Problem with dvd-rw drive

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello all,

I'm new to xp so forgive my ignorance. I have a dvd-rw drive which I've
used to copy several downloaded files to a cdrw for archival purposes. When
I tried to copy a file from this cdrw back to my hd, I got an error message
that said "cannot copy xxxx: data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

I ejected the cd and put it in my win98 box and it read the files and copied
them from the cdrw with no problem. What am I doing wrong in xp?

BTW, I did a websearch on the "cyclic redundancy check" error message and
the only thing I could find was that the file or cdrw is corrupt (crc
error). If that were the case, then it seems the file wouldn't be usable on
my win98 system, which it is.
7 answers Last reply
More about problem drive
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    jt wrote:
    > I'm new to xp so forgive my ignorance. I have a dvd-rw drive which
    > I've used to copy several downloaded files to a cdrw for archival
    > purposes. When I tried to copy a file from this cdrw back to my hd,
    > I got an error message that said "cannot copy xxxx: data error
    > (cyclic redundancy check)."
    > I ejected the cd and put it in my win98 box and it read the files and
    > copied them from the cdrw with no problem. What am I doing wrong in
    > xp?
    > BTW, I did a websearch on the "cyclic redundancy check" error message
    > and the only thing I could find was that the file or cdrw is corrupt
    > (crc error). If that were the case, then it seems the file wouldn't
    > be usable on my win98 system, which it is.

    Given everything you said..
    The drive itself has issues. (Hardware)

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In news:d1s0e.51629$5T6.15756@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
    jt <jt@jt.jt> had this to say:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm new to xp so forgive my ignorance. I have a dvd-rw drive which
    > I've used to copy several downloaded files to a cdrw for archival
    > purposes. When I tried to copy a file from this cdrw back to my hd,
    > I got an error message that said "cannot copy xxxx: data error
    > (cyclic redundancy check)."
    > I ejected the cd and put it in my win98 box and it read the files and
    > copied them from the cdrw with no problem. What am I doing wrong in
    > xp?
    > BTW, I did a websearch on the "cyclic redundancy check" error message
    > and the only thing I could find was that the file or cdrw is corrupt
    > (crc error). If that were the case, then it seems the file wouldn't
    > be usable on my win98 system, which it is.

    Two things:

    First: Use a real burning solution. Don't rely on XP's internal burner
    capability, if you have this already turn off XP's ability to burn. Why have
    them both run? It only causes problems.

    Second: Triple check to make sure the CDRW in the newer box is functioning
    properly. You seem to have two of them. Check to see if the older one works
    in the new box, a pain? Yes but better to check NOW while it may still be
    warrantied then to pay for a new one later. Does the new CDRW work in the
    old computer? Test it and see... I've RMAed a number of drives in the past 6
    months. I'm happy with AOpen if that helps.

    Galen
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In news:u5qpAoDMFHA.656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> had this to say:

    > jt wrote:
    >> I'm new to xp so forgive my ignorance. I have a dvd-rw drive which
    >> I've used to copy several downloaded files to a cdrw for archival
    >> purposes. When I tried to copy a file from this cdrw back to my hd,
    >> I got an error message that said "cannot copy xxxx: data error
    >> (cyclic redundancy check)."
    >> I ejected the cd and put it in my win98 box and it read the files and
    >> copied them from the cdrw with no problem. What am I doing wrong in
    >> xp?
    >> BTW, I did a websearch on the "cyclic redundancy check" error message
    >> and the only thing I could find was that the file or cdrw is corrupt
    >> (crc error). If that were the case, then it seems the file wouldn't
    >> be usable on my win98 system, which it is.
    >
    > Given everything you said..
    > The drive itself has issues. (Hardware)
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Shenan,

    I don't know you nor do I want to start anything that you'd consider
    offensive. I follow the Sherlock Holmes method. I will finish...

    At first I read your posts and I thought that you posted the same thing
    every time. I almost kill filed you to be honest to avoid
    reading/downloading the answers. I bumped into some that were not the same
    cut/paste and decided I'd not do so at that time. I'm glad I didn't.

