D Drive: Please Insert A Disk Into Drive D

Hi!
I have Windows XP Home Ed. My cd-rom is Samsung SC-148C. I get the error
message " Please Insert A Disk Into Drive D" every time I insert a cd. I've
tried old and new cds. I still get the error. I've tried doing a system
restore. That didn't help at all. I've tried upgrading to Win SP2. I thought
that would fix it but it didn't. So I uninstalled SP2. I still get the same
error. I've enabled Network Sharing. I thought I disabled IDE Controllers and
my cd-rom. The IDE Controllers are greyed out. The CD-rom is not disabled or
greyed out.. I've tried searching the last several days on how to fix it but
found nothing. I've cleaned the cd-rom tray and disk with a soft cloth. This
started occurring several months ago but I have kinda used my cd-rom
frequently. I think it's a bad drive. My Drive is D. If I don't get it fixed
before then in the next couple of weeks I'm going to get a new optical drive
and my friend made me a copy of Win XP Pro so after I get my cd-rom working
again I'm gonna upgrade to XP Pro. Get a new mouse and then try SP2 again. I
can't wait to get my cd-rom going again. I miss it so much. I miss playing my
games and music. I haven't even been able to install my new games that my
best friend got me from Christmas until I get it fixed. I can't wait to try
my new game cds out. I was hoping I could get it fixed before then but I
doubt I can until the next 2 weeks. A couple other things that you need to
know: In Disk Management it says Disk 0 and CD-ROM 0 and in D Properties it
says Disk 0 and Cd-rom 0 and Used Space 0, Free Space 0 and Capacity 0 bytes.
I think I disabled Quota on the D Drive or either it doesn't have one but I'm
not sure. I don't see a Quota Tab or a Recording Tab. I am the Administrator.
Thank you for your time, patience and consideration! Thank you very much for
all who contribute to helping me get this answered if I can! Talk to ya'll
later! Have a great day/night! Bye! :)
5 answers Last reply
More about drive insert disk drive

    The AutoRun feature or the AutoPlay feature does not work when you insert a CD-ROM in the drive:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330135

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Shondeann" <Shondeann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AD9F9CD-FDCC-4DBD-940E-A9A9E0AF0076@microsoft.com...
    > Hi!
    > I have Windows XP Home Ed. My cd-rom is Samsung SC-148C. I get the error
    > message " Please Insert A Disk Into Drive D" every time I insert a cd. I've
    > tried old and new cds. I still get the error. I've tried doing a system
    > restore. That didn't help at all. I've tried upgrading to Win SP2. I thought
    > that would fix it but it didn't. So I uninstalled SP2. I still get the same
    > error. I've enabled Network Sharing. I thought I disabled IDE Controllers and
    > my cd-rom. The IDE Controllers are greyed out. The CD-rom is not disabled or
    > greyed out.. I've tried searching the last several days on how to fix it but
    > found nothing. I've cleaned the cd-rom tray and disk with a soft cloth. This
    > started occurring several months ago but I have kinda used my cd-rom
    > frequently. I think it's a bad drive. My Drive is D. If I don't get it fixed
    > before then in the next couple of weeks I'm going to get a new optical drive
    > and my friend made me a copy of Win XP Pro so after I get my cd-rom working
    > again I'm gonna upgrade to XP Pro. Get a new mouse and then try SP2 again. I
    > can't wait to get my cd-rom going again. I miss it so much. I miss playing my
    > games and music. I haven't even been able to install my new games that my
    > best friend got me from Christmas until I get it fixed. I can't wait to try
    > my new game cds out. I was hoping I could get it fixed before then but I
    > doubt I can until the next 2 weeks. A couple other things that you need to
    > know: In Disk Management it says Disk 0 and CD-ROM 0 and in D Properties it
    > says Disk 0 and Cd-rom 0 and Used Space 0, Free Space 0 and Capacity 0 bytes.
    > I think I disabled Quota on the D Drive or either it doesn't have one but I'm
    > not sure. I don't see a Quota Tab or a Recording Tab. I am the Administrator.
    > Thank you for your time, patience and consideration! Thank you very much for
    > all who contribute to helping me get this answered if I can! Talk to ya'll
    > later! Have a great day/night! Bye! :)

    hi! i tried this but sorry it didn't help. thank you!

