what else?

I have two PC's, both with a network adapter.
I have an ethernet cable.
do I need anything else to connect the two pc's together?
do I need anything else to share the internet connection?

tried the connection wizard, but that doesn't seem to do
anything.

You're going to have to get a hub or switch or router to connect both PCs to
each other and to the internet.

I'd recommend a router as it also acts as a hardware firewall and means you
can share files and folders on the PCs in their workgroup but no one from
the outside world gets in.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

<number1dad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have two PC's, both with a network adapter.
> I have an ethernet cable.
> do I need anything else to connect the two pc's together?
> do I need anything else to share the internet connection?
>
> tried the connection wizard, but that doesn't seem to do
> anything.

Look at the advice at this web site: www.practicallynetworked.com

especially this starting point: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

HTH

<number1dad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have two PC's, both with a network adapter.
> I have an ethernet cable.
> do I need anything else to connect the two pc's together?
> do I need anything else to share the internet connection?
>
> tried the connection wizard, but that doesn't seem to do
> anything.

If you are not using a HUB, SWITCH, or ROUTER, you will need a Crossover
Ethernet cable. A straight through will not work.

Pick up a HUB or SWITCH...

Good Luck,

Randy

"Kerry Liles" <me@completely.invalid> wrote in message
> Look at the advice at this web site: www.practicallynetworked.com
>
> especially this starting point:
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
>
> HTH
>

> <number1dad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have two PC's, both with a network adapter.
>> I have an ethernet cable.
>> do I need anything else to connect the two pc's together?
>> do I need anything else to share the internet connection?
>>
>> tried the connection wizard, but that doesn't seem to do
>> anything.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Not a very good answers. If you don't understand networking, bad
answers make it more confusing. The question has two parts:
do I need anything else to connect the two pc's together?
With what you have you can not make a network. If you replace the
straight through ethernet cable you have with a crossover ethernet
cable you can network the two computers together but you are still not
connected to the internet.
do I need anything else to share the internet connection?
One of the computers have to be connected to the internet with a modem
connected to a dial up account or another network adapter connected to
a broadband modem.

For a more secure network use a router connected to the broadband modem
and both PC's connected to the router.