Cannot Right Click Desktop or Change Background

March 23, 2005 7:55:02 PM

I recently had a run in with a Trojan virus.
I have eradicated the virus (according to the numerous different scans
performed).

The last remaining issue is I cannot right click my desktop or any icon on
the desktop. Also I cannot change my backgorund at all.
Right click works in other areas (i.e. Internet Explorer), but does NOT work
in Windows Explorer.

Any thoughts? I running out of ideas!
Thanks
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:00:23 PM

EZGruv,

Do a repair installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Anthony

"EZGruv" <EZGruv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently had a run in with a Trojan virus.
> I have eradicated the virus (according to the numerous different scans
> performed).
>
> The last remaining issue is I cannot right click my desktop or any icon on
> the desktop. Also I cannot change my backgorund at all.
> Right click works in other areas (i.e. Internet Explorer), but does NOT
> work
> in Windows Explorer.
>
> Any thoughts? I running out of ideas!
> Thanks
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:16:46 PM

EZGruv,

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right-pane, double-click NoViewContextMenu and set it to 0 if exists.
Similarly check here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"EZGruv" <EZGruv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently had a run in with a Trojan virus.
> I have eradicated the virus (according to the numerous different scans
> performed).
>
> The last remaining issue is I cannot right click my desktop or any icon on
> the desktop. Also I cannot change my backgorund at all.
> Right click works in other areas (i.e. Internet Explorer), but does NOT
> work
> in Windows Explorer.
>
> Any thoughts? I running out of ideas!
> Thanks
March 24, 2005 12:16:47 PM

This brought my right click back. THANKS!!

I still cannot change my background.
Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> EZGruv,
>
> Open Regedit and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> In the right-pane, double-click NoViewContextMenu and set it to 0 if exists.
> Similarly check here:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

March 24, 2005 12:38:48 PM

>> I still cannot change my background.

What happens when you change the background?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> This brought my right click back. THANKS!!
>
> I still cannot change my background.
> Any thoughts on that one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> EZGruv,
>>
>> Open Regedit and navigate to:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>
>> In the right-pane, double-click NoViewContextMenu and set it to 0 if
>> exists.
>> Similarly check here:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>
>> --

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:38:49 PM

I go to Display - Desktop

Background is not an active field. I cannot click any background file, nor
can I set a photo as a backgorund using 'Set as Desktop Background'.

Thanks again

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> >> I still cannot change my background.
>
> What happens when you change the background?

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:15:53 PM

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
-and-
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

*Backup the keys to separate REG files*

Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value of
1.

Navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Backup the keys.
Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

>I go to Display - Desktop
>
> Background is not an active field. I cannot click any background file, nor
> can I set a photo as a backgorund using 'Set as Desktop Background'.
>
> Thanks again

>> What happens when you change the background?

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:15:54 PM

Excellent!! It worked perfectly.
Thank you very much Ramesh!!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Open Regedit and navigate to:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
> -and-
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>
> *Backup the keys to separate REG files*
>
> Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value of
> 1.
>
> Navigate to:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> Backup the keys.
> Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:49:09 PM

You're very welcome EZ.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Excellent!! It worked perfectly.
> Thank you very much Ramesh!!
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Open Regedit and navigate to:
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>> -and-
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>>
>> *Backup the keys to separate REG files*
>>
>> Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value
>> of
>> 1.
>>
>> Navigate to:
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> Backup the keys.
>> Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:29:02 AM

Hi Ramesh,
I'm having the same problem. What do you mean open "regedit"?
Thank you,
Tia

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Open Regedit and navigate to:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
> -and-
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>
> *Backup the keys to separate REG files*
>
> Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value of
> 1.
>
> Navigate to:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> Backup the keys.
> Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "EZGruv" <EZGruv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I go to Display - Desktop
> >
> > Background is not an active field. I cannot click any background file, nor
> > can I set a photo as a backgorund using 'Set as Desktop Background'.
> >
> > Thanks again

> >> What happens when you change the background?

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:28:54 PM

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT

Microsoft Windows XP - Registry Editor overview:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"What does Open Regedit mean?" <What does Open Regedit
mean?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ramesh,
> I'm having the same problem. What do you mean open "regedit"?
> Thank you,
> Tia
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Open Regedit and navigate to:
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>> -and-
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>>
>> *Backup the keys to separate REG files*
>>
>> Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value
>> of
>> 1.
>>
>> Navigate to:
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> Backup the keys.
>> Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "EZGruv" <EZGruv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I go to Display - Desktop
>> >
>> > Background is not an active field. I cannot click any background file,
>> > nor
>> > can I set a photo as a backgorund using 'Set as Desktop Background'.
>> >
>> > Thanks again

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:55:02 PM

im having this same problem.....but i cant find "hkcu"

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Open Regedit and navigate to:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
> -and-
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>
> *Backup the keys to separate REG files*
>
> Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value of
> 1.
>
> Navigate to:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> Backup the keys.
> Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "EZGruv" <EZGruv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I go to Display - Desktop
> >
> > Background is not an active field. I cannot click any background file, nor
> > can I set a photo as a backgorund using 'Set as Desktop Background'.
> >
> > Thanks again

> >> What happens when you change the background?

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:24:04 PM

I'm not trying to be insulting, but you do know that "HKCU" stands for
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER", don't you?

"i cant find "HKCU"" <i cant find "HKCU" @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:CB9C93DB-F46B-40C1-B41A-92E6831EDAE4@microsoft.com...
> im having this same problem.....but i cant find "hkcu"
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Open Regedit and navigate to:
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>> -and-
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
>>
>> *Backup the keys to separate REG files*
>>
>> Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value
>> of
>> 1.
>>
>> Navigate to:
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> Backup the keys.
>> Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "EZGruv" <EZGruv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I go to Display - Desktop
>> >
>> > Background is not an active field. I cannot click any background file,
>> > nor
>> > can I set a photo as a backgorund using 'Set as Desktop Background'.
>> >
>> > Thanks again

April 21, 2005 10:58:12 AM

I really am new at this... and I am trying to fix my computer, but
when I get down to Policies in Regedit.. I only see Explorer, System
and Windows update, I don't see Active Desktop.

Please help.

thanks!

!