Freezing, 9700's, and aiw file compression

First my system: Athlon 1400, A7N8X Deluxe, Radeon 8500 AIW, Windows XP, 2 sticks of Corsair PC2100 256mb, Antec 430 True Power.

When I run 3DMark 2001 SE, My computer usually freezes during the dragonthic (part 2). So I restarted, and ran it again, with dragonthic turned off. Result- car chase didnt even run, computer froze. Any Explanation?

Second: Planning on upgrading system to Barton 2500 with either HyperX or OCZ PC3200 1GB memory. Would a upgrade in graphics card be worth it? If so, I was looking into getting the 9700 series (because of the more pipelines and such compared to 9600). How much better is the 9700Pro to the 9700. There is a significant price difference.

Third: With remaining parts, im going to make another computer using an older mb, and most of the pieces from this machine (including the video card) to make a tv tuner box. But my question is- Does anyone know any programs that can convert the video files the AIW cards make to smaller files. 3gb file for the superbowl was a bit much. (Pretty sure it was around 3 gigs, might have been more, a 30min show is 500megs). I need to find a program that can make those files a lot smaller. I would like free, but im willing to pay a little for quality.

Thank you in advance for any help.
10 answers Last reply
More about freezing 9700 file compression
  1. firstly, dont buy a AMD2500 with 3200ram unless ur going to overclock. there is a big difference between the 9700 and the pro version. a 9700 is only marginally better than a 9600pro.

ur computer was probably struggling with 3dsmark2001 so it just froze. its the computers way of saying its got too much information to handle.

if possible buy a P4 2.4c with eihter a 865pe or 875 chipset motherboard. you will then get full speed out of your ram and your 9700 will run like a treat.

hope that helps

-------------
    Asus P4C800
    2.4C
    Sapphire 9600pro
    80gig SATA HD
    512 Corsair 3200
    ------------
  2. 1. If your computer is freezing, it's unstable. Likely caused by the a driver (video card, chipset, maybe even BIOS) or running your RAM at aggressive timings it can't handle, or in many cases instability is caused by a weak power supply.
    Update all your drivers first, then increase your ram timings to less aggressive settings if that doesn't do it. ALso see if your BIOS has a "Top performance" option, and disable it to see if makes a difference. Your power supply is a monster and shouldn't be the problem.

2. The 9700 is MUCH better than the 9600 PRO, but the 9700 PRO isn't that much better than a 9700 non-pro. In most cases, you can overclock the 9700 to PRO speeds.

But your best bet for the cash is the 9800 non-pro, which runs at 9700 PRO speeds already for not much more than a 9700 non-pro.

3. You can convert video with DvDx and the DivX codec, but it takes some time. And you'll have to capture from the AIW card to MPG1, not MPG2, because the MPG2 file that the AIW's capture is proprietary.

DvDx is free, so is DivX.

------------------
    Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
    AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
    3dMark03: 4055
  3. Cleeve's right, a 9700 is alot better card then the 9600Pro....

<b>I help because you suck</b>
  4. Quote:
    dont buy a AMD2500 with 3200ram unless ur going to overclock.

I plan to. But what I have been hearing is that some 2700 chips are doing nice overclocks themselves. If that is true, I could just overclock the 2700 as I go up with FSB on my barton. Or I could run safely and just underclock the 3200 ram untill i get a steady 200mhz on the barton.

Quote:
    If your computer is freezing, it's unstable. Likely caused by the a driver (video card, chipset, maybe even BIOS) or running your RAM at aggressive timings it can't handle, or in many cases instability is caused by a weak power supply.
    Update all your drivers first, then increase your ram timings to less aggressive settings if that doesn't do it. ALso see if your BIOS has a "Top performance" option, and disable it to see if makes a difference. Your power supply is a monster and shouldn't be the problem.

I would believe my system now would be able to handle 3dmark, I remember running it before, but I cant remember if it was with my old or new video card. If that is the case, maybe I should get new catalyst drivers. And my system is at stock settings: 133mhz, Optimal, SPD-6,3,3,2.5T
    I should also try updating my Asus... Doesn't asus have a program that does it for ya?

Quote:
    You can convert video with DvDx and the DivX codec, but it takes some time. And you'll have to capture from the AIW card to MPG1, not MPG2, because the MPG2 file that the AIW's capture is proprietary.

I have them in mp2 format. I will change that. I tried some converter to DIVX and it took like 3 hours, and after all said and done, it didnt make the file any smaller.. musta messed something up. Do you know of any good programs that converts?

Quote:
    But your best bet for the cash is the 9800 non-pro, which runs at 9700 PRO speeds already for not much more than a 9700 non-pro.

I think ill try for the 9800. What are some good manufacturer's of this card?
    Also, whats the difference in 9800, 9800 pro, 9800SE and 9800XT?

Thanks to all who replied!
  5. 1. Well, your memory timings don't look too aggressive, but do another 3dmark run before worrying about stability.
    New Catalysts are a good idea.

2. Well, if you encode to DivX at the right settings you should be getting MPEG4 class compression which is really good. I rip 2 hour DVDs to 600 meg files so they fit on 1 CD at very acceptable quality (900 bitrate)
    I use the program DVDx along with the DivX codec. (notice the program is DVDx not DivX)

3. Good manufacturers are Sapphire & Ati. I have a powercolor I'm happy with.

9800 = Radeon 9800. Great card

9800 PRO = Radeon 9800 at higher clockspeeds. Better card.

9800 XT = Radeon 9800 at even higher clockspeeds. Best card.

9800 SE = Radeon 9800, with 4 of the 8 pipelines shut off and half of the memory interface. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CARD.

------------------
    Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
    AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
    3dMark03: 4055
  6. When I overclock my 9600 Pro too far, my CPU overheats. Solution? More CPU cooling! But you could have a power problem as well. Not likely on a True Power, but there's a possibility of a small defect.

Also, I don't recommend the latest video card drivers. If you go to the ATI website and check for the latest driver downloads, you'll see a link to the previous version, Catalyst 3.7. This is the version I recommend.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  7. Well, I Updated my drivers. Wish ya said something earlier Crashman, but I got the newest ones. The result- A working pc!

I ran 3dMark2001 and got a 8506! Alright!! my pc rocks!

Thanks again for your help guys

Oh yeah, anyone know a good program to do those dvdx and divx convertions?
  8. Forgot to add. On the Details on my computer (from the 3dmark2001 thing) it tells me: AGP Rates (Current/Available) 2x / 1x 2x I have an asus A7N8X deluxe... what gives? Did I accidently disable 4x?

EDIT: I went into bios and the AGP 8X was disabled, i renabled it, and the 3dmark told me I now have 4x. Reran the 3dmark2001 and got 8530.. no change<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Drexel on 10/24/03 07:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  9. Quote:
    9800 SE = Radeon 9800, with 4 of the 8 pipelines shut off and half of the memory interface. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CARD.

Look at the PowerColor 9800SE in this review you stupid moron and tell me that it's a 128bit memory architecture card.
    <A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/sapphire-4.html" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/sapphire-4.html</A>
  10. The 3.8's work on most systems but cause problems on a few, that's why I said 3.7's. But if the 3.8's work, that's good too!

There's no gain in 8x, a small one should be seen in switching from 2x to 4x.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards File Compression Graphics Product