    "Shondeann" wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I have Windows XP Home Ed. My cd-rom is Samsung SC-148C. I get the error
    > message " Please Insert A Disk Into Drive D" every time I insert a cd. I've
    > tried old and new cds. I still get the error. I've tried doing a system
    > restore. That didn't help at all. I've tried upgrading to Win SP2. I thought
    > that would fix it but it didn't. So I uninstalled SP2. I still get the same
    > error. I've enabled Network Sharing. I thought I disabled IDE Controllers and
    > my cd-rom. The IDE Controllers are greyed out. The CD-rom is not disabled or
    > greyed out.. I've tried searching the last several days on how to fix it but
    > found nothing. I've cleaned the cd-rom tray and disk with a soft cloth. This
    > started occurring several months ago but I have kinda used my cd-rom
    > frequently. I think it's a bad drive. My Drive is D. If I don't get it fixed
    > before then in the next couple of weeks I'm going to get a new optical drive
    > and my friend made me a copy of Win XP Pro so after I get my cd-rom working
    > again I'm gonna upgrade to XP Pro. Get a new mouse and then try SP2 again. I
    > can't wait to get my cd-rom going again. I miss it so much. I miss playing my
    > games and music. I haven't even been able to install my new games that my
    > best friend got me from Christmas until I get it fixed. I can't wait to try
    > my new game cds out. I was hoping I could get it fixed before then but I
    > doubt I can until the next 2 weeks. A couple other things that you need to
    > know: In Disk Management it says Disk 0 and CD-ROM 0 and in D Properties it
    > says Disk 0 and Cd-rom 0 and Used Space 0, Free Space 0 and Capacity 0 bytes.
    > I think I disabled Quota on the D Drive or either it doesn't have one but I'm
    > not sure. I don't see a Quota Tab or a Recording Tab. I am the Administrator.
    > Thank you for your time, patience and consideration! Thank you very much for
    > all who contribute to helping me get this answered if I can! Talk to ya'll
    > later! Have a great day/night! Bye! :)

    i forgot to add last night that i think but i'm not sure but i think i
    disabled the quota tab but i can't re-enable it now that i know of cuz i
    don't see one on d drive or a recording tab. just wanted to add that before i
    forgot to mention it. thank you! ttyl! bye! :)

    "Shondeann" wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I have Windows XP Home Ed. My cd-rom is Samsung SC-148C. I get the error
    > message " Please Insert A Disk Into Drive D" every time I insert a cd. I've
    > tried old and new cds. I still get the error. I've tried doing a system
    > restore. That didn't help at all. I've tried upgrading to Win SP2. I thought
    > that would fix it but it didn't. So I uninstalled SP2. I still get the same
    > error. I've enabled Network Sharing. I thought I disabled IDE Controllers and
    > my cd-rom. The IDE Controllers are greyed out. The CD-rom is not disabled or
    > greyed out.. I've tried searching the last several days on how to fix it but
    > found nothing. I've cleaned the cd-rom tray and disk with a soft cloth. This
    > started occurring several months ago but I have kinda used my cd-rom
    > frequently. I think it's a bad drive. My Drive is D. If I don't get it fixed
    > before then in the next couple of weeks I'm going to get a new optical drive
    > and my friend made me a copy of Win XP Pro so after I get my cd-rom working
    > again I'm gonna upgrade to XP Pro. Get a new mouse and then try SP2 again. I
    > can't wait to get my cd-rom going again. I miss it so much. I miss playing my
    > games and music. I haven't even been able to install my new games that my
    > best friend got me from Christmas until I get it fixed. I can't wait to try
    > my new game cds out. I was hoping I could get it fixed before then but I
    > doubt I can until the next 2 weeks. A couple other things that you need to
    > know: In Disk Management it says Disk 0 and CD-ROM 0 and in D Properties it
    > says Disk 0 and Cd-rom 0 and Used Space 0, Free Space 0 and Capacity 0 bytes.
    > I think I disabled Quota on the D Drive or either it doesn't have one but I'm
    > not sure. I don't see a Quota Tab or a Recording Tab. I am the Administrator.
    > Thank you for your time, patience and consideration! Thank you very much for
    > all who contribute to helping me get this answered if I can! Talk to ya'll
    > later! Have a great day/night! Bye! :)

    My cd-rom issue is resolved now. I got me a new Dell Computer. Thank you all
    for your wonderful help and trying to help me resolve this issue. Thank you
    all! Have a great day/night! Talk to ya'll later! Bye! :)

