on the same PC (not installing on another system) to do my dual boot system?

Anyone else going this way, or going to have the same issues. I understand not be able to use the OEM xp on another system, but on the same one dual booting I am hopeful that it will work.

Don't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure that the Upgrade version invalidates the license of the OS used to upgrade from. (Means you can't use the XP install on any computer, including the original.) A workaround, if you have the RC installer or install disk, is to install the RC on your second partition, and upgrade that. Unfortunately, if you don't, the RC isn't available to download any more.
August 26, 2009 5:28:33 PM

A_Real_Overclocker said:

I don't know if you realize this or not, but you can not actually upgrade directly from winXP to Win7, the only way you can actually do it is from vista to win7.

So unless you're planning to upgrade to vista then to win7, you'll need to do a clean reinstall.

If you're planning on dual booting then you should be able to do that easily enough however, just partition the hard drive and away you go. (though I'd suggest partitioning before installing win7, as it's harder to do form the install menu)
m
l
!