Can I uninstall the "C" drive driver?

March 23, 2005 7:19:45 PM

I think I'm having troubles with my "C" drive. If I "uninstall" the
driver for it, will the drive be viewed as "new hardware" upon boot,
and the driver for it be installed?

Thanks,
Don

More about : uninstall drive driver

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:47:33 PM

Hi Don,

There is really no 'driver' per se for a hard drive. Why don't you explain
to us the problem
you're having and maybe we can assist you further.

Newtechie

"Don" <no@adr.com> wrote in message
>I think I'm having troubles with my "C" drive. If I "uninstall" the
> driver for it, will the drive be viewed as "new hardware" upon boot,
> and the driver for it be installed?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
March 23, 2005 8:47:34 PM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:47:33 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Hi Don,
>
>There is really no 'driver' per se for a hard drive. Why don't you explain
>to us the problem
>you're having and maybe we can assist you further.
>
>Newtechie
>
>"Don" <no@adr.com> wrote in message
>>I think I'm having troubles with my "C" drive. If I "uninstall" the
>> driver for it, will the drive be viewed as "new hardware" upon boot,
>> and the driver for it be installed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Don

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

For months now the performance of the system is extremely slow when it
involves significant I/O with the "C" drive. I can't even copy a 10
MB folder to the "D" drive without it taking forever. I run Norton,
Spybot, Adaware, Spy Sweeper, SpyBlaster, CWShredder, and nothing
finds anything that fixes the problem. Just copying 64 MB to a USB
jump drive takes over an hour. I'm running a Pentium 3.2 GZ on an HP
m390n. Using Windows XP Media Center 2004. I'm getting tired of
this, and as much as I hate to do it, am about to rebuild the system.

Sure could use some help.
Thanks, Don

March 23, 2005 9:48:59 PM

Don wrote:
> For months now the performance of the system is extremely slow when it
> involves significant I/O with the "C" drive. I can't even copy a 10
> MB folder to the "D" drive without it taking forever. I run Norton,
> Spybot, Adaware, Spy Sweeper, SpyBlaster, CWShredder, and nothing
> finds anything that fixes the problem. Just copying 64 MB to a USB
> jump drive takes over an hour. I'm running a Pentium 3.2 GZ on an HP
> m390n. Using Windows XP Media Center 2004. I'm getting tired of
> this, and as much as I hate to do it, am about to rebuild the system.
>
> Sure could use some help.
> Thanks, Don

What type of hard drive is it?
How many partitions is the physical drive split into?
How much free space on the C drive?
Last time you used "Disk Cleanup"? (and what you did?)
Last time you CHKDSK'd/DEFRAG'd the drive(s)?
What type of USB ports do you have? (1.1 or 2.0?)
You mentioned NORTON.. If, when you are copying, you disable it during the
act - does it speed up any?
Have you checked for chipset/controller driver updates?

--
<- Shenan ->
March 24, 2005 3:13:07 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:48:59 -0600, "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>Don wrote:
>> For months now the performance of the system is extremely slow when it
>> involves significant I/O with the "C" drive. I can't even copy a 10
>> MB folder to the "D" drive without it taking forever. I run Norton,
>> Spybot, Adaware, Spy Sweeper, SpyBlaster, CWShredder, and nothing
>> finds anything that fixes the problem. Just copying 64 MB to a USB
>> jump drive takes over an hour. I'm running a Pentium 3.2 GZ on an HP
>> m390n. Using Windows XP Media Center 2004. I'm getting tired of
>> this, and as much as I hate to do it, am about to rebuild the system.
>>
>> Sure could use some help.
>> Thanks, Don
>
>What type of hard drive is it?
>How many partitions is the physical drive split into?
>How much free space on the C drive?
>Last time you used "Disk Cleanup"? (and what you did?)
>Last time you CHKDSK'd/DEFRAG'd the drive(s)?
>What type of USB ports do you have? (1.1 or 2.0?)
>You mentioned NORTON.. If, when you are copying, you disable it during the
>act - does it speed up any?
>Have you checked for chipset/controller driver updates?
>
>--
><- Shenan ->
HI Shenan,

I've been through all the things you outlined above, but still no answer. I'm probably going to
have to re-install everything. I hate having to do that, what a job.

