P4 CPU problem or software?

johnf

My new PC has been running flawlessly for over 6 months, but has suddenly
developed two (apparently linked) faults.

(Intel P-4 2.8T with P4P800-E Deluxe MOBO)

IMMEDIATELY on powering up the PC, I get a female voice "System failed CPU
test". This repeats for about 2 minutes,then stops,& begins to boot, but
with the following screen -
Err 5: Error finding VFLOPPY.SYS
Err 8: Fake floppy not found
Press any key to boot to active partition

If I do that, I get NTLDR is missing
Press Ctry + Alt + Del to restart

It then will go back to the original (Err 5:) screen

If I reboot & use F8, it brings up list of drives -
1st. flopppy drive ..... through to 3-Maxtor 6y080M0 (which is my primary
SATA drive) which I selec t& it then boots fine.

Any ideas at all?

--
johnf

Contact the manufacturer of your new PC for support assistance.
Apparently, you have an impending hardware failure.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"johnf" wrote:

| My new PC has been running flawlessly for over 6 months, but has suddenly
| developed two (apparently linked) faults.
|
| (Intel P-4 2.8T with P4P800-E Deluxe MOBO)
|
| IMMEDIATELY on powering up the PC, I get a female voice "System failed CPU
| test". This repeats for about 2 minutes,then stops,& begins to boot, but
| with the following screen -
| Err 5: Error finding VFLOPPY.SYS
| Err 8: Fake floppy not found
| Press any key to boot to active partition
|
| If I do that, I get NTLDR is missing
| Press Ctry + Alt + Del to restart
|
| It then will go back to the original (Err 5:) screen
|
| If I reboot & use F8, it brings up list of drives -
| 1st. flopppy drive ..... through to 3-Maxtor 6y080M0 (which is my primary
| SATA drive) which I selec t& it then boots fine.
|
| Any ideas at all?
|

| --
| johnf

johnf

Thanks, Carey, unfortunately I bought all the bits (from the same place) and
built it myself from scratch - something I always wanted to do :)

Also, there's no Asus Distributor in Australia & the User Guide says for
this error 'contact Tech Support'.
What do you recommend? Forward the whole post to tmd1@asus.com?

--

johnf

> Contact the manufacturer of your new PC for support assistance.
> Apparently, you have an impending hardware failure.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "johnf" wrote:
>
>| My new PC has been running flawlessly for over 6 months, but has
>| suddenly developed two (apparently linked) faults.
>|
>| (Intel P-4 2.8T with P4P800-E Deluxe MOBO)
>|
>| IMMEDIATELY on powering up the PC, I get a female voice "System failed
>| CPU test". This repeats for about 2 minutes,then stops,& begins to
>| boot, but with the following screen -
>| Err 5: Error finding VFLOPPY.SYS
>| Err 8: Fake floppy not found
>| Press any key to boot to active partition
>|
>| If I do that, I get NTLDR is missing
>| Press Ctry + Alt + Del to restart
>|
>| It then will go back to the original (Err 5:) screen
>|
>| If I reboot & use F8, it brings up list of drives -
>| 1st. flopppy drive ..... through to 3-Maxtor 6y080M0 (which is my
>| primary SATA drive) which I selec t& it then boots fine.
>|
>| Any ideas at all?
>|

>| --
>| johnf

frodo

your motherboard is talking to you! try (CAREFULLY) removing the CPU
heatsink and then the CPU from the socket, carefully reinstall.

[if intel retail package w/ heatsink/fan, it probably will be stuck to the
cpu pretty darn good, don't pull on it too hard or you'll rip the cpu
right out of the socket insted of simply removing the HS! if this
appears to be the case then just gently ensure that the HS is making good
contact and leave will enough alone. make sure the fan actually runs
tho.]

Could be heat related, is cpu fan running? could be power related, is PS
good? doubel check all power connectors, as well as all other MB
connectors.

check that bios is most recent (bios updates also include cpu mircocode
updates), and try reseting CMOS and then carefully going thru all bios
options and validating. [OF COURSE YOU MAY NOT EVEN GET TO THE POINT
WHERE YOU CAN DO THIS. CMOS RESET YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THO.].

If conditions persist I'd investigate your Intel warrenty, sounds like the
cpu is in fact dieing.

Oh yeah, of course check the various ASUS forums (web and newsgroup) and
ask in there, they have lots of smart folks mulling about...