    Shondra :)
    GA, USA

    "Shondeann" wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I have Windows XP Home Ed. My cd-rom is Samsung SC-148C. I get the error
    > message " Please Insert A Disk Into Drive D" every time I insert a cd. I've
    > tried old and new cds. I still get the error. I've tried doing a system
    > restore. That didn't help at all. I've tried upgrading to Win SP2. I thought
    > that would fix it but it didn't. So I uninstalled SP2. I still get the same
    > error. I've enabled Network Sharing. I thought I disabled IDE Controllers and
    > my cd-rom. The IDE Controllers are greyed out. The CD-rom is not disabled or
    > greyed out.. I've tried searching the last several days on how to fix it but
    > found nothing. I've cleaned the cd-rom tray and disk with a soft cloth. This
    > started occurring several months ago but I have kinda used my cd-rom
    > frequently. I think it's a bad drive. My Drive is D. If I don't get it fixed
    > before then in the next couple of weeks I'm going to get a new optical drive
    > and my friend made me a copy of Win XP Pro so after I get my cd-rom working
    > again I'm gonna upgrade to XP Pro. Get a new mouse and then try SP2 again. I
    > can't wait to get my cd-rom going again. I miss it so much. I miss playing my
    > games and music. I haven't even been able to install my new games that my
    > best friend got me from Christmas until I get it fixed. I can't wait to try
    > my new game cds out. I was hoping I could get it fixed before then but I
    > doubt I can until the next 2 weeks. A couple other things that you need to
    > know: In Disk Management it says Disk 0 and CD-ROM 0 and in D Properties it
    > says Disk 0 and Cd-rom 0 and Used Space 0, Free Space 0 and Capacity 0 bytes.
    > I think I disabled Quota on the D Drive or either it doesn't have one but I'm
    > not sure. I don't see a Quota Tab or a Recording Tab. I am the Administrator.
    > Thank you for your time, patience and consideration! Thank you very much for
    > all who contribute to helping me get this answered if I can! Talk to ya'll
    > later! Have a great day/night! Bye! :)

    I wonder if you realize that making Copies of the Windows Operating System is
    ILLEGAL...and posting a message on a Microsoft Board greatly increases your
    chances of getting caught.....

    Sounded like a Bios or driver issue to me. Either the IDE channels on the
    board were zooked, or not enabled, OR you had a corrupt IDE driver.

    My advice - buy an extended warranty with that Dell - Ive seen more
    Dell/HP/Compaq/Sony's on my bench, than any home built PC.
    Expect the Hard drive to go bad in about 13 months, and other misc. parts.

    "Shondeann" wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I have Windows XP Home Ed. My cd-rom is Samsung SC-148C. I get the error
    > message " Please Insert A Disk Into Drive D" every time I insert a cd. I've
    > tried old and new cds. I still get the error. I've tried doing a system
    > restore. That didn't help at all. I've tried upgrading to Win SP2. I thought
    > that would fix it but it didn't. So I uninstalled SP2. I still get the same
    > error. I've enabled Network Sharing. I thought I disabled IDE Controllers and
    > my cd-rom. The IDE Controllers are greyed out. The CD-rom is not disabled or
    > greyed out.. I've tried searching the last several days on how to fix it but
    > found nothing. I've cleaned the cd-rom tray and disk with a soft cloth. This
    > started occurring several months ago but I have kinda used my cd-rom
    > frequently. I think it's a bad drive. My Drive is D. If I don't get it fixed
    > before then in the next couple of weeks I'm going to get a new optical drive
    > and my friend made me a copy of Win XP Pro so after I get my cd-rom working
    > again I'm gonna upgrade to XP Pro. Get a new mouse and then try SP2 again. I
    > can't wait to get my cd-rom going again. I miss it so much. I miss playing my
    > games and music. I haven't even been able to install my new games that my
    > best friend got me from Christmas until I get it fixed. I can't wait to try
    > my new game cds out. I was hoping I could get it fixed before then but I
    > doubt I can until the next 2 weeks. A couple other things that you need to
    > know: In Disk Management it says Disk 0 and CD-ROM 0 and in D Properties it
    > says Disk 0 and Cd-rom 0 and Used Space 0, Free Space 0 and Capacity 0 bytes.
    > I think I disabled Quota on the D Drive or either it doesn't have one but I'm
    > not sure. I don't see a Quota Tab or a Recording Tab. I am the Administrator.
    > Thank you for your time, patience and consideration! Thank you very much for
    > all who contribute to helping me get this answered if I can! Talk to ya'll
    > later! Have a great day/night! Bye! :)

CD-Rom Windows XP