Laserjet 5MP and network card

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a second hand Laserjet 5Mp and I'm interested in putting
it on my network.
I'm interested in the J2552-60003 network interface but I'm not clear
whether they are compatible or not and I'm a bit lost with all the
technical references on Hp's support site.

Any tips ?
Thanks in advance,
--
Artturi
Corriger mon courriel pour m'écrire

"Artturi" <artturi.nospam@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to buy a second hand Laserjet 5Mp and I'm interested in
> putting
> it on my network.
> I'm interested in the J2552-60003 network interface but I'm not clear
> whether they are compatible or not and I'm a bit lost with all the
> technical references on Hp's support site.
>
> Any tips ?
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Artturi
> Corriger mon courriel pour m'écrire

I'm not familiar with the 5MP - the "Printerworks" site is a good source
of info for all HP laserjets, and the 5MP is described here:
http://www.printerworks.com/DataSheets/laserjet5P.html

I get the impression from there that it doesn't take the J2552
slot-in network cards - those are used in the L/J4, 4+, 4V, 5, 5Si (and
the corresponding 'M's, of course - the M indicating that it has
Postscript) and in several other printers.
It may be, of course, that you've been offered a 5MP and are
considering buying that. But if you are 'open' to what you buy you
should perhaps consider buying a L/J5M - it's a better (heavier duty)
machine, and lots of ex-corporate machines are coming on the market
quite cheaply now. If you don't need Postscript then the L/J5 will do -
same machine without the P/S simm, and more are to be found. About 50%
of these machines will be found to have the network card you mention
already fitted, but those cards can be picked up quite cheaply anyway.
If you wish to save a little money look out for a L/J4+ (or 4M+):
these use the same print engine as the L/J5, but were manufactured a
little earlier.

--
DB.

DB. wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the 5MP - the "Printerworks" site is a good source
> of info for all HP laserjets, and the 5MP is described here:
> http://www.printerworks.com/DataSheets/laserjet5P.html
>
> I get the impression from there that it doesn't take the J2552
> slot-in network cards - those are used in the L/J4, 4+, 4V, 5, 5Si (and
> the corresponding 'M's, of course - the M indicating that it has
> Postscript) and in several other printers.
> It may be, of course, that you've been offered a 5MP and are
> considering buying that. But if you are 'open' to what you buy you
> should perhaps consider buying a L/J5M - it's a better (heavier duty)
> machine, and lots of ex-corporate machines are coming on the market
> quite cheaply now. If you don't need Postscript then the L/J5 will do -
> same machine without the P/S simm, and more are to be found. About 50%
> of these machines will be found to have the network card you mention
> already fitted, but those cards can be picked up quite cheaply anyway.
> If you wish to save a little money look out for a L/J4+ (or 4M+):
> these use the same print engine as the L/J5, but were manufactured a
> little earlier.

Thanks for your tips, It'll be helpful for my future printer buys !

--
Artturi
Corriger mon courriel pour m'écrire

<< I'm planning to buy a second hand Laserjet 5Mp and I'm interested in putting
it on my network. >>

Artturi-

I suggest you check data for that specific printer on HP's web site, rather
than just the network card. HP has various manuals such as the owners manual
and an installation manual on line for download. The reference DB posted
should also provide useful information.

I'm also not familiar with that specific model. I get the impression that it
has minimum capability, made to be sold to the home user rather than to
commercial users. It may only have a parallel port with no slots for network
cards.

If it does have slot(s), there will be one or more slot cover plates near the
parallel port connector, probably with letters stamped nearby such as "EIO" or,
"NIO". If so, it will probably take an interface card of that family. Some
families include ethernet, AppleTalk, USB, wireless, et cetera.

If it doesn't have the capability for an internal network card, there may still
be a chance it can be used with an external print server. I understand HP
makes them (JetDirect), and other companies may also. The owners manual should
list such options.

If network access is important, perhaps you should consider DB's suggestion to
look for a better model. Some, such as the 5 Si/Mx, have an optional duplexer
for two-sided printing, use larger paper, and accept network cards. You might
be lucky and find a used one that has both the duplexer and a network card
already installed.

Fred