Cheap Server from HOME backup?

I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.

What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to my
External USB HD backup?

I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD and
it doesnt have that.

Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
>HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
> use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
>
> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
> will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
> my External USB HD backup?
>
> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
> and it doesnt have that.
>
> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

I use these at home http://www.linksys.com/hdd/

Steve

thats a great tip!...thanks!

"Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message

> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
>>HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
>> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC
>> I use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
>>
>> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
>> that will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT)
>> LAN to my External USB HD backup?
>>
>> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
>> and it doesnt have that.
>>
>> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I use these at home http://www.linksys.com/hdd/
>
> Steve

your bottleneck will always be the IDE interface to those USB/1394 drives.
Consider buidling an SATA or SCSI raid workstation with multiple drives for
better I/O and redundancy.

- NuTs

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
>HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
> use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
>
> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
> will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
> my External USB HD backup?
>
> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
> and it doesnt have that.
>
> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
>HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
> use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
>
> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
> will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
> my External USB HD backup?
>
> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
> and it doesnt have that.
>
> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

You could get a USB 2.0 card to put into your laptop. I think that would be
the cheapest way to go. Here is one example I found at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006BAGR/qid=1106011710/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-1483158-2218413?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Hoops

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

i wonder...

is it possible to go out and buy a bunch of SATA drives; stack them in some
sort of case; and use the linksys to tie them to a network as one huge RAID
0 drive? for all i know this may be a standard practice, but i'm not sure
where to look.

"Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message

> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250
GB
> >HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
> > I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC
> > use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
> >
> > What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
that
> > will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN
> > my External USB HD backup?
> >
> > I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
> > and it doesnt have that.
> >
> > Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> I use these at home http://www.linksys.com/hdd/
>
> Steve

To set up SATA or SCSI or IDE/ATA drives as a RAID 0 (or RAID anything) array, a
computer chassis with appropriate memory is required. The drives can do
nothing all by themselves... Ben Myers