Bad picture quality with Netflix and HBO Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplej

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
With "The New iPad" WiFi only, Netflix never makes it up to 720p, I notice little boxes on the screen, and HBO Go is worse, sometimes even going to "Audio only" mode for a couple minutes. But, the Trailers app (movie trailers) and iTunes preview button for movies both always load in HD. Does anyone know if this is intentional with the apps? For what its worth my desktop can run netflix and hbo in HD just fine at the same time so it isn't my connection or the other company's servers being too busy.

Solution
The newest update for the IOS version of Netflix only added rentina support for menus and such. The content itself is only streamed in standard definition for the time being but adding HD video is something Netflix is planning to do. They have no set date for when they are going to add the ability to stream in HD at the moment though. I've never used HBO Go so I can't comment on that sorry.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
The newest update for the IOS version of Netflix only added rentina support for menus and such. The content itself is only streamed in standard definition for the time being but adding HD video is something Netflix is planning to do. They have no set date for when they are going to add the ability to stream in HD at the moment though. I've never used HBO Go so I can't comment on that sorry.

Solution

bloodtick

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

HBO Go on Wifi is already HD at 720P. Rumor of 1080P for the iPad3 on Wifi is expected to be available in October. On 3G/4G/LTE the video resolutions stays below real HD to conserve bandwidth on your data plan. HBO Go already does 1080P with 5.1 audio on Roku2 and Samsung devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.