    The problem COULD be hardware and COULD be software... What if, for
    instance, the software used for burning didn't support checking for warped
    media and couldn't write to it? What if they got a garbage batch of DVDs or
    bought cheap media incompatable with their hardware? I have, for instance, a
    chunk of 100 DVDs that I'd give you for the low price of asking because I
    can't seem to burn VHS to them no matter what analoge converter I use while
    any other name brand burns them just fine. For date they work great.
    Anything else? They bite... Given everything the OP said I'd say check the
    drive on a separate OS or with alternate software. I would certainly try a
    different brand of media first... If the drive is still faulty return it
    ASAP while hopefully it's warrantied.

    Why do I post this? Add this? Because you're active here and I hope that I'm
    right. I'm always hoping that the fault is less expensive and try the simple
    solutions first. People have 'flamed' you in the past and I am not one to do
    that. Instead I'll ask why you said something... I'm not always right... I
    hope for a 50/50 percentile ;) Better than a major league baseball player ;)
    Anyhow, I've read your posts... You, and a number of other's, are flagged as
    "posts of interest" and coloured a rather horrid magenta color (sorry about
    that but it's the last color remaining with my rule set that would not
    confuzzle me) so please don't take this as a flame but rather a quest to
    understand what it was in the first place that got me to flag your posts.

    My reply to email is valid if you feel offended or if you think that this is
    a topic best removed from the group.

    Galen

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Answer to OP/Galen within..

    jt wrote:
    > I'm new to xp so forgive my ignorance. I have a dvd-rw drive which
    > I've used to copy several downloaded files to a cdrw for archival
    > purposes. When I tried to copy a file from this cdrw back to my hd,
    > I got an error message that said "cannot copy xxxx: data error
    > (cyclic redundancy check)."
    > I ejected the cd and put it in my win98 box and it read the files and
    > copied them from the cdrw with no problem. What am I doing wrong in
    > xp?
    > BTW, I did a websearch on the "cyclic redundancy check" error message
    > and the only thing I could find was that the file or cdrw is corrupt
    > (crc error). If that were the case, then it seems the file wouldn't
    > be usable on my win98 system, which it is.

    First - the sections specific to the OP...

    Galen wrote:
    > The problem COULD be hardware and COULD be software... What if, for
    > instance, the software used for burning didn't support checking for
    > warped media and couldn't write to it? What if they got a garbage
    > batch of DVDs or bought cheap media incompatable with their hardware?
    > I have, for instance, a chunk of 100 DVDs that I'd give you for the
    > low price of asking because I can't seem to burn VHS to them no
    > matter what analoge converter I use while any other name brand burns
    > them just fine. For date they work great. Anything else? They bite...
    > Given everything the OP said I'd say check the drive on a separate OS
    > or with alternate software. I would certainly try a different brand
    > of media first... If the drive is still faulty return it ASAP while
    > hopefully it's warrantied.

    Galen is correct. I too have gotten several "batches" of CDs/DVDs that
    could be burned and read in one CD/DVD drive, but not others. I have not
    ran into the OS/driver problem, merely quality of CD/DVD issues - usually
    equated in the end to the quality of the hardware itself. I still have an
    older HP CD burner that reads CDs other CD drives cannot.. And I have had
    better luck with my Plextor DVD drive reading everything given to me than
    other drives.

    This is what leads me to believe your problem is hardware related. There is
    a quality difference in hardware that has been made obvious to me throughout
    usage over time. The fact that my HP CD drive reads CDs others give me
    while other drives I have access to will not tells me that even if the media
    is at fault, a quality drive can make up the difference. The Plextor DVD
    drive pattern for me also points in that direction (for me anyway.) (What
    is surprising is that the CDs the HP will read.. well the Plextor DVD drive
    sometimes won't read.. even though it has read DVD media in the past my
    other DVD drives could not.)

    Galen's point about checking the drive with an alternative OS is very valid
    in this instance.. Since the OP definitely has this access. Swap the drive
    out and see what happens. Worst case, you've wasted 30 minutes. Best case,
    it will point to a more precise reason for the problem.

    Now the sections more specific to myself..

    Galen wrote:
    > I don't know you nor do I want to start anything that you'd consider
    > offensive. I follow the Sherlock Holmes method. I will finish...
    >
    > At first I read your posts and I thought that you posted the same
    > thing every time. I almost kill filed you to be honest to avoid
    > reading/downloading the answers. I bumped into some that were not the
    > same cut/paste and decided I'd not do so at that time. I'm glad I
    > didn't.

