Invalid system disk

March 23, 2005 9:47:04 AM

Hey guys

My computer was working fine untill i failed to renew my Norton antivirus
subscription on time, it suddenly died in the arse and now when i turn it on
i get

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

There are no disks in any drives, i can access the BIOS and it is detecting
the hard drive, i have also set it 2 boot hardrive first.
Im assuming i am the victim of a boot sector virus is there anyway i can get
windows XP 2 start again from DOS or can anyone recommend a good data
recovery program that is easy 2 use

i have created a DOS boot disk that works, but unfortunatly i have just
moved from australia to the united states so have no XP disks or anything
else,

cant help but feel Norton has screwed me over because i didnt renew on time,
damn the man,

any help would be awesome

More about : invalid system disk

March 23, 2005 10:55:03 AM

Try one of several procedures before doing anything drastic if possible.
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
you can go back up to 90 days. If no luck, go here.

Start>Run>type SFC /scannow (space between C and /) and click OK
Have your XP CD handy for it may ask you to insert it. the SFC execution
means System File Checker, it will check your files for corrupt and/or missing
system files and replace them. If still nothing, try a repair install as
the last action before a complete reinstall. Your WindowsXP disk is a
bootable disk.
Good luck. :~)

How to Perform a Repair Install with Windows XP

"Dave" wrote:

> Hey guys
>
> My computer was working fine untill i failed to renew my Norton antivirus
> subscription on time, it suddenly died in the arse and now when i turn it on
> i get
>
> Invalid system disk
> Replace the disk, and then press any key
>
> There are no disks in any drives, i can access the BIOS and it is detecting
> the hard drive, i have also set it 2 boot hardrive first.
> Im assuming i am the victim of a boot sector virus is there anyway i can get
> windows XP 2 start again from DOS or can anyone recommend a good data
> recovery program that is easy 2 use
>
> i have created a DOS boot disk that works, but unfortunatly i have just
> moved from australia to the united states so have no XP disks or anything
> else,
>
> cant help but feel Norton has screwed me over because i didnt renew on time,
> damn the man,
>
> any help would be awesome
March 23, 2005 12:37:01 PM

Thanks for the advice mate but i cant actually access windows at all so not
sure how i can get to the start menu, is there some way i can access that
from dos????

!