Can I uninstall the "C" drive driver?

I think I'm having troubles with my "C" drive. If I "uninstall" the
driver for it, will the drive be viewed as "new hardware" upon boot,
and the driver for it be installed?

Thanks,
Don

More about uninstall drive driver

    Hi Don,

    There is really no 'driver' per se for a hard drive. Why don't you explain
    to us the problem
    you're having and maybe we can assist you further.

    Newtechie

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:47:33 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi Don,
    >
    >There is really no 'driver' per se for a hard drive. Why don't you explain
    >to us the problem
    >you're having and maybe we can assist you further.
    >
    >Newtechie
    >
    >"Don" <no@adr.com> wrote in message
    >>I think I'm having troubles with my "C" drive. If I "uninstall" the
    >> driver for it, will the drive be viewed as "new hardware" upon boot,
    >> and the driver for it be installed?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Don

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    >> Newsgroups
    >> =----

    For months now the performance of the system is extremely slow when it
    involves significant I/O with the "C" drive. I can't even copy a 10
    MB folder to the "D" drive without it taking forever. I run Norton,
    Spybot, Adaware, Spy Sweeper, SpyBlaster, CWShredder, and nothing
    finds anything that fixes the problem. Just copying 64 MB to a USB
    jump drive takes over an hour. I'm running a Pentium 3.2 GZ on an HP
    m390n. Using Windows XP Media Center 2004. I'm getting tired of
    this, and as much as I hate to do it, am about to rebuild the system.

    Sure could use some help.
    Thanks, Don

    Don wrote:
    > For months now the performance of the system is extremely slow when it
    > involves significant I/O with the "C" drive. I can't even copy a 10
    > MB folder to the "D" drive without it taking forever. I run Norton,
    > Spybot, Adaware, Spy Sweeper, SpyBlaster, CWShredder, and nothing
    > finds anything that fixes the problem. Just copying 64 MB to a USB
    > jump drive takes over an hour. I'm running a Pentium 3.2 GZ on an HP
    > m390n. Using Windows XP Media Center 2004. I'm getting tired of
    > this, and as much as I hate to do it, am about to rebuild the system.
    >
    > Sure could use some help.
    > Thanks, Don

    What type of hard drive is it?
    How many partitions is the physical drive split into?
    How much free space on the C drive?
    Last time you used "Disk Cleanup"? (and what you did?)
    Last time you CHKDSK'd/DEFRAG'd the drive(s)?
    What type of USB ports do you have? (1.1 or 2.0?)
    You mentioned NORTON.. If, when you are copying, you disable it during the
    act - does it speed up any?
    Have you checked for chipset/controller driver updates?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:48:59 -0600, "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Don wrote:
    >> For months now the performance of the system is extremely slow when it
    >> involves significant I/O with the "C" drive. I can't even copy a 10
    >> MB folder to the "D" drive without it taking forever. I run Norton,
    >> Spybot, Adaware, Spy Sweeper, SpyBlaster, CWShredder, and nothing
    >> finds anything that fixes the problem. Just copying 64 MB to a USB
    >> jump drive takes over an hour. I'm running a Pentium 3.2 GZ on an HP
    >> m390n. Using Windows XP Media Center 2004. I'm getting tired of
    >> this, and as much as I hate to do it, am about to rebuild the system.
    >>
    >> Sure could use some help.
    >> Thanks, Don
    >
    >What type of hard drive is it?
    >How many partitions is the physical drive split into?
    >How much free space on the C drive?
    >Last time you used "Disk Cleanup"? (and what you did?)
    >Last time you CHKDSK'd/DEFRAG'd the drive(s)?
    >What type of USB ports do you have? (1.1 or 2.0?)
    >You mentioned NORTON.. If, when you are copying, you disable it during the
    >act - does it speed up any?
    >Have you checked for chipset/controller driver updates?
    >
    >--
    ><- Shenan ->
    HI Shenan,

    I've been through all the things you outlined above, but still no answer. I'm probably going to
    have to re-install everything. I hate having to do that, what a job.

    Thanks,
    Don

    Don wrote:
    > I've been through all the things you outlined above, but still no
    > answer. I'm probably going to have to re-install everything. I hate
    > having to do that, what a job.

