Cheap Server from HOME backup?

I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.

What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to my
External USB HD backup?

I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD and
it doesnt have that.

Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about cheap server home backup

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
    >HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
    > I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
    > use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
    >
    > What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
    > will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
    > my External USB HD backup?
    >
    > I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
    > and it doesnt have that.
    >
    > Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks!

    I use these at home http://www.linksys.com/hdd/

    Steve

    thats a great tip!...thanks!

    "Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message

    > "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
    >>HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
    >> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC
    >> I use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
    >>
    >> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
    >> that will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT)
    >> LAN to my External USB HD backup?
    >>
    >> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
    >> and it doesnt have that.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > I use these at home http://www.linksys.com/hdd/
    >
    > Steve

    your bottleneck will always be the IDE interface to those USB/1394 drives.
    Consider buidling an SATA or SCSI raid workstation with multiple drives for
    better I/O and redundancy.

    - NuTs

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
    >HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
    > I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
    > use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
    >
    > What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
    > will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
    > my External USB HD backup?
    >
    > I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
    > and it doesnt have that.
    >
    > Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks!

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
    >HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
    > I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
    > use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
    >
    > What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
    > will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
    > my External USB HD backup?
    >
    > I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
    > and it doesnt have that.
    >
    > Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks!

    You could get a USB 2.0 card to put into your laptop. I think that would be
    the cheapest way to go. Here is one example I found at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006BAGR/qid=1106011710/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-1483158-2218413?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

    i wonder...

    is it possible to go out and buy a bunch of SATA drives; stack them in some
    sort of case; and use the linksys to tie them to a network as one huge RAID
    0 drive? for all i know this may be a standard practice, but i'm not sure
    where to look.

    "Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message

    > "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250
    GB
    > >HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
    > > I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC
    > > use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
    > >
    > > What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
    that
    > > will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN
    > > my External USB HD backup?
    > >
    > > I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
    > > and it doesnt have that.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > I use these at home http://www.linksys.com/hdd/
    >
    > Steve

    To set up SATA or SCSI or IDE/ATA drives as a RAID 0 (or RAID anything) array, a
    computer chassis with appropriate memory is required. The drives can do
    nothing all by themselves... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:33:58 -0500, "hoops" <hoops_1002@aol.com> wrote:

    >i wonder...
    >
    >is it possible to go out and buy a bunch of SATA drives; stack them in some
    >sort of case; and use the linksys to tie them to a network as one huge RAID
    >0 drive? for all i know this may be a standard practice, but i'm not sure
    >where to look.
    >

    >"Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> >I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250
    >GB
    >> >HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
    >> > I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC
    >> > use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
    >> >
    >> > What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
    >that
    >> > will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN
    >> > my External USB HD backup?
    >> >
    >> > I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
    >> > and it doesnt have that.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> >

    >> I use these at home http://www.linksys.com/hdd/
    >>
    >> Steve

Dell LAN Backup HD Servers Computers