Thanks,
Don

March 24, 2005 5:44:48 AM

Don wrote:
> I've been through all the things you outlined above, but still no
> answer. I'm probably going to have to re-install everything. I hate
> having to do that, what a job.

I have a suggestion or two left in me..

I would suggest - since you are going to be redoing your system - using
Ghost or some other imaging software and another drive (external drive
maybe.. Network drive maybe..) to GHOST your entire system... then..

Before redoing things from scratch - get a disk diagnostics diskette/cd
image from the hard drive manufacturers web site and test it - then wipe it
(write zeros to it, low-level format - whatever options they give you to
obliterate it at a lower level than a format would) and apply the image to
your machine. It will overwrite (but in a very orderly way) everything
there - and perhaps resolve your issue.

Secondly - you are guaranteed a full backup (without worry of loss) of
everything on your system this way.

Something else to consider is customizing an installation CD/DVD before you
begin.
http://unattended.msfn.org is a great start to start with to do this. You
could make a Windows XP CD that installs with SP2 and all current patches,
not to mention you could add whatever applications you want to the CD to be
automatically installed - so you have less work to do in the future.

--
<- Shenan ->
March 24, 2005 1:10:29 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:44:48 -0600, "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>Don wrote:
>> For months now the performance of the system is extremely slow when
>> it involves significant I/O with the "C" drive. I can't even copy
>> a 10 MB folder to the "D" drive without it taking forever. I run
>> Norton, Spybot, Adaware, Spy Sweeper, SpyBlaster, CWShredder, and
>> nothing finds anything that fixes the problem. Just copying 64 MB
>> to a USB jump drive takes over an hour. I'm running a Pentium 3.2
>> GZ on an HP m390n. Using Windows XP Media Center 2004. I'm
>> getting tired of this, and as much as I hate to do it, am about to
>> rebuild the system.
>
>Shenan wrote:
>> What type of hard drive is it?
>> How many partitions is the physical drive split into?
>> How much free space on the C drive?
>> Last time you used "Disk Cleanup"? (and what you did?)
>> Last time you CHKDSK'd/DEFRAG'd the drive(s)?
>> What type of USB ports do you have? (1.1 or 2.0?)
>> You mentioned NORTON.. If, when you are copying, you disable it
>> during the act - does it speed up any?
>> Have you checked for chipset/controller driver updates?
>
>Don wrote:
>> I've been through all the things you outlined above, but still no
>> answer. I'm probably going to have to re-install everything. I hate
>> having to do that, what a job.
>
>I have a suggestion or two left in me..
>
>I would suggest - since you are going to be redoing your system - using
>Ghost or some other imaging software and another drive (external drive
>maybe.. Network drive maybe..) to GHOST your entire system... then..
>
>Before redoing things from scratch - get a disk diagnostics diskette/cd
>image from the hard drive manufacturers web site and test it - then wipe it
>(write zeros to it, low-level format - whatever options they give you to
>obliterate it at a lower level than a format would) and apply the image to
>your machine. It will overwrite (but in a very orderly way) everything
>there - and perhaps resolve your issue.
>
>Secondly - you are guaranteed a full backup (without worry of loss) of
>everything on your system this way.
>
>Something else to consider is customizing an installation CD/DVD before you
>begin.
>http://unattended.msfn.org is a great start to start with to do this. You
>could make a Windows XP CD that installs with SP2 and all current patches,
>not to mention you could add whatever applications you want to the CD to be
>automatically installed - so you have less work to do in the future.
>
>--
><- Shenan ->
You've got some really great ideas there Shenan.
However, I've just found "cleanmgr.exe" was consumming 100% of the CPU while I was trying to do
other things. I've read a bit on the internet that some people have found that file infected with a
virus that results in the same symptoms as I have. Do you know anything about that?

Don

March 24, 2005 2:45:47 PM

Don wrote:
> You've got some really great ideas there Shenan.
> However, I've just found "cleanmgr.exe" was consumming 100% of the
> CPU while I was trying to do other things. I've read a bit on the
> internet that some people have found that file infected with a virus
> that results in the same symptoms as I have. Do you know anything
> about that?

What I ran into that may help...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812248

and/or

(#48, right side - Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes-Undo)

--
<- Shenan ->