    I have a suggestion or two left in me..

    I would suggest - since you are going to be redoing your system - using
    Ghost or some other imaging software and another drive (external drive
    maybe.. Network drive maybe..) to GHOST your entire system... then..

    Before redoing things from scratch - get a disk diagnostics diskette/cd
    image from the hard drive manufacturers web site and test it - then wipe it
    (write zeros to it, low-level format - whatever options they give you to
    obliterate it at a lower level than a format would) and apply the image to
    your machine. It will overwrite (but in a very orderly way) everything
    there - and perhaps resolve your issue.

    Secondly - you are guaranteed a full backup (without worry of loss) of
    everything on your system this way.

    Something else to consider is customizing an installation CD/DVD before you
    begin.
    http://unattended.msfn.org is a great start to start with to do this. You
    could make a Windows XP CD that installs with SP2 and all current patches,
    not to mention you could add whatever applications you want to the CD to be
    automatically installed - so you have less work to do in the future.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:44:48 -0600, "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Don wrote:
    >> For months now the performance of the system is extremely slow when
    >> it involves significant I/O with the "C" drive. I can't even copy
    >> a 10 MB folder to the "D" drive without it taking forever. I run
    >> Norton, Spybot, Adaware, Spy Sweeper, SpyBlaster, CWShredder, and
    >> nothing finds anything that fixes the problem. Just copying 64 MB
    >> to a USB jump drive takes over an hour. I'm running a Pentium 3.2
    >> GZ on an HP m390n. Using Windows XP Media Center 2004. I'm
    >> getting tired of this, and as much as I hate to do it, am about to
    >> rebuild the system.
    >
    >Shenan wrote:
    >> What type of hard drive is it?
    >> How many partitions is the physical drive split into?
    >> How much free space on the C drive?
    >> Last time you used "Disk Cleanup"? (and what you did?)
    >> Last time you CHKDSK'd/DEFRAG'd the drive(s)?
    >> What type of USB ports do you have? (1.1 or 2.0?)
    >> You mentioned NORTON.. If, when you are copying, you disable it
    >> during the act - does it speed up any?
    >> Have you checked for chipset/controller driver updates?
    >
    >Don wrote:
    >> I've been through all the things you outlined above, but still no
    >> answer. I'm probably going to have to re-install everything. I hate
    >> having to do that, what a job.
    >
    >I have a suggestion or two left in me..
    >
    >I would suggest - since you are going to be redoing your system - using
    >Ghost or some other imaging software and another drive (external drive
    >maybe.. Network drive maybe..) to GHOST your entire system... then..
    >
    >Before redoing things from scratch - get a disk diagnostics diskette/cd
    >image from the hard drive manufacturers web site and test it - then wipe it
    >(write zeros to it, low-level format - whatever options they give you to
    >obliterate it at a lower level than a format would) and apply the image to
    >your machine. It will overwrite (but in a very orderly way) everything
    >there - and perhaps resolve your issue.
    >
    >Secondly - you are guaranteed a full backup (without worry of loss) of
    >everything on your system this way.
    >
    >Something else to consider is customizing an installation CD/DVD before you
    >begin.
    >http://unattended.msfn.org is a great start to start with to do this. You
    >could make a Windows XP CD that installs with SP2 and all current patches,
    >not to mention you could add whatever applications you want to the CD to be
    >automatically installed - so you have less work to do in the future.
    >
    >--
    ><- Shenan ->
    You've got some really great ideas there Shenan.
    However, I've just found "cleanmgr.exe" was consumming 100% of the CPU while I was trying to do
    other things. I've read a bit on the internet that some people have found that file infected with a
    virus that results in the same symptoms as I have. Do you know anything about that?

    Don

    Don wrote:
    > You've got some really great ideas there Shenan.
    > However, I've just found "cleanmgr.exe" was consumming 100% of the
    > CPU while I was trying to do other things. I've read a bit on the
    > internet that some people have found that file infected with a virus
    > that results in the same symptoms as I have. Do you know anything
    > about that?

    What I ran into that may help...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812248

    and/or

    (#48, right side - Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes-Undo)

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Windows XP