Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I just built my first PC using an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo with an Intel 2.8 with 800 Mhz FSB. For RAM I'm using twin sticks of Kingston HyperX 256 PC3200 in slots 1 and 3. For a graphics card I'm using an ATI Radeon 9500 pro. My HD is a WD 120 with 8mb cache. The installation seemed to go well, but now that I'm trying to install a new XP operating system it never completes the install. The setup program hangs at different places. I was told by a friend that it may be the aftermarket round cables I'm using, but I sort of doubt it. I'll check that when I get home. I didn't tweak anything in BIOS and I'm wondering if I should have. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
No, it's a clean install. I finally got it to go all the way through. I think it may be a bad stick of RAM. I took out one stick and it still crashed, then I swapped that one with the one I took out and it went through. What's weird is, I then put the suspect RAM back in and it didn't crash. Now, I'm having problems with the system rebooting by itself every few minutes. It started after I tried to network to my son's computer. After I went through the network wizard it started the rebooting thing. I took out the suspect RAM stick and it still did it. I just deleted the network item and so far it hasn't rebooted in about an hour. I don't know why that would cause a reboot, (and it may not have) but it was the only other thing I could think of to try. I still don't feel confident that everything is working properly. Any ideas of what else would cause the automatic shutdown and reboot?

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
What are you using for a power supply? I'd also consider the motherboard a possibility. I'm checking around for some info, I'll post back later.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I'm using a brand new Antec case with an Antec True 430 power supply. I'm also wondering if it's a compatibility problem with the 9500 Pro card. I see that my version is older than the one they recommend in the docs for the mobo. Another guy seems to be having a problem and is using that card too. (don't know his version though.)