Missing Icons for my user but not for others...

HI, my XP Home has suddenly lost some icons. These were on the Quick Launch
bar (all), Start Menu (some). I had a similar problem a year or so ago, and
managed to get all the missing Icons back by selecting an Icon in the
properties. This time however, the Icons of some of the entities cannot be
repaired this way. In particular "Show Desktop" (quick launch), "Internet"
and "Email" (first page of the Start Menu), "New/Open Office Document"
(after clicking All Programs) and "Command Prompt" (accessories). These are
the ones I noticed at least. I am an admin on the machine...if I switch
users to another account (non-admin), all of those entries show the correct
Icons.

Got any thoughts?

Rob
2 answers Last reply
More about missing icons user others

    How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q190355&ID=KB;EN-US;q190355

    Create a shortcut to CMD, and drop it on start.

    Rightclick the start button, Properties, and see the checkboxes to show the internet and email icons
    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Rob Beardsworth [MSFT]" <rob_beardsworth@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ePqsIR9LFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl...
    > HI, my XP Home has suddenly lost some icons. These were on the Quick Launch
    > bar (all), Start Menu (some). I had a similar problem a year or so ago, and
    > managed to get all the missing Icons back by selecting an Icon in the
    > properties. This time however, the Icons of some of the entities cannot be
    > repaired this way. In particular "Show Desktop" (quick launch), "Internet"
    > and "Email" (first page of the Start Menu), "New/Open Office Document"
    > (after clicking All Programs) and "Command Prompt" (accessories). These are
    > the ones I noticed at least. I am an admin on the machine...if I switch
    > users to another account (non-admin), all of those entries show the correct
    > Icons.
    >
    > Got any thoughts?
    >
    > Rob

    Icons Randomly Change to Different Icons:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q132668/

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Rob Beardsworth [MSFT]" <rob_beardsworth@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:ePqsIR9LFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl...
    > HI, my XP Home has suddenly lost some icons. These were on the Quick
    > Launch
    > bar (all), Start Menu (some). I had a similar problem a year or so ago,
    > and
    > managed to get all the missing Icons back by selecting an Icon in the
    > properties. This time however, the Icons of some of the entities cannot be
    > repaired this way. In particular "Show Desktop" (quick launch), "Internet"
    > and "Email" (first page of the Start Menu), "New/Open Office Document"
    > (after clicking All Programs) and "Command Prompt" (accessories). These
    > are
    > the ones I noticed at least. I am an admin on the machine...if I switch
    > users to another account (non-admin), all of those entries show the
    > correct
    > Icons.
    >
    > Got any thoughts?
    >
    > Rob

Start Menu Quick Launch Icons Windows XP