Space Invaders Deluxe garbled graphics.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Well, I replaced the power connector today and still no change. The game
plays, sort of, but the graphics are garbled and distort. Dark lines cross
the game after a few minutes of playing.

I checked and reseated the game roms. Thought that the power connector was
flaky, so I replaced that. NO change.

Someone suggested replacing the electro caps beside the daughter board and
main board connector. Anyone know EXACTLY which types these are? I tested
mine and they seem ok.

Any other suggestions?

This is getting frustrating.

Thanks.

--
Later.

D.E.

Have a better one.

To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

A friend of mine cleaned the edge connector where the two board halves
connect together and that fixed his.

Mark Hooks

".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message
> Well, I replaced the power connector today and still no change. The game
> plays, sort of, but the graphics are garbled and distort. Dark lines cross
> the game after a few minutes of playing.
>
> I checked and reseated the game roms. Thought that the power connector was
> flaky, so I replaced that. NO change.
>
> Someone suggested replacing the electro caps beside the daughter board and
> main board connector. Anyone know EXACTLY which types these are? I tested
> mine and they seem ok.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> This is getting frustrating.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Later.
>
> D.E.
>
> Have a better one.
>
> To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Please don't crosspost any follow-ups to rec.games.video.classic It's off-
topic there. Thanks!

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Tried that. Didn't make a change.

--

"Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>A friend of mine cleaned the edge connector where the two board halves
>connect together and that fixed his.
>
> Mark Hooks
>
> ".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message
>> Well, I replaced the power connector today and still no change. The game
>> plays, sort of, but the graphics are garbled and distort. Dark lines
>> cross the game after a few minutes of playing.
>>
>> I checked and reseated the game roms. Thought that the power connector
>> was flaky, so I replaced that. NO change.
>>
>> Someone suggested replacing the electro caps beside the daughter board
>> and main board connector. Anyone know EXACTLY which types these are? I
>> tested mine and they seem ok.
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>>
>> This is getting frustrating.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Later.
>>
>> D.E.
>>
>> Have a better one.
>>
>> To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

If all else fails it's likely a bad RAM.

Mark
> Tried that. Didn't make a change.
>
> --
> Later.
>
> D.E.
>
> Have a better one.
>
> To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.
> "Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>A friend of mine cleaned the edge connector where the two board halves
>>connect together and that fixed his.
>>
>> Mark Hooks
>>
>> ".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, I replaced the power connector today and still no change. The game
>>> plays, sort of, but the graphics are garbled and distort. Dark lines
>>> cross the game after a few minutes of playing.
>>>
>>> I checked and reseated the game roms. Thought that the power connector
>>> was flaky, so I replaced that. NO change.
>>>
>>> Someone suggested replacing the electro caps beside the daughter board
>>> and main board connector. Anyone know EXACTLY which types these are? I
>>> tested mine and they seem ok.
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions?
>>>
>>> This is getting frustrating.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Later.
>>>
>>> D.E.
>>>
>>> Have a better one.
>>>
>>> To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

I have a Space Invaders i'm trying to get going also.

No picture at all. I was told it was a bad flyback transformer. I
replaced the monitor with a working one. When I turned the machine
on, the monitor came on but the display was mostly snow. Maybe some
very badly displayed graphics, I couldn't even tell if the gameboard
that displayed what I saw it was so distorted, if not just snow. The
snow I saw did not look like a tv picture with lost reception.

I can hear the sound effects on the board.

I left it alone for a month, and have not been able to even get power
again. I cleaned the edge connector, and the machine won't get power.
Not sure if it had anything to do with cleaning the board or not, but
I doubt it.

Someone told me there is a coin-door area switch that could turn off
the power, but i'm unable to locate it. I just see the backdoor
switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:54:16 GMT, ".D.E."
<pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote:

>Well, I replaced the power connector today and still no change. The game
>plays, sort of, but the graphics are garbled and distort. Dark lines cross
>the game after a few minutes of playing.
>
>I checked and reseated the game roms. Thought that the power connector was
>flaky, so I replaced that. NO change.
>
>Someone suggested replacing the electro caps beside the daughter board and
>main board connector. Anyone know EXACTLY which types these are? I tested
>mine and they seem ok.
>
>Any other suggestions?
>
>This is getting frustrating.
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Later.
>
>D.E.
>
>Have a better one.
>
>To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Any way to test the board for bad ram? The slam switch in the coin door,
stops the game. I switched the dip switch #8 to on and rebooted it. The
system stays in scrambled mode until I flip the dip switch back and reset
the slam switch.

Here's some pics of the garbled graphics:

http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070019.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070020.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070021.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070022.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070023.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070024.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070025.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070026.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3070027.JPG

The power supply is working ok, proper voltages so I don't think that the
caps are bad on the boards. Someone said that these can dry out.

Any suggestions for the monitor? Any way to check that?

Thanks.

--

> If all else fails it's likely a bad RAM.
>
> Mark
> ".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message
>> Tried that. Didn't make a change.
>>
>> --
>> Later.
>>
>> D.E.
>>
>> Have a better one.
>>
>> To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.
>> "Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>A friend of mine cleaned the edge connector where the two board halves
>>>connect together and that fixed his.
>>>
>>> Mark Hooks
>>>
>>> ".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

I would suggest glancing over the first 15 pages of this document.
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/midway/midway_8080_test.pdf

Get yourself some 2101 rams. If you do the "vertical line test" as
described in this document - you can sometimes piggyback a new ram over the
suspected bad ram and see if that makes the problem go away. If it does,
just replace the bad ram.

