Dell Dimension 2400 and itegrated Intel Extreme Graphics- ..

My in-laws bought a Dell Dimension 2400 with the integrated 82845G graphics
chip. They're having some graphics problems running some games (Zoo Tycoon
2), and since there's no agp slot I'm considering adding a pci vid card.
The docs say that an agp card would automatically override the 82845 chip,
but is there a jumper or switch to allow a pci vid card? Would it
automatically disable the onboard vid chip?

It's funny- when they bought the system they were sure it would be only for
email and business aps. Now they're trying to play games.

thanks in advance!
3 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 2400 itegrated intel extreme graphics

    Good computer for email, business apps, even things like AutoCad or photo
    editing. Mediocre for games.

    Installing a PCI graphics card automatically disables the on-board graphics on
    any modern Intel-designed motherboard such as the one in the 2400. Or tell your
    in-laws to get serious and stop playing games... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:37:12 -0500, "nobody special" <nospam@4methankz.com>
    wrote:

    >My in-laws bought a Dell Dimension 2400 with the integrated 82845G graphics
    >chip. They're having some graphics problems running some games (Zoo Tycoon
    >2), and since there's no agp slot I'm considering adding a pci vid card.
    >The docs say that an agp card would automatically override the 82845 chip,
    >but is there a jumper or switch to allow a pci vid card? Would it
    >automatically disable the onboard vid chip?
    >
    >It's funny- when they bought the system they were sure it would be only for
    >email and business aps. Now they're trying to play games.
    >
    >thanks in advance!

    Not on a 2400 with XP. This would setup a dual monitor setup (that's how I
    run mine).

    Once it is setup, with the monitor connected to the active card (likely the
    PCI), go into display setup and ONLY have that monitor active.

    Tom

    > Not on a 2400 with XP. This would setup a dual monitor setup (that's how
    > I run mine).
    >
    > Once it is setup, with the monitor connected to the active card (likely
    > the PCI), go into display setup and ONLY have that monitor active.

    Thanks!

    > Tom
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> Good computer for email, business apps, even things like AutoCad or photo
    >> editing. Mediocre for games.
    >>
    >> Installing a PCI graphics card automatically disables the on-board
    >> graphics on
    >> any modern Intel-designed motherboard such as the one in the 2400. Or
    >> tell your
    >> in-laws to get serious and stop playing games... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:37:12 -0500, "nobody special"
    >> <nospam@4methankz.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My in-laws bought a Dell Dimension 2400 with the integrated 82845G
    >>>graphics
    >>>chip. They're having some graphics problems running some games (Zoo
    >>>Tycoon
    >>>2), and since there's no agp slot I'm considering adding a pci vid card.
    >>>The docs say that an agp card would automatically override the 82845
    >>>chip,
    >>>but is there a jumper or switch to allow a pci vid card? Would it
    >>>automatically disable the onboard vid chip?
    >>>
    >>>It's funny- when they bought the system they were sure it would be only
    >>>for
    >>>email and business aps. Now they're trying to play games.
    >>>
    >>>thanks in advance!

Dell Chip Graphics Dimension Computers