Startup and SafeMode

Hi
I have windows xp pro and just recently went to start my computer and it
hangs after the XP logo appears. When pressing F8, my options: Safe Mode and
Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known
Configuration and Start Normally.

I notice there is not an option to choose to start in normal with command
prompt. When I choose safe mode, it comes up showing safe mode in all 4
corners, the build type and a black screen. No Start Menu option - its just
all black. I can see my mouse move around.

Anyone with any suggestions on what to do. I would appreciate all the help.

Thank You

Laura

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:60DCCC16-2767-4304-B7AF-47E70CAFA938@microsoft.com,
hoogland91 <hoogland91@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi
> I have windows xp pro and just recently went to start my computer and
> it hangs after the XP logo appears. When pressing F8, my options:
> Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command
> Prompt, Last Known Configuration and Start Normally.
>
> I notice there is not an option to choose to start in normal with
> command prompt. When I choose safe mode, it comes up showing safe
> mode in all 4 corners, the build type and a black screen. No Start
> Menu option - its just all black. I can see my mouse move around.
>
> Anyone with any suggestions on what to do. I would appreciate all
> the help.
>
> Thank You
>
> Laura

Start in safe mode as you had. When it comes up type press CTRL + ALT + DEL
and then run a new task of "explorer.exe" without the quotes. Does this
bring up your desktop? If so then scan for malware with your AV or restore
to an earlier time.

Galen

Hi Again

I tried the CTRL + ALT + DEL and still nothing happens. Its like the
keyboard is not responding. Any of suggestions I could try would be really
helpful.

Thanks

Laura

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:60DCCC16-2767-4304-B7AF-47E70CAFA938@microsoft.com,
> hoogland91 <hoogland91@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Hi
> > I have windows xp pro and just recently went to start my computer and
> > it hangs after the XP logo appears. When pressing F8, my options:
> > Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command
> > Prompt, Last Known Configuration and Start Normally.
> >
> > I notice there is not an option to choose to start in normal with
> > command prompt. When I choose safe mode, it comes up showing safe
> > mode in all 4 corners, the build type and a black screen. No Start
> > Menu option - its just all black. I can see my mouse move around.
> >
> > Anyone with any suggestions on what to do. I would appreciate all
> > the help.
> >
> > Thank You
> >
> > Laura
>
> Start in safe mode as you had. When it comes up type press CTRL + ALT + DEL
> and then run a new task of "explorer.exe" without the quotes. Does this
> bring up your desktop? If so then scan for malware with your AV or restore
> to an earlier time.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:34BA06EE-8F18-4331-B153-F359E334B2CC@microsoft.com,
hoogland91 <hoogland91@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi Again
>
> I tried the CTRL + ALT + DEL and still nothing happens. Its like the
> keyboard is not responding. Any of suggestions I could try would be
> really helpful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Laura

Why is it that I always pick the bad ones? No, not you, the problems...
Seems that I'm inclined to pick odd ones out of the bunch. You can't get in
via safe mode without networking, you can't get in with last known good
configuration, there's no specific error, and explorer won't load from a
manual start because the three finger salute isn't working. Okay... Insert
your CD and do a repair installation. I sooooooooo hate recommending
that.... Anyhow... That's what I'd recommend next BUT I'm going to ask that
you wait 24 hours or so to see if anyone else comes along with an option. I
hate to recommend this...

Just so you can read up on it while you wait for additional advice:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Galen