If your board is strapped for tms2716 roms, you could also try the test rom,
which you can download here.
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/tech/space_invaders_test_rom.zip

By the way, just because you are seeing symptoms of a bad ram, it doesn't
necessary mean there's a bad ram. Sometimes certain chip select lines might
not be working. You might want to buy a cheap logic probe and test those as
well. I believe it's pin 17 on the ram chips.

Matt

"Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> If all else fails it's likely a bad RAM.
>
> Mark
> ".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message
> > Tried that. Didn't make a change.
> >
> > --
> > Later.
> >
> > D.E.
> >
> > Have a better one.
> >
> > To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.
> > "Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >>A friend of mine cleaned the edge connector where the two board halves
> >>connect together and that fixed his.
> >>
> >> Mark Hooks
> >>
> >> ".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

> Get yourself some 2101 rams.

Um, no. You want 2107s - the 2101 is not an equivalent to a
2107. There are 16 of them, and each has 22 pins.

Anyhow, I don't believe the dark lines he referred to are
related to the potential RAM problems.

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Ok, pulled H ROM off the board. Booted it up. Got the 16 vertical lines:
Adjusted a couple of pots under the monitor to clear up the image:
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3140028.JPG
You can see the darker area that moved across the screen.
Pulled G ROM: http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3140029.JPG
It also has the dark lines that go thru it. I closed the slam switch on the
door:
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3140030.JPG
Lines moved and sort of cleared up a little,
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3140031.JPG
Seems to have almost a ghosting between the lines. Again you can see the
dark area in the center that slowly goes from right to left. And finally:
http://members.shaw.ca/scaredstiff/pics/P3140032.JPG
will all the roms removed.

Reseated the roms, checked that they are properly seated. Wouldn't boot.
Adjusted the main connector on the board, it boots, but we're back at square
one again.
You can play the game, sound works fine, but as soon as you start clearing
the screen, it becomes worse, garbled graphics where finally in the end, you
can't see anything.

I don't have any ram chips kicking around. It maybe a little hard to find
them now.

I'm in the ball park I think, but nothing I've tried works. Shorting out the
ram next on pin #7?

Any other suggestions?

--

"Matt Rossiter" <rossiter@ni.net> wrote in message
>I would suggest glancing over the first 15 pages of this document.
> http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/midway/midway_8080_test.pdf
>
> Get yourself some 2101 rams. If you do the "vertical line test" as
> described in this document - you can sometimes piggyback a new ram over
> the
> suspected bad ram and see if that makes the problem go away. If it does,
> just replace the bad ram.
>
> If your board is strapped for tms2716 roms, you could also try the test
> rom,
> which you can download here.
> http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/tech/space_invaders_test_rom.zip
>
> By the way, just because you are seeing symptoms of a bad ram, it doesn't
> necessary mean there's a bad ram. Sometimes certain chip select lines
> might
> not be working. You might want to buy a cheap logic probe and test those
> as
> well. I believe it's pin 17 on the ram chips.
>
> Matt
>

> "Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> If all else fails it's likely a bad RAM.
>>
>> Mark
>> ".D.E." <pinballguy6@hotmailforgetthespam.com> wrote in message
>> > Tried that. Didn't make a change.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Later.
>> >
>> > D.E.
>> >
>> > Have a better one.
>> >
>> > To reply, simply remove:forgetthespam.
>> > "Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> game

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Yep.... Send it off to Alex for repairs and you'd have it back by
now.He does an excellent job.

John

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

> I closed the slam switch on the door:

What does this look like exactly? Someone mentioned to check the
switch on my coin door & that may have something to do with why it
doesn't power on, but I couldn't locate a switch there.

I think the "Slam switch" is basically just two leaf-switches on the
door for coining up. When you say close, just you mean just let it
close for a second while the leafs touch?

Pardon my inexperience.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

The slam switch is a little leaf spring switch on the lower left hand of the
door when it's open. Mine has a dime sized weight on the bottom. It is used
to prevent people from beating on the game to get credits. The way it works
is that it's open all the time and if they bash on the machine, it
momentarily closes a circuit resetting the game. Look for it in the lower
left hand corner of your coin door.
If you close the switch, then it resets everything. try flicking it a few
times and see what happens.

--

"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> I closed the slam switch on the door:
>

> What does this look like exactly? Someone mentioned to check the
> switch on my coin door & that may have something to do with why it
> doesn't power on, but I couldn't locate a switch there.
>
> I think the "Slam switch" is basically just two leaf-switches on the
> door for coining up. When you say close, just you mean just let it
> close for a second while the leafs touch?
>
> Pardon my inexperience.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

So that's it eh? Gotta get the board looked at.

Any one have any suggestions for shipping boards across the boarder? I live
in Canada.

--

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yep.... Send it off to Alex for repairs and you'd have it back by
> now.He does an excellent job.
>
> John

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Thanks,

I'll try that.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:27:08 GMT, ".D.E."