Internet Explorer Open in new window problem

This just began recently

Whenever I go to a link and I right click and select Open in New Window, the
new window opens up, but the original window closes. Is there some setting
that allows only so many internet explorer windows to be open? Is there
something that closes previous windows automatically?

Brian
1 answer Last reply
More about internet explorer open window problem

    Brian,

    The Reuse windows for launching shortcuts setting is used to determine
    whether a new or existing instance of Internet Explorer is used when
    exploring a Web site using one of the following methods:

    • Double-clicking an Internet shortcut (.url file) from within Windows
    Explorer.
    • Opening a URL by clicking Start, and then clicking Run.
    • Using a desktop toolbar, such as the Address or Links bar.

    When this setting is selected, an open instance of Internet Explorer is used
    to display any Web site loaded using the above methods. If the setting is
    cleared, then the above methods start a new instance of Internet Explorer.

    Open Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options. In the Advanced tab,
    uncheck the option "Reuse windows for launching Shortcuts."

    Description of the Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts Setting in Internet
    Explorer 5.01:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241911

    Other possibilities and solutions, read the note below - From Don Varnau,
    MVP:

    <quote>
    You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
    something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
    Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE) etc.

    You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
    uninstall the program.

    BHO Demon from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm may find the
    offending program/BHO.

    Or it could be caused by spyware/parasites. Work through the solutions
    (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
    page.

    Additional information at:
    The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

    </quote>

    Ref:
    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23GLKPaYhEHA.3864%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Brian Carpenter" <b_carpenter@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > This just began recently
    >
    > Whenever I go to a link and I right click and select Open in New Window,
    > the new window opens up, but the original window closes. Is there some
    > setting that allows only so many internet explorer windows to be open? Is
    > there something that closes previous windows automatically?
    >
    > Brian

Internet Explorer Support Microsoft Windows XP