    I appreciate that. Yes - I do post the "long post" quite often. Often
    enough that hopefully it comes up in Google searches by now. heh However, I
    also give other advice.. I came up with that long post from experience and
    since my experiencing has not ended, my answers constantly adjust as well.
    Sometimes the long post is not needed and in those instances, I do not post
    it. There have been times where it was overkill, and there have been times
    where my answers were incorrect. You cannot learn by always being right.
    hah

    > Why do I post this? Add this? Because you're active here and I hope
    > that I'm right. I'm always hoping that the fault is less expensive
    > and try the simple solutions first. People have 'flamed' you in the
    > past and I am not one to do that. Instead I'll ask why you said
    > something... I'm not always right... I hope for a 50/50 percentile ;)
    > Better than a major league baseball player ;) Anyhow, I've read your
    > posts... You, and a number of other's, are flagged as "posts of
    > interest" and coloured a rather horrid magenta color (sorry about
    > that but it's the last color remaining with my rule set that would
    > not confuzzle me) so please don't take this as a flame but rather a
    > quest to understand what it was in the first place that got me to
    > flag your posts.

    From what I read, you were right - I overlooked something that could be a
    more obvious/less expensive solution. The OP does have a unique position
    where the CDs are written but cannot be read on the system they were written
    on - but are read just fine (on all things) an older (likely) Windows 98
    system! Really strange. My bet still goes for "low-quality hardware", but
    if they can fix it with an update, moving the drive to another channel or
    just trying out a better quality media.. That would be fantastic!

    > My reply to email is valid if you feel offended or if you think that
    > this is a topic best removed from the group.

    Nah - I prefer people to critique and think rather than just take advice
    blindly or turn a blind eye. I have never "kill-filed" anyone - mostly
    because I don't get "offended" (usually - this has been a trying month
    anyway) easily and because even those who give "wrong" answers or are just
    blow-hards looking for a fight (trolls even) - sometimes shine a light on
    something I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

    I appreciate your comments.. I do not take offense to them and look forward
    to noticing more of your posts around here!

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In news:OR3qZzEMFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> [...]

    > for "low-quality hardware", but if they can fix it with an update,
    > moving the drive to another channel or just trying out a better
    > quality media.. That would be fantastic!
    >> My reply to email is valid if you feel offended or if you think that
    >> this is a topic best removed from the group.
    >
    > Nah - I prefer people to critique and think rather than just take
    > advice blindly or turn a blind eye. I have never "kill-filed" anyone
    > - mostly because I don't get "offended" (usually - this has been a
    > trying month anyway) easily and because even those who give "wrong"
    > answers or are just blow-hards looking for a fight (trolls even) -
    > sometimes shine a light on something I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
    >
    > I appreciate your comments.. I do not take offense to them and look
    > forward to noticing more of your posts around here!

    Hah, don't notice my posts. I'm just a Galen. When presented with a question
    I tend to ask why. I follow many posts and read often. You probably don't
    know who I am unless you're good with your Google. I'm not an MVP at the
    moment though I have been in the past, I lapsed, but haven't a desire to
    type it all out again. I am not an Microsoft employee nor anything as
    grandiose. I'm just a curious person who's found your posts to be often
    comprised of the same information but unusually apt in a number of
    instances. I've kill-filed many people. I will do so more in the future. I
    do so because my time is better spent dealing with important issues than
    dealing with petty issues. It took a while to learn the value of the filters
    but they're worth it in my opinion. Your instinct, hardware, might indeed be
    correct though I'm an AOpen person myself.

    Galen

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Galen wrote:
    > In news:u5qpAoDMFHA.656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> had this to say:

    Of course. Where the hell else would it be?

    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In news:d201f4.2v4.1@133.256.1.103.MISMATCH,
    Rebecca <nospam@godlikebuthumble.com> had this to say:

    > Galen wrote:
    >> In news:u5qpAoDMFHA.656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> had this to say:

    > Of course. Where the hell else would it be?
    >
    > http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

    LOL Thanks for the smile :) Yeah, I add that because well... It's automated
    and so many people continue to top-post and there's still an amazing number
    of people who aren't familiar with newsgroups so I leave the message there
    to avoid confusing them. I only change it on the rare occasions when I post
    in-line or interspersed.

    Galen

DVD RW Windows XP Microsoft