When to upgrade from TI4200?

botski

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Hello,

I have been a happy Ti4200 owner for about 6 months now and have started thinking about upgrading.

Are any of the sub $200 cards worth upgrading to? My initial research says "no", but there are so many cards out there now that I may be missing one.

Thanks!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Im in the same boat as you. Ive had a GF4 Ti4200 for about a year now, and I really want to upgrade to play Halo. But the thing is in order to get a worthwhile performance boost I would have to get an R9800 Pro, which still costs far to much for me (in UK). I've decided to wait until I really need a new card (until a viable upgrade path only costs £100), which im hoping will be sometime just after christmas.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
The answer to WHEN, is when you own a game that doesn't play enough for you.

As far as WHAT to upgrade to, I wouldn't upgrade to anything less than a Radeon 9700 non-pro, or 9800 non-pro. Both are over $200 though (but below $240)

The 9600 pro/XT and 5700 ULTRA don't offer enough of an advantage over the Ti4200 to bother with.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9600 pro/XT and 5700 ULTRA don't offer enough of an advantage over the Ti4200 to bother with.
Unless you like EYE CANDY! I've had MotoGP2 on my system for MONTHS and thought it was a ho-hum game until I installed a DX9 card, the new visuals are w00t-a-riffic!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/game/20031018/index.html" target="_new">MotoGP2 is!</A>

I'm telling you d00d, it's w00t-a-riffic!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/ati-AiW9600Pro/index.html" target="_new">This Card</A> And I don't mean a card LIKE that one, I mean THAT card!

No there isn't enough to justify $200. The only one even close would be an R9700non-pro or the like if you can find one that cheap.

BTW, why do you want to upgrade? What game isn't playing the way you want/need?

Unless you can answer that question then you are just blowing your money. And if you needed the NEWEST and BEST, then you wouldn't still have that GF4 now would you?

My advice, wait for something to make you feel FORCED to upgrade, like a game that kills your card. With the GF4 you may have to wait much longer than those who recently bought an FX5200. IMO.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I am kinda in the same boat - I bought a GF3 Ti200 when they first came out and have been holding out for the next gen of cards for a while. I am waiting either for the 9800 to drop to ~$200 or for a $200 card in the next gen to emerge (ie a lower end new card). It might be a while, but I figure that is ok since a lot of good games have been delayed (HL2, Doom3, etc).